Vauxhall Electronic Diesel Control - Graham Perry
Does anyone know the general principles of how the EDC works on the new Vectras (Oct 2000 onwards) I can see that its not a common rail system but it looks like a hybrid mechanical system with electronic Knock sensors in the head and injection that has an electronic primary fuel pulse to cancel noise followed by the main injection pulse. Is this correct ?

Reason I ask is mine has an irritating problem and I cannot convince the main dealer that there is anything wrong with it. When cold it is wonderfully smooth and one would doubt its a diesel and most of the time when warm its excellant. But about 5 minutes in every hour it looses the plot and sounds horrible, just like the very first DI transits. Its running on all cylinders when this happens and there is no smoke. Its just as if whatever injection trickery they fitted electronically to cancel the noise that Direct injection diesels make has been teporarily turned off ! Has anyone heard of this problem ?
Re: Vauxhall Electronic Diesel Control - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Is the rough running accompanied by the Engine Management light illuminating?
If so, the ECU may tell us the problem.Common problems with these systems are; Airflow sensor failure,EGR problems and leaky injector seals.
Re: Vauxhall Electronic Diesel Control - Graham Perry
Andrew, There is no warning light showing, cars only done 10k so I would have thought an injector problem is unlikley. Do you know if there is an engine temperature feed to the EDC system as this might be the problem ? It seems odd to have a diesel that is quieter when cold than when warm !
I have heard of the problem of the air sensor but no-one has clarified what symptoms to look for if this is faulty.