Can a child own a car (a real one)? - LHM
I'd like to know whether my son (age 14) can be the legal owner of a motor vehicle - perhaps also being listed as the Registered Keeper.

Had a few discussions with the guys at work, and we couldn't agree whether children actually 'own' anything at all - particularly items previously owned by their parent(s).
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - The Lawman
I don't think a minor can own anything.
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - Peter D
Interesting why do you ask this. If a child owns it you can not drive it becuase that part of your insurance policy and allows you to drive other vehicle TP if that vehicle is insured. The lad can not gain NCD as he is not insured. Tell us more it might be interesting. Regards Peter
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - rjr
I can recall a case several years ago of someone registering their vehicle in the name of their son (18 months old, I think) in order to escape parking tickets. The driver then parked anywhere he liked and amassed something like £20,000 of parking fines. When taken to court he claimed that as the vehicle was registered to his son then he could not be liable. I don't think he succeeded.

Can a child own a car (a real one)? - Mapmaker
>If a child owns it you can not drive it becuase that part of your insurance policy and allows you to drive other vehicle TP if that vehicle is insured.

Not necessarily. From previous threads on this topic, some insurance cos require the other car to be insured for DOC to apply, some don't. Mine (Direct Line) doesn't.
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - LHM
Peter,

I'm actually trying to ensure that a personal registration plate will be 'transferred' to my son should I shuffle off this mortal coil.

The number is currently on retention and I've had no response from the DVLA 'Sale of Marks' people on what happens should 'the worst happen'.

I had thought about buying a car (suitable for a 17 year-old), putting the plate on it (it would only have to be 'S' or newer) and leaving it on private land (a local farmer's barn!). Can my son actually be the legal owner of this vehicle, so it makes no difference what happens to me?

Or should I put the plate on my car and leave it to him in my Will?
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - IanJohnson
I would have thought a minor could own a car (they have trust funds these days don't they) but are they able as minors to give you permission to drive it?
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - barchettaman
Didn´t someone do this a few years ago, buying a Mini Cooper, registering in the name of their newborn (grand)son/daughter, and putting it into sealed storage ready for the spoilt brat´s 17th birthday?
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - keo-the-dog
my youngest has owned several cars and he is only 13. only ever had one problem taxing one as the post office seemed to think i could not insure a car i did not own, and refused to tax it. got it sorted at dvla local office though. ...cheers...keo.
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - Mapmaker
>I'm actually trying to ensure that a personal registration plate will be 'transferred' to my son should I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve.

If you want to use it in the interim, and then make sure he gets it when you die, put it in a will.

If you just want to give it to him, then just give it to him - as it appears to be possible!

Can a child own a car (a real one)? - local yokel
Minors can own things, for sure. My dad had to put my earnings on his tax return, and my daughter aged 15 earned a substantial sum from her part in a computer game that sold very well, so well that she had to pay tax. Taxman sent her and the accountant the paperwork, and took the money quite happily.
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - Peter D
I've read something like this before and I think that if you own the plate and a car then it of course forms part of your estate and you just leave your car to your son, he will become the keeper and of the car and the plate. If that helps. Yes minors can own cars but can not insure them. Regards Peter
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - Cliff Pope
Yes minors can own
cars but can not insure them.

So if a minor inherited a car, and kept it on part of the highway until he was old enough to drive it, he would be committing no offence by not insuring it?
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - Clanger
Be careful about putting a child's name on the V5; I've just been looking for insurance on confused.com (or should that be CONFUSED.COM?) and some companies declined to quote because my name is on Mrs H's car V5 although she is the main driver and legal owner.

I've always thought that the correct and indisputable way of passing things around after one's death is by will.

Final thought, by putting another name on the V5 you will raise the count of "owners" of that car, possibly to the detriment of a future deal when replacing the car.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - kithmo
I thought that registration numbers belonged to the DVLA and the fee you pay is for the use of them, not the ownership. If so then the number would go back to the DVLA upon death and would be re-issued. I could be wrong.
Can a child own a car (a real one)? - defender
the reg no is owned (well the right to use it )by the registered keeper so if you buy him any car,register it to him and sorn it he would be able to use it at a later time . You could use it and have a will leaving him the car it is on then it would become his .If it is valuable tell insurance co that in event of write off you will transfer it before settlement and get agreement in writing ,most are happy about this but numbers have been lost through not having this agreed