VW key coding - spadger
Hi. Have a 99 Passat. Can new keys bought from a key cutters rather than VW be recoded on the vehicle as with some Fords or is it dealer only? Some key cutters can cut the keys ok but the encoding machines are very expensive. Thans Alan
VW key coding - none
They can. Costs about £25 as long as you have an original key to copy.
VW key coding - Alec
Spadger, if you find a non-dealer who can code keys then please post here.
I understand it is no longer possible?

Rgds
VW key coding - Collos25
If they have a transponder for the alarm and ecu then only registered locksmiths can do this.They must also buy the key for you and pay for the relevent codes from VW and also have have the programing equipment.AS I found to my cost having to pay out £160 plus vat .THe dealers have you by the short and curlies
VW key coding - Aprilia
The code belongs to the owner, not the dealer. The dealer has no business charging you for 'your' code.
VW key coding - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Try telling that to a Ford/Mazda main dealer.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
VW key coding - Collos25
The code belongs to the owner, not the dealer. The
dealer has no business charging you for 'your' code.

He is charging you to put your code into the new key and pair the key and the car together.Total rip off I agree.
VW key coding - none
Maybe I've got things wrong (again !)
I recently had a key copied /cut for a VW LT. The locksmith checked that he could program the transponder and two minutes later I had a new key. Less than £30.
County Locksmiths, Southampton.
VW key coding - Collos25
LTs have no mapping between the key and the ECU they are bog standard keys with a door opener(and thats an extra).We ran a fleet in Germany on one contract some ran with screwdrivers as keys.Unlike the cars which map everthing through the key ECU,radio,alarm,anti theft.