Confiscated cars - Alan
What happens to the cars confiscated from tobbaco smugglers by MH customs; and what if the car does not belong to the driver can they still take it if its hired or a company car.
Re: Confiscated cars - Rob S
I recall reading an article in Car Mechanics last year about these cars, I think they are mostly auctioned off but can also remember hearing rumours that some police forces were using the more exotic ones as Q cars to catch unwary speeders. Not like them to do something so underhand!
Re: Confiscated cars - David W
Many go to East Coast Salvage (01206 213688) at Colchester. They claim to have around 1000 cars on site.

They were supposed to be dirt cheap but they have crept up with that bit of recent publicity.

Example....

J-reg Sierra 1.8LX £650
L-reg Fiesta Diesel £1750
D-reg Volvo 740 Estate £650

Frankly you can match/better these prices round the private ads and small dealer trade sales any day.

David
Re: Confiscated cars - steve paterson
I work for a Truck / Van hire company. One of our vans was searched and impounded at Dover. (Too much duty free stuff). We were told to collect the van. We were told that if the same hirer was found to be driving one of our vans, and stopped for the same reason, the van would be confiscasted.