Why does the site keep going down? - Adam {P}
3rd time this week. Some SQL problem with too many connections and even now I'm getting gibberish at the bottom of my screen.

I assume everyone else is getting the same problem?
Why does the site keep going down? - leef
Been on everyday this week and not had a problem yet?
This is what I'm getting at the bottom of the page;

Database error: Invalid SQL: SELECT ip FROM ip_log WHERE ip = '86.111.112.246'
MySQL Error: 1016 (Can't open file: 'ip_log.MYI' (errno: 145))
Session halted.

For the past 20 minutes the site has been completely unavailable. I know Espada couldn't get on the other day either so hopefully it's not just me!
Why does the site keep going down? - harry m
i have found it very slow the last few days and yesterday i had to scroll down when i clicked on a page to read the replys but had the ad's down the side ok.
Why does the site keep going down? - Altea Ego
Adam!

You are doing an IT degree and we get form you :

"some SQL problem" and "gibberish at the bottom"

DOH

At the moment its not logging you IP address, so you can abuse who you want how you want and say what you want and not be traced!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Lol!

Apart from it saying "Adam" as my username? ;-)

Supposedly we're doing an IT degree. Supposedly. I'm yet to see any evidence of it though.
Why does the site keep going down? - Altea Ego
Thanks for letting me know your ip address

I have 10 new TomToms arriving tomorrow, whatch for the bill.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Why does the site keep going down? - teabelly
If you're anything like our students then you can barely write a coherent sentence let alone understand anything about IT :-)

The error message is saying is that although the query itself is fine the table it is referring to has gone away for some reason. I would suggest that there is some trouble with the disk drives or file system the database is sat on.

www.mysqlfreaks.com/errors/26.php

I was basically right :-) It suggests the table is corrupt and that it needs to be repaired or dropped and reloaded.
teabelly
That was my next suggestion teabelly!
Why does the site keep going down? - Union Jack
I don't know if there is any connection but, yes, difficulty in opening up website this forenoon, and last evening Jetta advertisement above kept compacting inwards and expanding upwards into an "impressionist black blob", or sometimes screen was blank above "Discussion > Why .... "

Jack

PS Adam - I routinely find gibberish at the bottom of my screen, but only when certain people are posting!

PPS Not you ....
I am stupid RF but not THAT stupid! Well, maybe I am. But I took the liberty of modifying the I.P address hence the 111, 112, 246.

And Jack, I too get gibberish every day but the sad thing is, it's usually what I've just written!

P.P.S. Thanks :-)
Why does the site keep going down? - Armitage Shanks {p}
UJ I had some similar display problems on this site in the last 48 hours and now my flat screen monitor has blown up! Coinicidence I think; going back to my old CRT monitor makes me realise what a dire picture they have!
Why does the site keep going down? - Stephen
yeah - sorry guys. There have been loads of problems this week with the server behind the site. Basically the site usage has increased lots in the last month or so. That's probably an understatement too.
This was already a very busy site.
So we have had intermittent problems with files being downloaded from other sites, large mail attachments etc.
Finally we think we have narrowed this down to the drivers on the gigabit network cards (e1000) which basically have problems under higher loading. So much for new technology and open source drivers! - even if we are in the 3rd year+ or so of gigabit.

The live replication backup machine has a different primary network card with a different driver and hopefully doesn't have these issues. So we have moved the site onto this server while we sort out the primary one.
However, any crash of the main web server and restart causes database corruption of any tables left open. The logger tables, session tables which track your login sessions etc., are being updated frequently and so often get corrupted in the process. If these are not fixed quickly, then other processes to update etc. cause the server to go into overload very quickly again as the queues mount up. Hence the "too many connections" warnings .. and lock out.
... and the database whinging about corrupt tables is the "gibberish" you get at the top of your screen.
We have also had a purge of some of these high-use tables so they fix easier and quicker. We were up to some 4 million records at one stage for example.

.. also if the ad servers go a bit slow in peak time, this causes more people to mount up in queues on the server... all pressing their refresh buttons madly which makes even more load etc. and rapidly the main server has a lot more strain - esp multiplied across a few thousand users - all on high-speed broadband etc.

So it's a nice problem to have as it means that traffic is rising fast - as it is with successful sites, and one which we are addressing.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
... any support companies out there like to help out?

Cheers

----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
Why does the site keep going down? - Union Jack
Many thanks Stephen for all your efforts to restore the situation, and for explaining it so fully and so quickly!

Jack
Yep - thanks Stephen for explaining it.
Why does the site keep going down? - NVH
For info:
the popup from amch.questionmarket.com appears to be the chief offender.
Why does the site keep going down? - BobbyG
Yep - thanks Stephen for explaining it.>>

Did he????

Stephen , can you not just pull the battery out the back or disconnect from the mains? That usually works for me!!!!

Seriously, whatever you are doing to fix it, thank you, as it is so annoying having to scroll down each page to find the thread!

Why does the site keep going down? - BobbyG
Sorry, start of last thread was quoting Adam's thread.

{Adam's text was hidden because you'd put a less than symbol at the start, and a greater than symbol at the end of the text - now corrected. DD}
Why does the site keep going down? - blue_haddock
can you not just pull the battery out the
back or disconnect from the mains? That usually works for me!!!!

or do as all IT helpdesks do and tell you to turn it off and turn it on again
No no no no no! You're all wrong.

If all else fails, do what I do. Reformat it!