WIN: A mega bundle of Christmas prizes - worth more than £1000! Click here to enter | No thanks
Peugeot 406 Alternator  
Peugeot 406 Alternator - Amarok1964
I have a "battery charge fault " message on my display and a whining noice from my alternatoer. does this mean the death of my alternator which means renewing, your comments please of wise ones,

Tags: technical issues batteries engine car prices suspension

Peugeot 406 Alternator - Amarok1964
By the way its a 2000 "W" 2.0 HDi Estate with 96,000 mls on the clock
Peugeot 406 Alternator - bell boy
get a free alternator check at any half decent garage or even a trade alternator place before you "splash the cash" (even halfords might do a free check?)
Looking at my screen it looks like you are only getting 14.5 volts at 3000 revs but my amd chip may be lying ;)
Peugeot 406 Alternator - Hugo {P}
You can get it tested at a lucas centre. I don't know what they charge.

Your thread has been moved over here as it will generate more responses in this forum.
Peugeot 406 Alternator - robcars
You could do with a ohmmeter reading from the alternator but a voltage reading will suffice for now.

Post back if you got either with any readings you get.
Peugeot 406 Alternator - 659FBE
You can't check an alternator functionally with an ohmmeter without dismantling it as the phase windings effectively bridge the diode pairs, masking the effect of an open circuit diode.

A voltage check is useful, but if you have a whining noise which is non-mechanical in origin, this generally indicates a diode fault. The machine becomes magnetically noisy with a faulty diode bechause the phases are no longer balanced. The diodes can indeed be checked with an ohmmeter, but you must disconnect the stator first.

I have seen a few Valeo machines of this vintage with faulty stators - the windings come out of the slots, are hit by the rotor and then break and/or are grounded. This will be obvious if you dismantle the machine - remember that Valeo stators are not self-centering. This fault also gives magnetic noise due to phase imbalance.

Peugeot 406 Alternator - Galaxy
Your thread has been moved over here as it will generate
more responses in this forum.

Haaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!
Peugeot 406 Alternator - Pugugly {P}
I don't know what they charge. - The Battery !
Peugeot 406 Alternator - MW
Sounds like a duff alternator, but do go to a good auto-electrician. I have found they know 10 times as much about car electrics as any garage. Alternators in particular are their bread and butter.

Join the discussion

Buying Advice

Honest John's Newsletter

Connect with Honest John

Facebook YouTube