Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Imagos
George Orwell predicted this sort of thing in 1948.

Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Baskerville
Orwell was far more subtle than he's given credit for though. At one point in 1984 Winston is told "If you obey the small rules you can break the big ones." We've been breaking the small ones--speeding, driving while phoning, dropping litter and other irritating things that many people want stopped--and the measures put in place to stop us "just happen" to have wider consequences. We get what we deserve.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Harmattan
I share these fears but what I don't understand is why more people do not see it as a threat. Perhaps it is because the British cannot believe their rulers would not resort to routine surveillance of the magnitude envisaged. You only have to look at the UK's record as the country with the most surveillance cameras per head of population of anywhere in the world to begin to doubt that. Remote computer monitoring of digital telephone systems is already routine in Western Europe. Ask yourself why Libya and Syria bought Siemens digital systems for their national systems.

However, motoringwise I have always assumed that these systems will not be retrofit or there will be some sort of date cut-off point. Quite where you fit the satellite box gubbins on a three-wheel Morgan, I don't know, or whether all old 6v systems will have to be changed to 12v!

The pre-1973 point currently used for zero RFL might become more important in the future? HMG may assume that no self-respecting terrorist would want to increase their visibility by driving a 'classic' car and impose the boxes on later cars!

When, not if, such systems are used to enable road charging, I can foresee a rise in prices for the most modern classic cars.

Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - martint123
People spouting "if you aren't doing anything wrong why are you worrying" doesn't help. Locally they go on about how many surveilance cameras there are and how a good thing it is. Tnen they say they will all be networked and used for tracking all vehicle movements and the details kept for years.

From press reports and some share prices, I suspect the gubbins will be built into numberplates, so you may lose the black tin plates on the old classics.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Hamsafar
"The only way the few can control the many is to make the many control themselves." - David Icke
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - drbe
"The only way the few can control the many is to
make the many control themselves." - David Icke

>>

Yes and david Icke was a much respected man, wasn't he? ;-)
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - drbe
>> "The only way the few can control the many is
to
>> make the many control themselves." - David Icke
>>
Yes and david Icke was a much respected man, wasn't he?
;-)

I should also have said have a look at his website davidicke.com

He's not bonkers, is he?
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Robin Reliant
It is a frightening prospect. I never cease to be amazed at how easily people will hand control of their lives to the state, blindly trusting them as if they were a benign old uncle with everybodies best interests at heart.

As for "If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear" rubbish, anyone who has reached my age and never had anything to hide really should have got out more.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - grn
"I never cease to be amazed at how easily people will hand control of their lives to the state, blindly trusting them as if they were a benign old uncle with everybodies best interests at heart."

Exactly which part of their lives are people handing CONTROL over?

Contrary to "If you've nothing to hide..." etc, how about defining exactly what your concerns are - that bit always seems to be missing from such "liberty" debates.

Perhaps paranoia increases with age?
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Adam {P}
>>Perhaps paranoia increases with age?<<

I doubt it Graham - I'm only 20 and I'm as paranoid as the day is long when it comes to stuff like this!
Don't let my above post imply that Tom is old! I'm sure he's a young whippersnapper....at heart ;-)
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Lud
As for "If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing
to fear" rubbish, anyone who has reached my age and never
had anything to hide really should have got out more.

Quite so, couldn't agree more, but what about people who are such liars, hypocrites and halfwits that they genuinely don't understand or believe this, seeing themselves as respectable and anyone the cut of whose jib they don't fancy as a sleazeball? About 30 per cent of the population at a conservative estimate, with another third quite like that but with saving graces.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Vin {P}
Freedom RIP.

The state's interference in what I do has been advancing like the tide over the past few years. This is just another wave. There will be more inimaginable advances in my lifetime until people rebel against it. There WILL come a time when the public rebels.

My tolerance point was reached with ID cards. I will go to prison rather than carry one. Perhaps Galileo will be the stopping point for a few more people.

V
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Aretas
It isn't just Galileo. (What a shame they chose this name. Galileo is one of my heros. Read "Galileo's Daughter" and you may be a convert too.)

How about number plates with Radio Frequency Identification Devices installed. Look at e-plates on www.hillsnumberplates.com/
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Nsar
Don't worry there'll be a gizmo on e-bay soon which switches off the tracking function, there always is!
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Altea Ego
You poor saps. You really dont know do you.

You can all whaffle on about GPS and being tracked, and how you have time between now and galileo comes on line, how you wont carry ID cards, refuse to use your phone, etc etc.....

You are being tracked NOW, and it will get worse VERY quickly. All of you walk around with at least one RFID tag about your person NOW. Within 12 months you will have at least 6 of these things about your person.

They will be informing on EVERY aspect of your life. In fact RFID tags make GPS look like the three blind mice.

As such the Galileo story is a scare story. It is already redundant for Human Interface Tracking.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Sofa Spud
I can't see this as a threat. If people know they will be charged and penalty-pointed automatically every time they break a speed limit, for instance, they simply won't do it.

Maybe it would be possible to track where your car or phone is at any time but there aren't going to be hundreds of thousands of people sitting at monitors tracking you or me throughout the day!!!
"Maybe it would be possible to track where your car or phone is at any time but there aren't going to be hundreds of thousands of people sitting at monitors tracking you or me throughout the day!!!"

No need for anyone to sit in front of a terminal. You simply set up a computer system to log the behaviour. In the same way, you don't need someone watching every Gatso in the country; they work automatically, and you get your document after it's been produced by a machine.

V
You're not one of those who thinks askjeeves.com is really a man dressed as a butler sat at a terminal answering people's questions - surely?
What do you suggest then TVM? Please enlighten "us poor saps"
You have to accept that your "liberty" or "Freedom" is a dead concept.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Shall we all move to Cuba?

Who's with me?
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Dave E
Yes TVM, please shed some light to help us less fortunate.

I am about to take the dog for a walk, what items should I not take with me to ensure our chosen route goes undetected?
The dog.
ADAM stop it. It was a serious question and deserves a serious answer.

You. You need to be naked and not have eaten for 24 hours and have had colonic irrigation.

Dog. No collar and needs to have been put in the microwave for 2 minutes before the walk.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Dave E
But what if the dog is too big for the microwave?
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - mss1tw
Your mobile for one...
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Oz
So, what if I choose to carry my mobile (or whatever) in a lead lined pouch. (I have this lead fetish... ;0)
Oz (as was)
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - nortones2
Faraday cages will be popular I think. Or borrow someone elses mobile...
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - storme
who gives a monkeys???

i have nothing to hide..i dont care if they know where im am!!!!

it means i will never get falsely accused of anything...
it means my daughter would be easier to find if anything bad was to ever happen
its like ID cards...i have nothing to hide so i am not bothered about them....i like to stay the right side of the law..

and if it means we all drive at the speed limit...then so be it..because we will get everywhere quicker if everyone in front and behind is doing the same

why do people bother about whether they know where we are or not....only someone upto no good would be worried

and my burglary days are behind me (joke)
--
www.storme.co.uk
>>it means i will never get falsely accused of anything...<<

Sure of that are you?

Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - John24
That's what the Jews said before the lorries pulled up at the door!
"it means i will never get falsely accused of anything..."

A woman recently had her son's fingerprint and DNA samples destroyed - he'd been arrested by mistake and the plan was to keep the samples till she appealed. She asked what would happen if there was a robbery in a McDonalds that her son had been in earlier in the day and left a fingerprint. The Police said he would have been regarded as a suspect and questioned.

In the same way, everyone who was driving in the area of a crime would become a suspect. So you might well get falsely accused (unless you consider arrest and questioning not to be an accusation).

Also, to all the people saying we have nothing to fear, bear in mind that while this technology is pretty permanent once installed, generally benign government such as we have enjoyed for the past couple of centuries is by no means guaranteed to be permanent. Imagine a dictatorship with these powers. Impossible? Remember, Hitler was democratically elected. It can happen.

V
Or you could just take the battery out.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - NowWheels
Or you could just take the battery out.

my mobile phone has an off-switch
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Dynamic Dave
>> Or you could just take the battery out.
my mobile phone has an off-switch

Switching off a mobile phone transmits a signal to tell the network the phone has been switched off, and where it's last location was. Removing the battery doesn't give the phone chance to transmit it's last whereabouts.
Thankyou DD :^D I couldn't be bothered to explain.

Ever wonder why your phone makes the TV go funny when you switch it off, same as if you get a text?
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - cheddar
Galileo is simply Europe's answer to GPS which is US based technology. Galileo is much more accurate so all you guys with your fancy built in sat navs, Tom Toms, Garmins, marine GPS systems etc are the ones who should worry because they will be old hat over night.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Thommo
GPS is owned by the US military. The military only GPS is the most accurate technology there is and Galileo will not (under current specs) match it.

The non-military GPS is less accurate but free for all and good enough for most applications. The idea that Tom Toms etc will become old hat overnight is nonsense as you will almost certainly have to pay to use Galileo and for what purpose? So your device guides you to with 1 foot of your house instead of 5 feet?

Purchasing military GPS is an option for national governments as long as the Yanks will sell it to you but politically unacceptable to many nations particularly the French and also because of course it can be switched off or played with by the US at any time.

Galileo is being developed for military purposes. All the other 'benefits' are just spin. Galileo will used by all EU forces including the British army. Military vehicles of the future will used such systems to identify their comrades those not identified will be assumed enemy. USA will use GPS. It is likely therefore that in future the British army will not be able to take to the same battlefield as USA as allies as their competing systems will identify each other as enemies. Interesting.

The ID cards, which we will all some be forced to get and soon be forced to carry will have RFID tags on them (read the proposals). We will very soon have a system whereby British citizens can be tracked 24/7. Terrorists who are non-British citizens will not be tracked as they will not have these cards.

If all this doesn't frighten you or you are of the 'I have nothing to hide' mentality then you do not fully comprehend the situation.

Me? I'm emigrating to Thailand.

(this is all way off motoring but was started by the forums owner)
The idea that Tom Toms etc will become old hat overnight is nonsense >>

I had my tongue firmly in my cheek!
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - hxj
USA will use GPS. It
is likely therefore that in future the British army will not
be able to take to the same battlefield as USA as
allies as their competing systems will identify each other as enemies.
Interesting.

Dont see how that will change things for the Americans.

Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - codefarm
lifetime until people rebel against it. There WILL come a
time when the public rebels.

Better get to it quickly - it's already illegal to read out a list of war dead at the Cenotaph without permission!
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Clanger
The EU is already planning to use Galileo to enforce continental-wide
road tolling, and the car-hating British government wants to be first.

The Galileo satellite tracking system will undoubtedly need a computer system to collate its data. The British government is hardly expert at installing new computer systems eg the CSA, the Inland Revenue, the original Poll Tax ...

I'm mildly surprised that anyone in government should be interested enough in my quiet life to spy on me but, on the whole, I'm not worried. The powers-that-be are way too inept to make real-time surveillance work properly.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
I like this game, TVM, can you give us a list of your favourite conspiracy websites please, but leave out the ones dealing specifically with colonic irrigation, it's almost lunchtime.
Geez guys!

I am starting to get paranoid that I might not be as paranoid as I should be!
This is interesting. I was under the impression that Sat Nav would become super accurate now. Will they become useless in years to come?
Funny enough I was talking to one of the project managers at the satelite company that put this thing in.

Full eurpoean galilleo gps coverage is years away.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - martint123
A Cincinnati video surveillance company CityWatcher.com now requires employees to use Verichip human implantable microchips to enter a secure data centre. Until now, the employees entered the data centre with a VeriChip housed in a heart-shaped plastic casing that hangs from their keychain.

The VeriChip is a glass encapsulated RFID tag that is injected into the triceps area of the arm to uniquely identify individuals. The tag can be read by radio waves from a few inches away.

www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/employees_chipped/
I've found a fatal flaw with it already.

What happens if someone steals your RFID chipped plates and puts them on their car?
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Baskerville
The plates will need to talk to the ECU in your car--no contact means no driving and the same applies to the thief. They may also be linked to a chip in your neck so the car knows who's driving, petrol stations can automatically debit your bank account for fuel etc. etc. In the name of convenience we'll accept it.

Personally I doubt it's worse than living in a village in 1742 when everyone knew everyone and deviation from the norm was punished harshly. It's just that we've associated freedom with anonymity since the growth of cities in the nineteenth century.
A government that can't administer the taxation or benefits systems without numerous time-consuming mistakes is no threat to liberty in general. Ministries that routinely waste millions on non-functioning IT systems don't fill me with dread and awe.

To reduce paranoia levels, consider the sort of task that blanket surveillance via mobile phones will actually involve: countless millions of movements and mind-numbingly pointless phone calls every hour. Does anyone really think they could bbe bothered, or that they could do it? No way. Certain individuals will be targeted, and I don't really expect to be one of them.

Swapping, abandoning, changing and modifying mobile phones are already common among criminals. This will continue.

I yield to none in my paranoia levels. I'd just rather be paranoid about real threats. Time enough to 'revolt' when people start being wrongly convicted on dodgy electronic surveillance evidence.
Quite, let's not forget that the 7/7 bombers were not even on the intelligence services' radar.
To give this a motoring link they can't even properly link up tax disc/MOT/insurance info to nail the scum who drive round in death traps without insurance.
So if it costs a Jillion Euros of our tax money, is years late and doesn't work properly anyway we are happy?
Who said anything about happy? Just not paranoid.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Sofa Spud
>>>>>>No need for anyone to sit in front of a terminal. You simply set up a computer system to log the behaviour. In the same way, you don't need someone watching every Gatso in the country; they work automatically, and you get your document after it's been produced by a machine.>>>>>>>>

Maybe, but my point is that most of the info would be so boring and inconsequential that nobody would ever check it - it might be used to gather statistics, I suppose. Most of us probably make cameo appearances as pedestrians on several dozen CCTV sites each week and never think anything about it, although people didn't like the idea when the cameras were first introduced.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Armitage Shanks {p}
Anyone feeling relaxed about the powers of the "State" and their ability and willingness to abuse these powers should read this, please
news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=196102006
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - tack
Galileo isn't the only "innocuous" thing looking at what you do and where you go. Supermarkets are reported to be ready to monitor by "chip" where the shopping you purchased goes to! The chip will not need much power, it is not "always on" but will respond to a requesting signal. They have come out with some nonsense as to why they would want such a scheme, but imagine them tracking you home via a tin of processed peas or a bag of frozen chips!
Wasn't there some fuss about something like this over Gilette razor blades?
That's just market research, probably useless like most market research (Ford Edsel, remember?). Or has paranoia reached such heights that people fear tinned peas will be declared a class A drug and the SAS come round and shoot you 11 times through the head before you can explain you already had them before the new law, pointing to the date on the tin?
Galileo and European Space Agency - drbe
Is Galileo any relation to the European Space Agency (ESA)?

The ESA has been trying for some time to get its own satellites working to beat off the monopoly of the Americans, who when it suits them, for military or other reasons, degrade the signal.

The ESA has now got its satellite working, this improves the accuracy from 7-10 metres to 2-3 metres and is catchily called EGNOS (European Geostationery etc) and is at last working, this competes with the American's WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System)

The point of all this is to say that if the British and European record on anything involving computers is anything to go by, we have nothing to worry about.

Put the civil servants and the politicians together and they couldn't run a chip shop - that's why they are civil servants and politicians.
Galileo and European Space Agency - nick
I always thought competition was a good thing?
I always thought competition was a good thing?

>>

Nothing wrong with competition, it's just that we don't seem to do it too well! especially if it involves computerry type things.
Galileo and European Space Agency - Altea Ego
>> I always thought competition was a good thing?
>>
Nothing wrong with competition, it's just that we don't seem to
do it too well! especially if it involves computerry type things.

Nothing wrong with that either,

BUT

Soon as you mix governments in it, and widen it to cross european governments ----------- disaster.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Galileo and European Space Agency - Hamsafar
No, it's called software - Sirius Conceptual Engine etc...

"Maybe it would be possible to track where your car or phone is at any time but there aren't going to be hundreds of thousands of people sitting at monitors tracking you or me throughout the day!!!"
>>>> >> Nothing wrong with competition, it's just that we don't seem
to
>> do it too well! especially if it involves computerry type
things.
>>
Nothing wrong with that either,
BUT
Soon as you mix governments in it, and widen it to
cross european governments ----------- disaster.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

As I indicated earlier, anything involving civil servants and politicians is destined to be a disaster.

Politicians and civil servants can't do proper jobs, that's why they are politicians and civil servants.

Only 5% irony intended in the previous paragraph.
I think the point is that at point of sale, they know who has purchased what product, i.e. the chip in the tin will have your identity via your payment card (unless you pay by cash)It won't be long before law enforcement make some use of it, i.e. to find out who was in a certain area at a time of an incident or whatever. Afterall, Tfl congestion zone cameras are not just used to catch people who haven't paid the charge, the law can serve a DPA form onto Tfl and request a search for a particular car. A DPA form can be used to access pretty much any database if you can show good cause.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Morris Ox
Governments are always several steps behind terrorists. That's the price you pay for liberty. now, there is terrific pressure now for some of those liberties to be surrendered so that Governments can allegedly get a few steps closer.

But I think we all know that it isn't the terrorists that the Government is going to catch up with first. It's you and me. ID cards were never about terrorists (they certainly wouldn't have stopped 7/7). They are about easy ways for Government agencies to keep track of ordinary people because governments are obsessed about collating data as they track, measure and monitor everything they do.

An as several people on this thread have pointed out, if Governments don't track you retail businesses will. The technology already exists to monitor movement and purchasing habits visually and electronically. Soon, they will be unveilineg programs that send you a text when you walk past a store you've shopped at before to tell you about 'offers you might be interested in'. They'll be able to do it in-car, too.

While we're at it, here's on other technology that's a double-edged sword. I was looking at the white plastic table in the back garden of my wife's uncle's house in Tadworth the other day. I was at a computer in Notitnghamshire, the table is in a garden in Tadworth.

That's Google Earth for you.
Inland Revenue regularly pull store card and credit card records to check your lifestyle matches your income.

I don't have store cards and only use credit cards when I have to. Wherever possible I use cash.

I also do everything possible to screw up any government database I can. When pulled in by the traffic surveys they always ask for the postcode you have come from and going to. I tell them one in Lands End and one in John O'Groats. Little acts of rebellion like this are extremely satisfying.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Pugugly {P}
I tell them one in Lands End and one in John O'Groats. Little acts of rebellion like this are extremely satisfying.

And what made this country great.

In a true democracy its the government that fears the people not the other way about. Ask yourself, on a scale of ten, where we're atas a Nation.
Fear = Dependency
Dependency = Control

All they seem to do these days is relentlessly churn out reasons to be fearful and the latest imminent nightmare.

Inland Revenue regularly pull store card and credit card records to
check your lifestyle matches your income.

Typical of this discussion paranoid tosh!
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Harmattan
When (if) I get back to Europe I think I shall be joining a new underclass of motorists happily cruising around in politically incorrect grand or sports tourers pre-dating the software era (Bristol, Mercedes, XJ, Bentley...) while the Prius generation tip-toes around feeling smugly green at whatever pre-determined speed limit is imposed by satellite technology. It's not the passive technology (we already have Trafficmaster, for example) of readable chips passing a given point that bothers me, it is the more proactive kind proposed for 24/24 monitoring of speed/parking/location by trigger signals sent by the in-built car systems. HMG is already trialling such systems and I seem to recall a date for introduction was mooted by one transport minister.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Martin Devon
Orange, the phone company offers, (or offered), a service where you dial in a certain number and they send you a text telling you where you are. I presume they do this through triangulation. Out walking the dogs I thought, hell this is worth a go. Now I could work out through triangulation where I was as I am aware of the aerial sites. Dear old Orange placed me at a point several miles away.

vbr....m.
'Typical of this discussion paranoid tosh!'

hxj,

I assume you are taking over duties from Nowheels this evening.

I am a Chartered Accountant and member of the Institute of Taxation, I have specialized in tax for over 20 years. I have represented many clients being investigated by Special Office.

If you come under investigation by Inland Revenue you are automatically subject to a lifestyle check which involves amongst other thing pulling store card and credit card records.

Try talking about something you know about.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - nick
The keys words are'under investigation'. Therefore presumably under suspicion of fraud or evasion. So I'm glad the authorities can get the evidence to nail them.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Aprilia
If you come under investigation by Inland Revenue you are automatically
subject to a lifestyle check which involves amongst other thing pulling
store card and credit card records.

>>

Good. Nice to know those much maligned civil servants are doing their jobs properly.

Actually I do!

Hate to have a spat with you but SO disappeared in the early 90's! And the Inland Revenue disappeared in April last year, tut, tut!

Yes if you are under enquiry HMRC will often do a lifestyle check, and will ask for your credit cards etc, but your comment implied, given the comments above it and your fear of being found out, that HMRC went around regularly gaining the information from a third party without anyones knowledge. The actual number of cases where HMRC get Section 20(3) TMA 1970 notices from banks/financal companies is well under 500 a year.

You only need to look at the fuss over the Special Commissioners' decision in the recent case involving the 'unknown party' notices using Section 20(8A) TMA 1970 to see what I mean.

Regards

PS Before you respond it may help you to know that I manage a team dealing with HMRC enquiries including those by SCI for a big four accountancy firm. You may need our help if you are so concerned about your personal returns that you try to hide your personal expenditure from HMRC :-)
Well well. Turns out you are our resident government mole attempting to rubbish any attempt to inform the public of the police state you are creating.

Nice attempt at disinformation by the way.

Special Office has changed names a couple of times but is essentially the same organization and as of 2002 (last time I was there) was still located on Borough High Street.

The Inland Revenue didn't disappear in 2005 (I wish it had) it merged with Customs and you took the opportunity to level up the powers of the Inland Revenue to that of Customs so now even IR officers can come through the door with sledgehammers at 6am without any reference to a court of law.

Also nice try in making out that my concerns are due to me being a tax avoider.

Shame you went from saying rubbish to admitting that the IR has the powers to pull records and we both know that 20 notices are only necessary when the information holder won't give up the information voluntarily now don't we?
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Micky
If you trust the authorities and big business then there isn't a problem.

I have no trust in authorities and big business and I do not want them to know where I am.
I trust government and civil servants much more than I trust big business. Would we all be happy if the country was run by "faceless" employees of Tesco, News International or some shadowy American data handling company? These businesses have far too much power over our lives already.

Anyway, has this forum suddenly become an organ of the National Council for Civil Liberties?
"> I trust government and civil servants much more than I trust big business.<"

Perhaps this could be viewed as: Which would a I prefer, a broken arm or a broken leg? Well, neither if possible. In theory, we should be able to vote out a government, but to be replaced by what? At least big business plans for the future and it's fairly obvious what its intentions are, but it's saddening to see so many people accepting the advertising spin for business, the politicians and the media. Having said that, the British have generally received what they voted for. We might not like the result of our voting but at least we had some say, although most people blindly accept the media frenzy. Cameron or Brown, that's a difficult one, perhaps it's time to give the alcoholic liberal a chance? Oh, he's gone; never mind they'll be another one along in a minute ;-)

If we accept the politicos arguments for more surveillance to fight mad people (the bombings in London on 7th July 2005 were committed by mad people, not terrorists) then we must accept a greater intrusion into our lives from the authorities.

New Zealand looks nice, it's got empty winding roads and open spaces. I had the chance to emigrate there in 1987, should definitely have gone. Still, there's always retirement... sometime :(
Nick,

Obviously. But this is much more widespread that you might imagine. Its not just the Asil Nadir's of this world.

Your say a plumber. Your profitability as per your tax return falls outside accepted parameters. You go on inquiry and they start pulling records. The companies commenced are very accommodating.

Plus a random sample that do fall within parameters will be pulled also for a look see.

Now you can say well if they are evading tax then good and if not the evidence will clear them but:

Now I am going to chose my words carefully. A lot of very lowly paid workers have a lot of power to pull records that may if interest to someone else. You get the picture?
Don't worry Thommo, you're not paranoid. They really are out to get you! ;-)
They'll never get me Nick. I know how the system works.
Dont you believe it.

From your internet "useage signature" I know where you live, what what you do, your real name, your hobbies, your thinking, your politics,..................
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
With all your computer trickery in the world you'll never guess my real name.
They'll never get me Nick. I know how the system
works.

That's what they want you to think!
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - Robin Reliant
Debates about liberty draw comments from the followers of two distinct camps. Those who believe that governments are benign bodies with our best interests at heart, and those of us who paid attention during history lessons at school.
Debates about liberty draw comments from the followers of two distinct
camps. Those who believe that governments are benign bodies with our
best interests at heart, and those of us who paid attention
during history lessons at school.

Or between those who know governments have nothing better to do than try to make our lives a misery, except sometimes just before elections, and those who also know that however hard they try it takes them a long time to make much difference. Just remember though never to vote for anyone who boasts of 'strength' and promises radical change to save the nation. History lessons at school, if they still had them when you were at school may be a help here.
"> Debates about liberty draw comments from the followers of two distinct camps. Those who believe that governments are benign bodies with our best interests at heart, and those of us who paid attention during history lessons at school.<"

Most definitely. The majority of the world's problems can be traced back to the Congress of Vienna and the Treaty of Versailles, which is meaningless to most people who would prefer to think about Big Celebrity Sister goes Skating.
Don't worry Thommo, you're not paranoid.

Reminds me..... There was a special panto edition of Cinderella for paranoid schizophrenics. Many were were injured in the stampede for the exit when someone shouted "behind you"!

On a motoring thread.....they got there by coach.

Stop talking in riddles and say what you mean!

If you accusing HMRC of bribing others to hand over confidential records please say so and confirm that you have passed this on to HMRC's internal investigation office. I can assure you that they will be delighted to get the information,you may even get a reward.

Using pointless inuendo with absolutely no information to back it is plainly daft.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - madf
Personally I am in 2 minds.
1. I like my liberty and any intrusion by the government is unwelcome in evryday life. And we all know that the ppolice and governement use laws in ways in which we are promised they never would be. For example Anti Terrorism laws to detain a protesting Labour Party member in the LP conference or a single proetstor in London.. but not against Abu Hansa for 6 years (jailed under some laws dating to 1860s!) or (those with placards advoating death to unbelievers.

2. BUT Centralised Government cannot run complex centralised IT systems (CSA etc)... so they make it inoperable.

But 3. following on from 2.. they'll persecute the innocent by mistook..

Far better to spend the time and money on Traffic Police so they can stop the wrong doers...
madf
hxj,

You know exactly what I'm saying and your trying disinformation again. I am not accusing HMRC of bribing anyone as you well know.

There is plenty of evidence that certain organizations target low paid functionaries who have access to valuable assets be they physical or informational either by inserting moles in to the organization or bribing employees.

The latest example that recently hit the papers involved the Post Office.
There is plenty of evidence that certain organizations target low paid
functionaries who have access to valuable assets be they physical or
informational either by inserting moles in to the organization or bribing
employees.

You're talking in riddles mate. What 'certain organisations' - do you mean gov. departments? Spit it out man.
Sorry dude I've gone as far as I want to go on a public forum.

If we ever meet in person, which given your history of posts on this site I would like, I will give you chapter and verse but no I absolutely do not mean governmental organizations.
Well I saw saw a guy in Tescos the other day who looked like an MI6 spy, Vanquish outside, girl friend in a fur coat, he was handing used notes to a girl behind the dairy counter, I think he was trying to find out how much milk we buy, big brother if you ask me, none of Tony Blair's business, I pays me taxes!
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - NVH
One for the conspiracy theorists:
Some Eurocrat named that satellite for a reason !
Galileo was a victim of.... the Inquisition !
Nobody expects...
Our main weapon is surprise...
Our two main weapons are surprise...and satellites !!
Our three main weapons errr.. and computers !!!
From the OP "the Japanese government have already passed a law that from 2007 onwards you won't be able to buy a new mobile phone in Japan without a satellite navigation system."

Can anyone provide a link to stand this up? I've goolged without success. It seems such an odd law to pass.
No different to "after 2003 you won't be able to buy a new car without ABS" though is it?

Was specific legislation brought in 2003, or was it just that all cars began to be supplied this way because the market went that way?
Pass. Sounded like a good counter-argument though.
Search for "replace E911 japan" or "DokoNavi"
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - L'escargot
I?m not proud of it, but I admit to exceeding speed limits every time I go out in my car. I have done for the whole of my 42 years motoring. I do it because I like driving fast, and with the knowledge that by exercising a modicum of prudence the chance of me getting caught is slim. So far, I?ve only been caught once. Our local paper helps me by regularly publishing a list of the location of all the fixed speed cameras in the county. It?s been a bit like a game of cat and mouse, with me doing what I think I can reasonably get away with. But laws aren?t meant to be treated like that. The law is the law. Unfortunately, the only thing that will make me endeavour to stick rigidly to the limits is the introduction of technology that guarantees that I will get caught every single time I transgress. It looks like it might be on the way. If I do get caught I won?t whinge about it. It will be a case of ?It?s a fair cop? or ?You?ve got me bang to rights?. After all, I?ve had 42 years of regularly breaking the law, with only one paltry SP30 penalty. It?s about time I was made to behave!

As for Galileo being capable of recording my journeys, I have nothing to fear from this. My conscience is clear on this score.

--
L\'escargot.
Galileo Signals End of Liberty in Europe - mjm
L'escargot,
We are probably about the same age judging from the length of time you have been driving(unless you started under age!). My philosophy is the same as yours, don't break the eleventh commandment. In all honesty, can you really see the incompetent morons we have in charge now getting this sort of system up, running and competantly administered before we hang up our driving gloves? (hopefully at a very old age!)