Computer Related Questions - Volume 89 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 90 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 89. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

MS say no point trying to mend infected - adverse camber
Microsoft say there's no point trying to repair a virus infected PC these days - just nuke it!

www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/05/ms_security_mea_c.../

(didnt they recently sign another deal with emc ? - is it just a 'sell storage' deal?)
MS say no point trying to mend infected - No FM2R
>>Microsoft say there's no point trying to repair a virus infected PC these days - just nuke it!

That's been our policy for some time. And my own policy at home, for that matter.
MS say no point trying to mend infected - adverse camber
quite agree, but for businesses it should be easy.

Problem with windows is the number of home users that dont backup, dont update/patch, dont firewall/av etc and then have no recourse when they get hit. There were a couple of posts in CRQ 88 having probs post infection - I thought people might be interested in the MS opinion, and the implication that you really should have backups that you could recover from (and I've seen plenty of businesses that couldn't recover from the backups they had - I've earned plenty of cash and grey hair from putting bits back together).
Corrupt Drive - AGAIN - Adam {P}
I must live near a massive electromagnet or something. My hard drives always seem to mess up!

Anyway - I could do with some help. I switched my computer on this morning only to be met with chkdsk doing it's thing. It found loads of unreadable files on my d: drive and tried repairing them. After a long, LONG wait it loaded up but I missed what it said at the end. Assuming everything was ok, I went on about my daily business. When I restarted the computer though, the exact same thing happened again. I missed what it said at the end this time too though so I ran chkdsk manually using the command prompt. The problem seems to be in the log file for d:. When you run it, it says at the very end that there's not enough space in the logfile. I tried to manually adjust the logfile size but it says it can't due to possible corruption. I could run chkdsk all night until the cows come home but it'll come up with the same problem.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the 100gig drive is almost full and it would be very, very bad if I were to lose some of the stuff that was on there. Another point to note is that last night I shut the computer down and all was well so I've no idea what could have caused it. Do you reckon it's just the hard drives getting old? I've upgraded bits and pieces on my computer over the years and to be honest, I'm fed up of it now - it's letting me down more and more so I'm tempted to buy a new one regardless of whether I can fix it.

Any advice/help would be, as always, very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Corrupt Drive - AGAIN - henry k
The problem is compounded by the fact that the 100gig drive is almost full

>>
I suspect this IS the source of the problem.
IIRC space is required to write more than one copy of the log file and then a clean up occurs to leave one file.
If this is the case then some of your files will need to be moved onto another medium and space freed up.

Corrupt Drive - AGAIN - Citroënian {P}
Morning Adam,

A lack of hard disk free space will contribute to befuddling your computer - I'm a bit worried about your "very, very bad" bit - if you've not got copies of this data elsewhere, your first priority is to get it backed up.

It could be that your disks are dying or that the cache memory on them is getting a bit forgetful. Either way, I wouldn't be relying on disks doing this sort of thing.

So, you could get another disk (250/300Gb these days isn't that expensive) and install Windows on that. Once installed, copy your data over.

Check your antivirus and spyware are installed properly, are up to date and will act upon any malware it finds. Run Windows update and make sure that's up to date. Check the event logs (START-RUN-eventvwr) and see if it's complaining about anything.

Have a dig around and post back what you find; are you still running 2000?

Have a think about getting a new computer - you can always introduce weird incompatibilites if you build/upgrade your own - if you get a full PC from say Dell or HP, you know that all the bits will fit together properly.

good luck,
Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
Corrupt Drive - AGAIN - cheddar
Have you tried a simple disc clean up? Right click on the drives in My Computer.

Do you have a habit of turning off before Windows has shut down properly, this can cause a number of problems one of which is to enlarge the registry up to the default maximum size which causes the kind of errors you mention, a common fault on Win 2000.
Corrupt Drive - AGAIN - Stuartli
Try typing sfc /scannow into Run (note the space) and clicking OK.

Have your XP disk in the CD/DVD drive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Thanks for all the help.

Whilst the 100 gig disk is *almost* full, there's at least 10 gig of free space scattered over the partitions. However, I can copy some stuff over to my sister's computer. Sadly, she doesn't have 100gig free space so I won't be able to back it all up but fortunately, I've finished all my work but it's all the other things I'd lose.

I made the switch to XP Lee - I couldn't hold out much longer but it's all fully updated, no viruses or spyware. Bearing in mind what you said Lee, I might buy a new drive, see if that cures it and then if all else fails, I'll have a brand new drive I can put in my new computer! Genius!

Cheddar - whilst I have a bit of a short temper with things like this, it's been shut down properly for at least the last month. It tends to get left on until I go to bed because other people access the stuff on it over the network so the hard drives are normally always on.

I'll try that scan now and disc cleanup and get back to you all.

Just one last thing - because I'd finished all my work I installed a game the other day. I've had it ages so I know it works but sometimes, the sound would stop. Go crackly and then the computer would restart. Do you reckon something's related?

Once again, thanks very much for all of your help. I'll report back soon.

Thanks,

Adam

Right - disk cleanup didn't work. I got rid of 10 gigs worth of stuff and still nothing. I did try that sfc scannow thing Stuart but I forgot to say - the drive in question isn't the one on which Windows is installed.

I'm going to fiddle around but failing that, I'll buy a new drive tomorrow. I'm still really annoyed but I suppose the drive's getting on a bit now.

Thanks for all the advice though. At least it's an excuse to upgrade...slightly.

Thanks again,

Adam
Corrupt Drive - AGAIN - L'escargot
I could run chkdsk all night until the cows
come home

Cows come home in the evening, not after having been out all night! Sorry, Adamski ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Mac OS XP - Citroënian {P}
I keep trying to rile people into a debate about the merits of PCs to Macs and no-one seems to want to rise to it.

Well, it's all academic now. Anyone running Mac OS 10.4.6 on an Intel Duo Core can install Boot Camp from Apple themselves (beta, usual stuff about being careful, not complaining if it kills your computer) and run XP SP2 natively.

This is a big step, it's not a software emulated PC, it's Windows running on Intel in a Mac box. It's staggeringly quick too. Some issues with USB support and the BSOD, but I'm running both OSes now and it's great. May never need to buy a Dell ever again!!

Now wondering if they'll ever port OS X to a PC platform (yes, I know Intel is a PC platform). Would be groovy but the driver and compativility issues would be eye watering.

OK, so this isn't really a question, but it's a significant development and well worth raising awareness.

Oh, and OS X 10.5 will be called Leopard.

Mac OS XP - Baskerville
Lee

I haven't been rising to it because I agree with you OS X is superb, really superb. The Windows folk either know it makes sense, or are too busy editing the registry to have time to post. I switched away from Windows too long ago to have to rely on anything Windows-specific now, but this is a great development for anyone in the market for a new PC, who can't wait for Vista, and who has a lot of Windows-only software (I don't mean Norton, though you'll still need all that stuff). It also makes switching risk free.

Macs are much prettier to have around the house anyway and in my experience that means the powers that be allow you to buy more gadgets. Here's a link to the software:

www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

I actually don't think the compatibility issues for OS X with PCs would be as bad as you think. The BSDs--part of OS X's underpinnings--and Linux run pretty well on generic PC hardware. But I don't think it would be compatible with Apple making a profit, since it is a hardware company and Jobs wants to sell "the whole widget." Michael Dell must be nervous.
Mac OS XP - Stuartli
My very limited experience of Macs was in the newspaper industry many years ago due to QuarkExpress being the keystone of creating publications.

My main reaction to your comments (Apple has been advertising these systems for a few weeks + www.apple.com/switch/reasons/reason09.html ) was, naturally, if so many of today's Mac users are so happy slagging off Windows, why the change of heart?....:-)

Mac OS XP - Baskerville
>if so many of today's Mac users are so happy slagging off Windows, why the change of heart?....:-)

The Boot Camp software only appeared yesterday.

The primary reason is marketing in the run-up to Christmas. They want Windows users to switch, but they have to persuade them to buy new hardware. This means people can do it risk free and do it before Vista appears on Dells. If only 25% of those new Mac owners stay with Mac OS X then Apple wins big time. They will have bought a Mac anyway. My guess is it will be more than that.

The other reason is games. Apple is betting a lot of people would buy a Mac now if they could keep the Windows game library. Now they can.

Incidentally Mac OS X is radically different in every way from the old Mac OS you used.
Mac OS XP - Stuartli
>>The primary reason is marketing in the run-up to Christmas.>>

Presumably then potential buyers need some time to be truly convinced...:-)

Only joking....
Mac OS XP - cheddar
I think you guys are all missing the point, this is a U turn for Apple, I mean if Michael Dell aspired to run Panther on a Dimension then Apple would be crowing though no, they have finally bowed to the domination of Windows and recognised that to sell hardware in even a fraction of the volume that Dell do then it will have to be Windows compatible.

Who are the winners here, Microsoft, Intel and Mac users, in that order.
Mac OS XP - Baskerville
>I mean if Michael Dell aspired to run Panther on a Dimension

He does, but probably Tiger rather than Panther:

news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-5749940.html
Mac OS XP - cheddar
That is an old story, yes Mac OS on a Dell would open up a niche for Dell though would make little difference to the bottom line.
Mac OS XP - Baskerville
Well, it's 9 months old. You think he's changed his mind? Unfortunately for him Apple is a direct competitor. It sells Macs for a living, not OS X, just as he sells Dells, not Windows.
Mac OS XP - Stuartli
I think you guys are all missing the point>>

I for one didn't miss the point - I was being sarcastic..:-)

My first reaction when I saw the first advertisements for the "Windows Mac" was why had it taken such a very, very long time to come to fruition?
Mac OS XP - Baskerville
>>The primary reason is marketing in the run-up to Christmas.>>
Presumably then potential buyers need some time to be truly convinced...:-)

No, you're right. I dual-booted XP and Linux for about two years before I realised I hadn't booted XP for months. At that point I reclaimed the drive space. This is exactly how people switch and those clever people at Apple know it.
Mac OS XP - cheddar
It is though interesting how Apple have turned a capitulation, that started with a couple of hackers winning a competition to get XP running on a Mac, into a positive story. However it will be Microsoft and Intel that are rubbing their hands in glee.
Mac OS XP - Baskerville
I don't see this actually, though Intel certainly wins both ways. I have an unused copy of Virtual PC which would allow me to run XP on my Mac if I wanted to. That has existed for years, but is apparently way too slow for games.
The Mac OS is wholesale better on the home desktop than Windows. The niggle that would stop me going to Apple was some specific stuff I use on a Windows platform. No longer an issue.

Microsoft win as they can sell licences. Apple win as they sell more hardware. We win as we have beautiful kit on the desktop. Michael Dell loses as he sells less but he's hardly going to notice that from behind the truck loads of money that visit him each day.

I don't think this is capitulation by Apple, it's a pretty shrewd move.

Mac OS XP - cheddar
The Mac OS is wholesale better on the home desktop than
Windows. >>

That is a matter of opinion and it certainly is not a majority opinion.
Microsoft win as they can sell licences. Apple win as
they sell more hardware. We win as we have beautiful
kit on the desktop. Michael Dell loses as he sells
less but he's hardly going to notice that from behind the
truck loads of money that visit him each day.

>>

And Intel win big time! Dell wins because he can produce sexy PC's on a lower cost base than Apple.
I don't think this is capitulation by Apple, it's a pretty
shrewd move. >>

They really did not have much choice after so many years of Windows dominance. The issue is can they compete with the likes of Dell in the mass market.

Also with Microsoft slated for, for instance, bundling IE and Media Player with an OS then if Apple had established any significant market share they would probably come up against the anti trust guys in the US for not opening up the Mac platform as they have now done with XP compatibility.

>>That is a matter of opinion and it certainly is not a majority opinion.

Dominance by numbers isn't a sign of excellence. I've been using Mac OS for a good few weeks now and it is constantly suprising me at how fast, stable and comprehensive it is. Windows boxes, and I've used them all, aren't anything like this. I'm a novice with the Apple and it hasn't bitten me yet; Windows would have thrown a wobbler by now. In comparison I set up my Mum's Dell Dimension - it came with so much rubbish for updaters, McAfee, Intellithis & autothat - it was a real and confusing pain to set up. Home users don't need this; I can sort it all out and I don't need it.

They don't need to compete with Dell. I don't think Mercedes see Ford as competing in the same market - and if you could afford an E-class (iMac) you're not going to bother with a Focus (Dimension).

The anti-trust stuff is still ongoing; the EU is debating whether or not to fine MS millions a day- they hit all this because they are so dominant. Ironically, if Apple had more market share, this wouldn't be such an issue!

At last, a healthy, partisan, blinkered debate!! :-)

I really think the Mac is fantastic - anyone looking at surfing the net or doing normal domestic stuff with a computer should really have a good look at them before buying a PC. They're that good.

Mac OS XP - cheddar
>> They don't need to compete with Dell.

>>

They do need to compete with Dell if they are in the mass home or business computer market. Five years ago an i-Mac was sexy and innovative though IMO a mid range Dell, Philips or Sony with flat screen is actually a visually more attractive proposition today.
Mercedes see Ford as competing in the same market - and
if you could afford an E-class (iMac) you're not going to
bother with a Focus (Dimension).

I see Apple more as a Subaru, quirky though looking like they need to conform (diesels) though this is surely not a relevant analogy, perhaps A-Class and Focus though just as a £750 Dimension out performs a £750 I-Mac a £15k Focus out performs a £15k A-Class and is likely to be more reliable too.

The fact is though that Dell go more upmarket (S-Class, AMG?) than Apple when it comes to performance (P4 955, 1066mhz FSB, 8GB ram etc or Dual Xeon pro workstations etc) and their latest flat screens are stunning.
Ironically, if Apple had more market share, this wouldn't be such an issue!

That is a good point though if Apple had even double digit market share I reckon there would be rumblings in Strasbourg over the OS and platform link.

Good debate.
I reckon Apple have an eye to the home/consumer market rather than the business sector - can't imagine anyone moving over to Xserve and Mac desktops - even with XP on Mac, IT management wouldn't touch the Apple platform to replace their Wintel environment - the training, support and sheer hassle make it an unfriendly proposition - I'll certainly resist anyone who suggests it at our place.

Dell seem to have new plans for where they're going too, they recently aquired Alienware and although have said they're not going to change it, I think their XPS range may shuffle off silently and some Alienware influence will be seen in its replacement.

Agree with you about the Dell monitors - we just got a couple of the 30" ones and they are really impressive; but I can't help but wonder that they're inspired by the Apple cinema displays. It's all getting very confusing!!!

Am trying to think of a better analogy for car/mac too - not convinced by Subaru - they produce basic cars developed to extremes for a specific purpose. I think the Apple is a well rounded but overwhelmingly stylised - maybe a C4 (which fits with me!) or the C6, but definitely in the same area as Citroen in terms of being led by design.

Mac OS XP - cheddar
Am trying to think of a better analogy for car/mac too
- not convinced by Subaru - they produce basic cars developed
to extremes for a specific purpose. I think the Apple
is a well rounded but overwhelmingly stylised - maybe a C4
(which fits with me!) or the C6, but definitely in the
same area as Citroen in terms of being led by design.

An Apple can appear very sexy though in short order can become very dated, take a turquoise perspex G3, looks very old hat today next to a PC of the same vintage, likewise the original i-Macs in their funky colours, there were scanners made in the same colours all very 1999/2000. I have a scanner in the loft in the old G3 colours. Also the G4 Cubes were very trendy with convection cooling and looked great next to a Cinema screen and the speakers that belonged in a chemistry lab, all very 2002.

I take the point re Citroen though I see most Macs as more like 407s, C4s and new Civics, all designs that try to hard.
Mac OS XP - Stuartli
>>Windows would have thrown a wobbler by now. >>

I wouldn't agree with you in the case of XP - it's the most stable operating system I've ever used and a breath of fresh air after 98SE..:-)

I've only had to Repair XP twice and the reason was simple - two new motherboards. As XP doesn't always take to a new mobo a Repair overcomes the slight possibility of it playing up.
It can throw wobblers in different ways - I'm fed up of my computer getting so slow that I give up and rebuild it - (Yes, I know, I use Ghost). Maybe Vista will streamline things, but as we stand today, you need a lot of knowledge to get and keep Windows running smoothly. Tried the Windows OneCare beta (unfortunate name, that) and it actually made things worse.

They should be no more hassle than a Microwave oven or toaster, and in these terms, the Mac (on which I'm a novice) outperforms Wintel. And no-one is more surprised than me that I'm finding this, I've got bits of paper from Microsoft and spent two days with them this week looking at new technologies - I'm firmly in the MS camp.

Mac OS XP - cheddar
I wouldn't agree with you in the case of XP -
it's the most stable operating system I've ever used and a
breath of fresh air after 98SE..:-)

I have had XP Pro on a laptop for a couple of years now, I run a few XP machines at work and recently have a new XP Pro workstation at home prior to which I ran a 98SE workstation at home, daily use, fully patched and updated, pretty much faultless for 6 years so 98SE is still my favourite Windows. The kids are still using it, just set them up as a use so it still has my config on it if I need it.

I have also bought a couple of Macs in the past for business use, a dual processor G4 with a funky tranlucent flat screen CRT, lots of problems with the monitor and an i-Mac which is quite neat though limited graphics controls mean you cannot apply ICC profiles.
Mac OS XP - cheddar
No, you're right. I dual-booted XP and Linux for about two
years before I realised I hadn't booted XP for months. At
that point I reclaimed the drive space. This is exactly how
people switch and those clever people at Apple know it.

You are though not a typical mass market computer buyer (nor is anyone who posts in this thread for that matter), the average consumer might buy a Mac now for it's looks though will be too PC familiar to buy a Mac for it's ergonomics and will have too much invested in Windows to switch totally to Mac, whether it is games, hardware compatibility, kids using PCs at school, Office Suites they want to transfer from old to new machine, online photo albums or print services that are not Mac friendly, problems sharing documents and image files with PC using friends etc etc.

Lastly there is the problem of competing with Dell on price and Dells are very tasting looking themselves nowdays.

Hi Stuart,

That looks like Office for Mac, or at best a virtual PC for Mac. This is XP Pro running natively on Intel.

Mac OS XP - Altea Ego
Apples are, and always have been overpriced. They are and always have been bereft of the huge range of software and and hardware that makes windows so attractive.

You all miss the point. The reason that windows has so many probems is that very compatability of hardware and software.

Therefore there is no reason to want to run windows on a Mac because

a: its still vastly overpriced
b: it will still have the same problems because they are external to windows.

Plus Mac upgradability is non existant.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mac OS XP - Hamsafar
I have had my Mac Mini Duo Intel for a few days now.
I have always had a Mac and PC on my desk at home and at work.
Most people only have room for one or the other, whereas now, I feel there is no reason not to buy a Mac. The Mac is much better at almost everything, because the OS and bundled software is superior and as it's all by the same manufacturer it works well and integrates with each other seamlessly.
I'm unning XP on the Mac these days because I needed a new PC to run Vauxhall EPC and TIS and thought I may as well get a Mac Intel as I much prefer Mac OS to Windows (for 98% of the time I will be in Mac OSX)
Now there is a beta of software called Parallel which runs XP in a window at full speed, so no need to dual boot and partition hard disks.

Hackers already got the Intel version of OS X running on Intel PCs and posted the information and patch to the DRM online, and are currently being sued by Apple for bypassing DRM and breach of OS X License which says it must be installed on an Apple-branded machine.

Hard drives noises - cheddar
Hello,

I have a 250GB Western Digital drive, it works fine though occasionally will exhibit a slight buzzing, this seems to last between a couple of seconds and 20 seconds and can occur at anytime as long as the PC is turned on, i.e. no connection with what the machine is doing, I initially thought it was a vibration though today I took the side of the case off and it seems to be the drive, could be perfectly normal, any thoughts?

Also I am after a second drive of the same size, I can get a similar WD 250GB (16MB buffer) drive for £65, again any thoughts?

Regards.
Hard drives noises - Stuartli
Have you checked that the screws are tight?

If they are slightly loose or you haven't used all the screw fastenings this can cause vibration of the drive, which is spinning at around 7,200rpm.

Re Western Digital drives. I always buy its OEM versions with a JB suffix as these normally come with a three year warranty.

However, WD did change its warranty terms a while back so a check at:

support.wdc.com/warranty/index.asp

might be worthwhile.

ps, Don't just use any old screws - there's a maximum depth of thread available...:-)
What's for you won't pass you by
Its a JS suffix drive I am pretty sure it is not a vibration, i.e. screws etc, it sounds like a CPU working though I am pretty sure the noise comes from the drive.

This JS suffix drive has 8 MB buffer, I am looking at a KS suffix drive which has a 16MB buffer from Overclockers the 250MB KS is only 10 quid more than the 200MB JS, no brainer.
Hi Stuart, I have just realised that your JB drives are IDE where as my JS is SATA.

Regards.
New laptop, can i use old charger? - mare
Dumb question possibly

i have bought a new Fujitsu laptop to replace my old HP one.

Can i use the charger for the HP on the Fujitsu (yes the plug fits!)? The power data on the transformers are:

Fujitsu:

Input 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.7A
Output 19V 3.42A

HP:

Input 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.8A
Output 19V 3.16A

I know not very much about electrics, will using the HP charger in the Fujitsu harm the new laptop?

TIA
New laptop, can i use old charger? - Altea Ego
Electrickery wise they are identical enough to be almost twins, no problem there. The HP one may get a little warmer but not enough to be alarmed about (keep an eye on it tho). Wont harm the laptop.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ta very much
New laptop, can i use old charger? - BB
Out of interest, which Fujitsu laptop is it? I have an Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1425 (Pentium M 1.6) which I am very happy with. One of the best laptops I have had!
Out of interest, which Fujitsu laptop is it? I have an
Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1425 (Pentium M 1.6) which I am very
happy with. One of the best laptops I have had!

It's a black and silver one.

Only kidding, it's a Amilo Pro V2060 MS2175. I'm not sure what that bewildering mass of numbers means, but it has XP Pro, 60GB and 512Mb memory (enough) and a DVD rewriter. All for £499 + VAT from PC World. The screen's big enough (15") but i find the keyboard a bit flimsy and the keys a bit sparse after the HP e.g. the Page Up and Page Down are at the bottom of the keyboard.

I only replaced the HP because some of the buttons were playing up, it has three cracks in the casing and it's not wireless. Over than that, it was fine and did well for 4 years. It's in the cupboard as back up.

The Fujitsu ticks all the boxes for me. But i just use them.

S.M.A.R.T disabled -- 98SE - buzbee
My black and white boot-up, pre-windows, screen says S.M.A.R.T disabled for both the two hard disks. It used to say enabled.

There is nothing on the bios screen (boot up hitting DEL) to enable it. So how does one turn it back on? I have a suspicion something has been written in the registry and some editing is called for -- see below.

I installed Active Smart and it worked fine for a while with either one or the two HD's fitted but after changing one of those for another make it did not recognise either.

An uninstall of 'smart got the words "Smart enabled" showing on the bios screen again. But after re-installing it, it was back to being disabled. Uninstalling it yet again left it disabled.

Any ideas?

DISK NAME: A different question. How do you rename a hard disk without invoking re-format again.

S.M.A.R.T disabled -- 98SE - adverse camber
Not familiar with 'active smart' but my guess would be that it automatically disables the bios smart and does its own thing. Presumably changing the disks confused it and you need to run some sort of update function ?

As for the rename cant you just right click and choose rename - or is that beyond win98 ? what about running label from the command line?
Right clicking or using label on hard disks does not work.
I did a registry search and found 11 references still there for an unistalled Active Smart! And 117 for the word smart in some context or other.
S.M.A.R.T disabled -- 98SE - mfarrow
Right clicking or using label on hard disks does not work.

Does in XP... strange. You'll have to boot to the command prompt (F8 at startup) and use label there.
I did a registry search and found 11 references still there
for an unistalled Active Smart! And 117 for the word
smart in some context or other.

The setting will be in the BIOS. It'll be there somewhere in "Advanced Options" and the like. The Active Smart references in the registry are probably empty folders.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Renaming from DOS does not work. That is why I thought I probably needed special disk software.

I got active smart working again eventually, after yet another uninstall, then installing an earlier version of the registry, and then doing a re-install with a new IDE ribbon cable.

"Advanced Options"

It would be nice to know what line in the registry turns off the normal S.M.A.R.T. as, at one time, neither smart was working and my motherboard bios screen/s showed NO means of turning it back on. Indeed the screen showing disk drive temp. etc did not exist any more!

Label works on floppies.
S.M.A.R.T disabled -- 98SE - Stuartli
Re SMART - these links may help:

tinyurl.com/npv76

tinyurl.com/n42yu

www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

tinyurl.com/j6j97

I use DriveSMART (freeware) from:

tinyurl.com/hq2mp (or www.intelinews.ro/QSDET7799.htm with illustrated guide) - Mac version at www.intelinews.ro/QSDET7798.htm)

Stuartli, Thanks for the Smart links. All but the first look interesting and I will have a read.
S.M.A.R.T disabled -- 98SE - Stuartli
>>All but the first look interesting and I will have a read.>>

Sorry, it was the wrong one - probably one of the US "pay for" types.

It should really be: www.driverguide.com

Enter "drivers" as the username and "all" as the password (no quotes). You'll find a vast store of drivers etc.
TalkTalk offer now official - Stuartli
You've probably heard over recent days about a free broadband offer from TalkTalk.

It's now officially available from today (I've already signed up and getting a MAC code from Tiscali!) and is a real moneysaver:

tinyurl.com/nerk8

By the way you can get the offer if you are with One.Tel by ringing the company, now owned by CarPhoneWarehouse (TalkTalk) on 0845-818-7159.

If you are, like me, with Tiscali, you can call 08450-774488 to request a MAC code.

Don't be surprised if Tiscali offers some form of upgrade to try and keep your custom. Just say no...
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - cheddar
Hi, I have been using Norton Internet Security 2005, I also have NAV 2005 on another machine and prefer the Norton functionality to that of McAfee on my laptop.

The NIS 2005 license needs renewing shortly, £28 online, however I can buy NIS 2006 for £24.99 special offer, seems like a no-brainer unless someone can give me a good reason why I should avoid NIS 2006?

Thanks.
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - SpamCan61 {P}
>>seems like a no-brainer unless someone can give me a good reason why I should avoid NIS 2006?

Because AVG and Avast are still available for free? ;-)
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - Stuartli
>>unless someone can give me a good reason why I should avoid NIS 2006?>>

The computer forums are full of tales of woe about Norton, the way it takes over your system and the difficulty in properly uninstalling it.

I gave it up about three years ago and moved on to AVG and now Avast! (it automatically updates definitions itself and provides written and verbal notice of doing so). Both are free.
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - mare
Cheddar, i know very little about computers but i didn't renew Norton (don't know the version) because it was just too intrusive and interfering. Following advice on here, i have avast at home, and you just don't know that it's there. Excellent.

Saddled with Norton on the laptop though. Grrrr
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - Altea Ego
Dont have nortonesque items anywhere near my machine ta very much.

With Avast for Av and zone labs for firewall, what more do you need?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - PhilW
TVM,
Is there any point (or is it even possible) to run AVG and Avast. I have AVG and have had for some years and have yet to suffer from a computer virus, but is Avast superior in some way?
--
Phil
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - Adam {P}
I really wouldn't advise running two lots of Antivirus at the same time.

For what it's worth, I made the switch from Norton to AVG a while ago and like the move from IE to Opera, never looked back.
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - Altea Ego
Nah dont run two at once. They get the right ump.

Run with what you are happy (and free) with
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - Civic8
>>Is there any point (or is it even possible) to run AVG and Avast.

Cant answer for TVM,but no point in running two AV`s,Avast does all I need and not had any problems with viruses at all.
wont even allow e`mail through that has one on it,I also download on the odd occasion and if a virus in it-it deletes the download as well a virus

Highly recommend it to anyone!!
--
Steve
However, it is possible to run Avast! with MS AntiSpyware and one or the other nabs any nasties that are attempting to gain entry...:-)

MS AntiSpyware also keeps a check on installations and uninstallations.

Also you can run malware such as Search and Destroy and AdAware together - if one doesn't pick something up the other normally will.

Try SpywareBlaster as well. It runs unobtrusively in the background.

All are freeware and all need updating regularly to keep abreast of happenings.
Norton 2005 or 2006 ? - PhilW
Thanks for advice - will stick with AVG and autoupdates every day since it seems to do the job.

"Also you can run malware such as Search and Destroy and AdAware together - if one doesn't pick something up the other normally will.
Try SpywareBlaster as well. It runs unobtrusively in the background.
All are freeware and all need updating regularly to keep abreast of happenings."
Yep, got those also and check for updates every few days - belt, braces and belt and braces just in case!
thanks
--
Phil
>>Yep, got those also and check for updates every few days >>

Good for you.

It's particularly important in these days of broadband - my system is on for around 15 hours a day even though I'm not using it all the time.
recording from radio 2 - PhilW
Missed the transmission on radio 2 of "Howlin' Wolf Story" on Tuesday but it can be listened to again via radio 2 website on Realplayer (which I don't like really) but I would like to record the program to my computer or a CD but can't find a way of doing this - any advice? thanks

--
Phil
recording from radio 2 - Baskerville
Audacity seems to record anything from anywhere. The podcaster's favourite apparently:

audacity.sourceforge.net/
recording from radio 2 - SpamCan61 {P}
I use 'total recorder' for much the same purpose:-

www.highcriteria.com/

recording from radio 2 - BB
Be wary of the quality that you get from BBC listen again players. At times the broadcast drops to less than 40 kb/s which means awful sound.
recording from radio 2 - SjB {P}
Audacity seems to record anything from anywhere. The podcaster's favourite apparently:
audacity.sourceforge.net/

I can see why; what a smashing tool.
Thanks for the link.
recording from radio 2 - PhilW
Yep, thanks for the help guys
--
Phil
Bluetooth Dongles and USB connections - Dynamic Dave
Why is it when I plug my bluetooth dongle into a different USB socket that it hasn't previously been plugged into, the computer says that it's found new hardware and would I like to install it?

Obviously this only says it the once for each new socket I plug it into, and once it's installed I can remove and plug it back in again into any of the sockets with no further issues.

I would have thought the pc would have recognised the device regardless of whichever of the 6 USB sockets I plug it into once it's been configured?
Bluetooth Dongles and USB connections - Chicken Vindaloo
I've had this happen with printers and laptops. You install the printer on one USB port but if you plug it into another USB port it goes through all the "Found new hardware" stuff.

Another irritation is - why can you put a USB memory stick into a drive with no hassle, but have to go through the rigamarole of having to stop it before taking it out.

Bluetooth Dongles and USB connections - Stuartli
It's because you have unplugged (i.e. uninstalled it); Windows automatically reinstalls it because it's a USB device that can be hot plugged.

Re the USB memory stick, pen drive or card reader/writer. If you take out the card before either using Safely Remove Hardware or switching off your system, you can lose or corrupt data on the card.
Bluetooth Dongles and USB connections - LexusBoy
"Re the USB memory stick, pen drive or card reader/writer. If you take out the card before either using Safely Remove Hardware or switching off your system, you can lose or corrupt data on the card."

I learned that one the hard way. "Please stop the memory stick before taking it out Dear... Oh, you've already taken it out." (Cue much grumbling and putting SWMBO into the dog-house before attempting to salvage the data on a now poorly Disgo).
Bluetooth Dongles and USB connections - g3zdm
Strangely enough with Win98SE you don't get the removal warning - you can apparently just unplug your memory stick.
The downside of using such devices with Win98SE is that each type/make/model of memory stick requires a driver installing before it will recognise the stick.
With WinXP you don't get the driver hasssle but you get the removal hassle instead.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
Bluetooth Dongles and USB connections - Civic8
>>I would have thought the pc would have recognised the device regardless of whichever of the 6 USB sockets I plug it into once it's been configured?

each port has its own address so when plugged into another port its reinstalled to that address,so you dont need to install again till you plug into another port
--
Steve
Talktalk & internet usage - smokie
Been reading this week about the Talktalk offer - somewhere about £20 pm for 8mb connection and free landline phone calls (incl some international). Much cheaper than I am currently paying.

However there is a usage cap at 40Gb.

I have no idea how much the 9 computers on my connection use per month. Anyone got any idea how I could measure this? I've installed something yesterday that indicated it might do the trick but all it's telling me is bandwidth usage. There are no useful stats in my router.
Talktalk & internet usage - Statistical outlier
I was looking at this yesterday. much to my disappointment I can't use it. At least not yet.

New house I'm moving to tomorrow *can* get the service. But. As I don't already live there, I wouldn't have a live BT line to transfer from. Not a problem, as BT have given me the number that was there, so I could sign up. When I checked, I would then get my phone line in mid May and broadband end of June. Which is far too long, I was worried about the 5-7 days the ADSL might take to turn on.

Also, I think it's far too soon to say, but I'm going to wait to see how the service pans out and how other BB operators respond. There seem to be a lot of people on Usenet who are having problems with TT broadband - lots of talk of packet shaping and restricted ports. Finally there was some debate onine about whether the cap was 40 GigaBytes or 40 GigaBits. The press release said the latter, but there was some speculation that this was a typo and not a sales pitch. Would be worth checking.

As to useage. What do you use your computers for? If you're just browsing the net and doing email, then 40 GigaBytes should be okay. If you do some more serious work like using Skype on all of them, or running Napster etc, then I'd be a bit worried. 4-5 GigaBytes for each machine is a reasonable but not large amount.

Finally, if you do decide to go for it, could you let us know how it goes? I'm going with BT and normal ADSL for the moment, but if TT is any good then I'll switch.

Gord.
I'm currently with Bulldog, which is unbundled, so I can't switch directly to TT - would need to go back to BT first (or get a new line).

Some of my computers are used for music downloading, two download video stuff and I work from home, with the occassional Altiris backup of my laptop being squirted up the line. So it's potentially fairly heavy usage. (As some of them are next door via LAN I don't exactly know what they are up to!)

I think you are right - the other ISPs will need to respond in some way, so I'll wait and see what they do and how it's going before diving in.

I'm still curious if there is a way I can measure usage... :-)
Talktalk & internet usage - adverse camber
Smokie

there are a variety of bits of software that will measure your useage either on individual machines or on a network. several network monitoring progs will give the info as a sideline, problem might be seperating local traffic from that destined for the wan.

You could set up a machine as a gateway between the other PC's and the router and then monitor the activity on the interface that goes to the router.

The easiest way is usually to find out the info from your existing isp, dont they provide a portal with some details of your connection ?

The key thing about the 40gb is that its subject to 'fair usage'. Being a cynic (and a plusnet customer) that says to me that heavy users will find themselves being throttled, thats what has happened in most other places with unlimited/large download limits( misnomer really since it is bandwidth including uploads) you get the file sharers piling in and flooding the network.

Talktalk & internet usage - Dalglish
smokie:

before anyone rushes in to join talktalk or tiscali or any other isp, it could be worth your while to check

www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

you pays your money and takes your choice.

Talktalk & internet usage - Pugugly {P}
BT is going to 8MB around here (less than 1km to the exchange) a guy in BT Managment who I know tells me that BT have been considering a free broadband pakage for some time now.
Talktalk & internet usage - Altea Ego
Your line has to be really good for 8mb, It may run but drop outs will be severe if you are too far away.

Unbundling means fitting new kit in the exchanges.

New Kit? This in TVM speak means "loads of agro for a year"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Talktalk & internet usage - Stuartli
>>some debate onine about whether the cap was 40 GigaBytes or 40 GigaBits.>>

It's already been confirmed that it's 40GB - more than enough for the vast majority one would feel.

I used to exist quite happily on a 2GB cap a month at first (and I'm on my system for most of the day) before it was enhanced to an unlimited service.
Anyone got any idea how I could measure this? >>

I use the (free) Tautology Bandwidth Meter which keeps a daily and monthly account of uploads and downloads:

homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/tbm/

Re TalkTalk's new offer. As a Tiscali BB subscriber (was with the company since its days of WorldOnline) I've just undergone the switch to TalkTalk via my One.Tel account (it's now part of TalkTalk).

I spurned Tiscali's immediate offer of "What can we do to keep you" when I requested a MAC code to allow migration to TalkTalk; it should have done its duty six months ago when it needlessly killed my BB speed through "service enhancements"....:-)

My saving per month will be a minimum of £10 to which I can add free UK and international calls to 28 countries, plus much faster BB speeds.

Anyone interested in the offer should ring 0845-818-7159 and ignore the "lines are very busy" message - I got through within 30 seconds.

However TalkTalk has been swamped with people taking up the offer and I'm not surprised. It will certainly shake up the other broadband ISPs in no uncertain manner from their complacency and indifferent approach in many cases to subscribers' concerns.
Thanks Stuart - but I want to measure at the router, not just one PC. This will give me an idea though, as I am one of the heavier users.
>>This will give me an idea though, as I am one of the heavier users.>>

I would presume that you could install Tautology on each computer as well as the first in the chain (which would provide the overall bandwidth use).
Can't get picture Images - Anglesey Ian
Please can someone assist ?

When browsing, my computer has developed the inability to show pictures/images/photographs and all that is shown is a red cross in a little square on the top LHS where the inage should be. I am running Windows XP.

This has not always been the case and only some images have been shown thus in the past but not to the extent as is occurring now.

Please show tolerance if this has been addressed in the past...have done a quick search and cannot find similar question.

In anticipation,

Ian
Can't get picture Images - Stuartli
>>Please can someone assist ?>>

If you use Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tabl and scroll down to Enable (tick) the Show Pictures check box.
Can't get picture Images - Anglesey Ian
Stuart

I am eternally grateful

TY

Ian
Dell Computers - Mike 996
Looking at buying a Dell PC as I can get additional discount through my employer. The model I'm looking at comes with a "New" 256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache graphics card or for an extra £87 a 256MB nVidia GeForceTM 6800. Can anyone tell me which card is the better one ? Thanks.
Mike.
Dell Computers - Altea Ego
Based on my experience of building machines with bleeding edge graphics cards, and all the pain that comes with it driver wise, and the fact the that the LE was released in March.......

Its the Geforce.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Dell Computers - adverse camber
If you are not into playing games then spend as little as possible - the preformance on ordinary activities like web/email/office is all much the same, difference is in 3d performance.

If you do game then I would look at the 6800, As tvm says that 7300 is newish and I have seen reports of dire performance with some games. Probably a driver issue that will get sorted in due course.
I dont think that the 7300le is as anything like as fast as the 6800 anyway, does it just have extra support for 9c ?

Have a look on anandtech or tomshardware for reviews of graphics card technology.
Dell Computers - Stuartli
>>does it just have extra support for 9c?>>

It would be very surprising if any recent times graphics card didn't support DirectX9c or earlier versions.
Dell Computers - cheddar
IIRC the 7300LE uses system memory rather like on board graphics, perhaps not a problem if you have a gig of ram or more, where as the 6800 has dedicated 256mb.

Dell also do the ATI cards on some machines the X300 and X600 both of which have dedicated memory and are fine contemporary cards with Direct X 9 support.
Dell Computers - adverse camber
It might be, but there are many recent cards that dont support ALL the features in 9c.
Dell Computers - Stuartli
>>that dont support ALL the features in 9c.>>

I'm not into gaming so I don't pay all that much attention to the bells and whistles.

However, I've got a pretty basic ATi 9550 256MB card and, because I installed the latest version of DirectX 9c the other day, I ran the DirectX Diagnostic tools. All were passed successfully and it also manages the 3DMark 2001SE tests, although I realise that's somewhat old hat now...:-)

My last card, with an nVidia GeForceFX 5200 chipset, used to crash the system on 3DMark 2005 after the second or third demonstration level.