Mazda 323 - 1.6 Noisy engine at startup - Mazda Owner
Hi,

Have a Mazda 323 1.6 (2001 model range).

When starting-up the engine after it's been standing for several hours there's a loud tapping noise. It lasts about 30 seconds then suddenly stops.

I guess, although I'm not sure, it's a valve and it's starved of lubrication immediately after a cold start.

I'm not too worried about it but it sounds like a set of castanets!

Any recommendations of having an engine flush when the oil is next changed? Would an engine flush sort these kind of issues?

Otherwise, I guess it's down to the local Mazda dealer one morning, leave it there all day and return in the afternoon and fire it up.
Mazda 323 - 1.6 Noisy engine at startup - kithmo
I wouldn't flush it, but I don't believe in engine flush treatments, they can cause more problems than they can cure . if you haven't got one fitted already, you might want to try fitting an OEM oil filter, which should have a decent non-return valve in it compared to some non-OEM filters.
Mazda 323 - 1.6 Noisy engine at startup - bell boy
agree 100% with kith
Mazda 323 - 1.6 Noisy engine at startup - debugslife
Hi

Sounds like a duff hydraulic tappet or tappets. My Audi sounded terrible in the morning for about 2 seconds but was otherwise ok. Sorry I don't know if the Mazda 323 has hydraulic tappets.
Mazda 323 - 1.6 Noisy engine at startup - Aprilia
Agree with comment about the filter - fit a genuine one. And make sure the correct oil is in the engine.
Mazda 323 - 1.6 Noisy engine at startup - ChicksFan
I second what Aprilia says: correct oil filter, correct oil. Wouldn't bother with a flush.

Ron