ford focus 1.6 TDCi flat spot - citmad
My C-Max has a acceleration flat spot that occurs around 1700/1900 rpm. I understand that this is a common problem, but my Ford garage cannot find it ( no fault code on diagnostic computer).
Has anyone had this problem, if so what was the cause, how was it cured and by whom ?.
I am looking for help from a W Yorkshire garage if possible.
ford focus 1.6 TDCi flat spot - cheddar
I am driving a C-Max 1.6 TDCi currently, I find it trundles along well at less than 1500 rpm though the torque only builds from just under 2000, not sure I would call it a flat spot though it is very different from my Mondeo TDCi which pulls like a train from 1500.
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - citmad
re my posting of 14/02/06 on this topic, I am suprised no one else has had this problem. It is a well discussed problem on the ffoc(ford focus owner club) web site.I have now found that there is a Ford SSM 18122 (special service message) on this problem. Does anyone know what this SSM reccomends ?
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - Dynamic Dave
Does anyone know what this SSM reccomends ?

An ECU Firmware update.

snipurl.com/mt3o
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - cheddar
Well I still have the C-Max (for reasons I will post elswhere later), it has now done 1200 miles and feels as though it has loosened up, it is subjectively more flexible below 2000rpm and certainly has not got a flat spot. Though it is a new car so should have latest firmware etc.
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - citmad
>> Does anyone know what this SSM reccomends ?
An ECU Firmware update.
snipurl.com/mt3o

Thanks for that info, do you know if it cures the flat spot problem ?
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - splash
This is not just confined to Focus 1.6 TDCi. All vehicles with TDCi have this problem. My have a(company car or else I would have sold it ages ago) 2005 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi. It has the flat spot, regularly stalls and cuts out. Several ECU firmware updates have been made by main dealer and Ford replaced the entire ECU, (with new keys, etc. because of the link to the immobiliser). Guess what ? It still has the flat spot and it still stalls. Just had to replace the EGR valve (again) because it was sooted up after only 4000 miles. On board computer gives average fuel consumption readout of 47-50 but calculating consumption based on the amount of fuel that goes into and the mileage for the tankful gives fuel consumption at around 40mpg.
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - cheddar
This is not just confined to Focus 1.6 TDCi. All
vehicles with TDCi have this problem. >>

No connection whatsoever, there is no commonality between the TDCi in the Focus / C-Max or the Mondeo. 1.6 and 2.0 Focus units are a joint venture with PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) and also fitted to Volvos and Mazdas, the 1.8 is the same unit fitted to the old Focus (and no worse for it) and the Mondeo 2.0 and 2.2 are chain cam based on the Transit block and also fitted to X-Type Jags.
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - splash
I agree that there is no commonality of the actual engine block and some of the mechanicals, but there is definitely a common problem with a flat spot in the 1500- 2000 rev range across all the TDCi engines, that at least was confirmed to me by a Ford technical person. The common area appears to be the ECU, but quite why they can not fix it is beyond me, and apparently Ford also... Thanks for all the comments and feedback..
ford focus 1.6TDCi flat spot - googolplex
My understanding is that the Mondeo 2.0 misfire is cured by the EGR valve replacement - together with the 'plumes of smoke' issue and a few other faults. There's lots of anecdotal evidence of this - see the mondeo owner's site forum for lots of info on this. (www.fordmondeo.org)
Nearly every posting refers to the dealers recommending an ecu upgrade, but very few seem to get any long term benefit from this. It seems to me to be a mechanical issue, not electronic.
You've just had the EGR replaced, so should notice an improvement. If not, you're the first I've read about to report this.

Fortunately I've never had the above issues. But mine did 'start' cutting out about 12 months back. This was completely cured by a new camshaft sensor - again at the second referral to the garage, because all they did the first time was upgrade the blasted ecu. Why do they do this!?
Splodgeface