99 Audi A3 central locking gone mad! - eoinok
Hi guys, anyone got any advice to off on the above. Central locking is gone mad in that the doors will lock themselves at anytime without any notice!
This has already caused the car keys to get locking in twice and in one instance, it didn't happe outside the front door of the house.
The car has it's alarm disabled due to I have been told that the alarms on these models go a bit wonky after a couple of years so the main dealers switch them off whenever they are selling on a 2nd hand one..
I will endevour to describe a few scenario's in how I experience problems.

1. Driving a long and then suddenly the doors will just lock themselves
2. Open the door with the key, sit in, pull the door shut and the two doors (it is a 3 door) will instantly shut itself.
3. Drivers side door may lock but the passenger door will stay open.
4. Drivers & passengers doors will stay open but the boot will be after locking itself.

Any of the above situations will manifest themselves at anytime. Toi be honest, I just thought of it there, I have yet to check two if the fuel flap locks itself as well...

Any idea's??
99 Audi A3 central locking gone mad! - L'escargot
I had similar (but not the same) problems with my 99T Focus. A generous squirt of WD40 into all the locks cured the problem. Worth a try anyway ~ can't do any harm.
--
L\'escargot.
99 Audi A3 central locking gone mad! - adverse camber
go round and use the key rather than the remote to lock and unlock all the doors several times. Most common reason is that one of them sticks through lack of use and the vacuum operated cl system starts playing up as you describe.

they can also be set up so that they lock when you start driving - you need a diag tool to change that. Not sure if it applies to audi, but some cars will lock themselves if left unlocked for a period of time - happened to my Brother at a petrol station once (in an alfa I think), left the keys in the ignition and then got locked out.
99 Audi A3 central locking gone mad! - GGH
I had a similar problem on my 5 door mk3 Golf. I purchased a new
micro switch for the passenger door vacuum unit, but it turned out to be an intermittent contact at the micro switch connector.
99 Audi A3 central locking gone mad! - eoinok
I've tried all the above suggestions bar the microswitch change...

GGH, how did u narrow it down to the passenger door vacum unit? This is happening for me across all doors and the boot etc so think think it would be down to any individual micro switch...

Once again, thanks for any suggestions...
99 Audi A3 central locking gone mad! - GGH
One cold morning -6c drivers lock froze up so I tried passenger door. Central locking worked but immediately locked the door again, I never got the passenger door or windows to open, I unfroze the drivers lock to get in. The passenger CL then behaved the same way every cold morning. I don't have the boot lock on CL as I prefer the boot to be key only.
On warmer days +3c passenger lock would ONLY open passenger door but would relock 10 seconds later all by itself.
The would seem that the door vacuum unit needs to be removed from the door frame to fit a replacement micro switch, and this looks a fiddly job. I noticed that the VU micro switch wire connection was half apart and not clipped home to the switch. Pushing the connector fully home has cured all problems.