'Wet' Skoda Superb - busker
My 53 plate 2.5tdi Superb (purchased used from a Skoda dealer)recently showed an airbag fault. The dealer traced it to a fractured pollen filter housing, which had allowed water to penetrate the car over time and had 'wicked' down the loom into the airbag sensor and corroded it. The job was completed under Skoda UK warranty and involved, amongst other jobs, removal of the dashboard.

Got the car back & all appeared OK for a few days. Went out to start it last week and got a noise which sounded like the starter bendix could'nt engage the ring gear. The info screen flashed and flickered and then the car started. There was an immediate smell of burning & within 30 seconds, smoke appeared between the top of the dash and the windscreen. Naturally, I switched it off PDQ and got the extinguisher from the boot, No fire, but obviously, I'm not going to try starting it again!!

Rang AA & got it towed to the dealer who had just fixed the airbag problem. Now I'm being told this is a further warranty fault which will involve removing the dash again and then waiting for the Skoda 'thermal engineer' to inspect the car. I'm told the first fault, the fractured pollen filter housing, is a 'known problem'. Anyone got any comments / news to confirm or deny this?
'Wet' Skoda Superb - Gromit {P}
Just a thought, busker: might be worth checking whether there's been a similar problem with the last model Passat, given that it and the Superb are essentially the same car.

Good luck getting it fixed quickly,
- Gromit
'Wet' Skoda Superb - Collos25
Sounds to me that they have disturbed something during the removal and refit of the dash.I think you probably think the same.I hope they are giving you a courtesy car.
Yes Andy, I do think the same. They have given me a courtesy car. Out of interest, I'm now told by a mate in the truck business that under European rules (I don't quite know what rules!!)every vehicle manufacturer has to have, or have the services of, a 'thermal engineer', who's job it is to investigate all reports of vehicle fires. Maybe this is why the chap with the Corsa fire in the Tech Matters is having to wait so long.
Cheers,
Busker
Good idea Gromit, Ta.