New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - oldgit
I am somewhat dismayed or disappointed, one might say, that my new Golf MK V 1.6 SE takes rather a long time to warm up during the very cold weather that we've had recently. The car is left outside but still seems slow to give warm air from the heater by comparison to previous cars that I have owned under similar circumstances.

I would say that on the cold mornings such as we have had recently, it takes at least 2 miles for the heater to output
reasonably warm/hot air through the air vents and it is at this stage that the temperature gauge shows the needle to be just reaching the central 'normal' position i.e. 90 degrees celcius. (This, is with the aircon 'off' of course).

This is in marked contrast to my partner's new Fiesta (garaged, admittedly) which has noticeable warm output from the air vents in less that 1 mile!

New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - Xileno {P}
My diesel Renault is a bit poor on heater output but I understand this is quite normal for diesels.

Short of fitting a Kenlowe pre heater, I don't think there's much you can do about it.
New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - Altea Ego
does it have climatronic?

this appears not to wont to work till the car has reached a pre set temperature.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - kenl
Crikey, some people are really picky :-)

I too have a 1.6FSI and TBH have no problem about the warmup time. Have you tried pressing the recirculate button so the car is only warming air within the car, not the Baltic stuff from outside?
Crikey, some people are really picky :-)
I too have a 1.6FSI and TBH have no problem about
the warmup time. Have you tried pressing the recirculate button
so the car is only warming air within the car, not
the Baltic stuff from outside?

>>

Yes, I do use the recirculate button now as this improves matters slightly.

My model has the semi-automatic 'Climatic' aircon system.
Interestingly, why do Golfs and their ilk have rotary temperature controls marked in degrees centigrade, indicating some more advanced temp. control system, whereas other cars, including all my previously owned ones just have a rotary control with red/blue gradations on them.

I would imagine that the Golf's is more sophisticated in that the temperature will be maintained in the cabin, according to what is set on the dial?

New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - kenl
does it have climatronic?
this appears not to wont to work till the car has
reached a pre set temperature.

1.6FSI has climatic (standard AC)as standard, climatronic (climate control) is an option.
New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - tack
My Diesel Citroen C4 takes a while for the heater to warm up. It is climate control. If I set it on "Hi" it takes ages to kick in.
Hello kenl. Small world isn't it?

Marvin
New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - Bill Payer
1.6FSI has climatic (standard AC)as standard, climatronic (climate control) is an
option.

Climatic is a little bit more than 'standard AC' - it should automatically maintain the set temperature, which is why the dial is marked in degrees (rather than just red/blue ac commented on earlier). However all the other controls (fan speed and air flow are manual).
I think this system is fine (my daughter's Ibiza has it)- I've had several cars with full climate control and I always end up using it manually (therefore with just auto temp control).
New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - pdc {P}
I'm sure that the heated seats in my new passat don't get as hot as the seats did in the old passat :(

Climatronic is hot quite quickly, though I find myself with it set at 78 most of the time, where as 72 was sufficient in the previous passat, and the golf which preceded that
New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - Editor
IMHO the garaging would make for that kind of diff on a frosty morning. If it really bother you start her up & then go & get your getting your work stuff/ lunch together. Don't forget to lock it!

2 Miles! Seems rather better than fine to me.

Try an old 'proper' beetle....& that's with all the tinwear & seals & ducting all good & proper. The only time I've ever driven a vehicle with gloves, a hat & indeed a 'car coat'.
New Golf 1.6 FSI - cold weather car? - Dr Rubber
FSI petrols seem to take longer than "normal" ones to warm up. This may be due to their supposedly improved efficiency. Still better than diesels though!
Joe