Orange stickers - colin
A sensitive one, this, but here goes.

Why is it that if I park on a double yellow on a corner, it creates a dangerous obstruction. However if my neighbour with an orange sticker does so then it doesn't?
Re: Orange stickers - KB
If it's any consolation, a good many years some time ago my father parked on a single yellow whilst displaying an Orange Badge, but just yards from a busy junction. He did get a ticket for cauing obstruction. It's always been my understanding that the O/B doesn't mean you can park anywhere and it says that on the conditions issued with it.

KB.
Re: Orange stickers - Tom Shaw
An orange badge would not entitle the holder to park on a corner, as he would still have to comply with the regulation which prohibits parking within ten metres of a junction, even though he could ignore the yellow lines.

I sympathise with the sentiments of your view, however. Orange badges seem to be handed out to everyone who suffers from dandruff upwards, and it can be bloody annoying when you have to leave a car park because you can't find a space while there are half-a-dozen bays with disabled markings standing empty.
I don't so much mind the empty bays - they are there to be used by people that need them and if no-one needs them at any one time, then so be it. What is far more irritating to me, is able bodied people filling the spaces so that when there is genuine need the disabled driver in question can't get anywhere near his/her destination. I'm not disabled (yet) but find it irritating to see healthy but (usually) lazy/inconsiderate people parking there.

What DOES need to be done is tighter supervision of the issue of the things and then regular 'proper' checks that they are still genuinely needed, This, I know, doesn't happen and it's this that is at the root cause of the problem. I'm also aware that they get nicked and hence the regular checks needing to be made. No genuine disabled driver can object to this - it is in everyones interest.

Trust my views don't create the desire for anyone to render me disabled.

KB.
Re: Orange stickers - Tom Shaw
The problem is that the disabled lobby have over the years got the government to widen the scope of what constitutes a disability. It claims that there are six million disabled people in Britain, a figure that they have reached by including people with such as a missing finger or ear. Whilst inconvenient, neither of those is a bar to the individual leading a normal life. I do not know what sort of disability has to be proven in order to qualify for an orange badge, but I suspect it is very much on the generous side.
Re: Orange stickers - Steve G
My local Tesco has about 20 disabled bays which are never more than quarter full (even at peak times). Must admit i have used them because the chances of getting the side of my car riddled with parking dents decreases (the extra width of thr bays). I would like to make it clear i would not use these bays if there were only a few left empty.
Then maybe, Steve, it would be worth your while writing to Tesco pointing out that you think there are too many disabled spaces and that you would like them to carry out a check over a period of time and if they agree, then you will have some more 'normal' spaces free'd up for non disabled people.

KB.
Re: Orange stickers - Pete W
Both my mother and father are holders of O/Bs ( which are now to be BLUE ) and my dad was recently given a parking ticket for 'obstructing' although he had used the same space before as had other O/B users. Regrettably he didn't ask WHY he had been given a ticket on this occasion. He is aware that it isn't a licence to park where you like and you still need to take due care in your choice of parking place.

On the other hand I do sympathise with comments above as if O/B holders can park in many otherwise unauthorised places why are places dedicated to O/B holders in normal multi-storeys or pay car parks. Surely this would be a last choice for O/B holders and is reflected in the many empty spaces. We, as a family, with young children are then obliged to park several storeys high which is also infuriating when the ground floor is mostly empty.

I agree with places put aside at Tescos etc and get cross when inconsiderate single people in large expensive cars see it as their right to park where they like. Likewise our local supermarkets have dedicated bays for motorbikes often filled by cars. WALK a few yards, it won't hurt !

Advantages are that if we travel over the Severn Bridge with either parent we can cross for free !
Re: Orange stickers - harrison
a. as a blue badge holder I have been booked for parking too near a junction
b. just because the blue badge spaces are empty when you arrive doesn't mean that some badge holder will not need the space while you are in the shop
c. I would swap my badge anyday for a pair of arthritis free legs
d. parking in a dsabled bay doesn't automatically mean your car won't get banged as I well know
Re: Orange stickers - Tomo
You can't park dangerously. Just where the rest of us can't, even if it's safe.

My annoyance is that I can park for SWMBO's benefit, because she has a formal medical reason for the badge; not for my own, though I really don't walk much further, having restricted my exercise to three pedals, or two and a twist grip, for over half a century, during which time we have both paid much tax.

I wish I had the brass neck to just use the thing, like everyone else.
Re: Orange stickers - The Real Bogush
I might have told this story before on this forum, if so: here it comes again !;-)

I have a relative with back problems who applied for an orange badge, and, like a mug (she's not a blood relative, so there must be some sort of attraction at work) she actually tried her best at the tests she was asked to do, even though she was bedridden for a week as a result.

She passed the tests and was refused a badge.

No problem now though:

She always takes her mother with her to help her in and out of the car, push the supermarket trolley, pull her shopping trolley, and load and unload the car.

And, of course, her mother has been granted a badge!?!?

But why is it that it's always BMW's and flash 4x4's in disabled bays.

Is the motability contribution really that high, or are all disabled people the recipients of big compensation payments?

Or is there some other reason?

(That generic "BMW's" should be read to include all expensive cars !;-)
Re: Orange stickers - crazed
As the owner of a dodgy knee, who could probably get a badge if I wanted (but don?t for my own dignity, and because "there are lots of people worse off than me?
I am totally flabbergasted at some of the people who are given badges yet are blatantly not in need of them.
And when it comes to cars having a badge because granny is entitled (but is hardly ever in the car) then this abuse is also widespread and appalling.

I know of some flats in Milton Keynes which where built in units of 6, each unit with 6 spaces allocated. And nowadays MK council has made 2 of the bays ?disabled only?, while only 1 of the flats is occupied by a disabled person. I also know that this is an abuse by a local bigwig who himself has a badge and uses this space to visit his father. This sort of thing is so common place its ridiculous.

And once again the nameless faceless pen pushers have the system in a mess.

Rant over?.
Re: Orange stickers - colin
Well, its good to see that I'm not the only one who is desperately unPC. I too have seen folk jump out of an orange stickered car and sprint across to the cash machine.

My previous was based on a real experience. My neighbour did have a serious op some time ago but now runs up and down ladders far better than I can. It
seems the doc continues to certify just for a quiet life.
Re: Orange stickers - Claire Voyant
This is just a test link,

"http://www.lycos.co.uk"

Click it and see...
Test 2

???
Try again...

*******a href="WEB ADDRESS" target="_new">TEXT TO SHOW
A nice website

Here goes...
Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Re: Orange stickers - ian (cape town)
Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Re: Orange stickers - Mark (Brazil)
you missed the > off the end
both of you
*****a href="WEB ADDRESS" target="_new">TEXT
substitute the ***** at the beginning with <
substitute the ***** at the end with >

Surround the full web address with quotes.

target="_new" opens the web address in a new window

M.
Re: Orange stickers - Land Rover
Re: Orange stickers - Ghost Picture
Picture