Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - A12FYY
I have an Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 TS (2001), recently I have noticed the car has been running very hot. I've had the thermostat replaced a few days ago, but this didn't sort it!

Driving at low speeds and through slow moving traffic the car's temp reaches to around 100 on the temp gauge causing the fan to kick in. Also when pushing the car hard it also tends to heat up rapidly, again causing the fan to kick in!

I have checked the oil and water and they are fine (no mix of either!). My next plan of action was to attempt to replace the water pump, however before I do this I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what could be causing the car to be running hot?

cheers.

Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - tr7v8
Radiator would be an obvious thought, or as you say water pump, don't forget it'll be new cambelt & balance belt as well.
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - Roberson
Haven't tampered with the ignition timing in any way have you? I had some work done on my car a little while ago, and the garage mal-adjusted the timing. Although not enough to be audibly pinking, it still ran hot.

Just a thought
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - Number_Cruncher
Yes, retarded timing can cause overheating, while advanced timing can cause knocking.

Are there any other symptoms other than the overheating? Poor performance?

The other obvious thing to look at is a silted up radiator and/or block.

Number_Cruncher
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - A12FYY
Thanks for the comments...

The ignition timing hasn't been played about with to my knowledge. The cambelt was changed fairly recently at around 40,000 miles, the car has now done 55,000.

In terms of any other symptoms, I would say there aren't any, apart from the fact that when I run my heater on hot it cools the car down. Also the car started acting like this since we had this spate of hot weather, which meant I was using the AC. However even though the weather has now cooled and I haven't been using the AC it is still running hot!

I was thinking the radiator too, but I've been told that the car is too new to have a radiator blocking, don?t know if this is true?

I'm going to give the water pump a try now, and see if it helps.

Is there anyway of checking for a blocked radiator?
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - Collos25
It sounds very much like a blocked radiator you can pressure test them but they really need to be out of the car.When you say by putting the car heater on it lowers the heat is the giveaway as this is in effect making your radiator larger and drawing the heat off.If you are absolutely sure the electric fan is coming on and the blades are turning go for the radiator.Water pump is a last resort because they tend to fail completely .
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - jc2
If you get heat to the heater,then the water pump appears OK.
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 - temp running hot! - Altea Ego
With the aircon on the radiator fans are on all the time. It realy does sound like circulation problems throught the radiator, but nothing as bad as an airlock or water pump.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >