The End is Nigh? - No FM2R
>>There will be fewer cameras and more 20mph zones, warning signs and traffic calming.

And that's a good thing ? You're going to make me drive at 20, smash my car over various ridiculous "calming" devices, all because cameras offend plonkers with no control of their right foot with a god-given right to drive at their chosen speed either because they're legendary drivers in their own mind or because they are incapable of looking at a speedometer and driving safely ?

I hope they don't go winning any more victories on my behalf, I don't think I can afford it.
The End is Nigh? - Hamsafar
Speed cameras are now fast becoming obsolete, smart number plates due 2007 and national NGANPR system due April 06 will make them largely redundant.
The End is Nigh? - Waino
Speed cameras are now fast becoming obsolete, smart number plates due
2007 and national NGANPR system due April 06 will make them
largely redundant.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are smart number plates and NGANPR systems and how do they work? Thanks.
The End is Nigh? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I appreciate that cameras can now read and recognise number plates and thus spot untaxed, uninsured and/or non-MOTd cars but how can they detect speeding? Are we talking about SPECS type technology here?
The End is Nigh? - Altea Ego
There will be nothing smart about my number plates. Its amazing how easy it is to disable an RFID tag

Specs type technology will be the one increasingly used in the future. You can be "autofined" for no tax and speeding at the same time.

More excuses for less police.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The End is Nigh? - Thommo
Erm... don't you get around all this technology by just cloning a plate from a car that you know (or hope) is taxed, insured and MOT'ed? Easily obtained in Guildford (and no doubt elsewhere) from the 'bloke down the pub'. Am I missing something here?

Plus an RFD tag needs a working government computer system. I know several IT consultants who have made a fortune off the air traffic control system at Southampton and it STILL doesn't work properly.

More chances for the government to harass basically honest motorists for minor infractions whilst the bad boys just step around the system.
The End is Nigh? - Falkirk Bairn
The problem with cameras (of all types) is that they are only capable of catching REGISTERED CARS - they cannot catch the cloned number plate / no ins / no RFL / No MoT brigade.

The TV adverts for RFL Licence only prompts people who own & register their cars and who may have forgotten - to the 5 or 10% of cars and vans that are unregistered it makes no difference.

According to my local paper thsoe caught for no Ins/MoT etc get fined £100- £250 or so - could be less than the 12 mths RFL far less the cost of even 3rd party insurance which can be > £1000 for young or people with a driving history.

Why not make the fine in courts = approx cost of 1 year's 3rd party insurance cost or 3 x cost of RFL - fines that really are meaningful and not just a slap on the wrist.
The End is Nigh? - L'escargot
smart number plates due

Will that be just for cars first registered (or manufactured) after the operative date, or will it be for existing cars as well?
--
L\'escargot.
The End is Nigh? - Roly93
I know a bit about this ANPR (automatic number plate recognition)technology from some of my activities. I'm not sure what smart numberplates are, I think they just use radio technology to respond to a base station to tell what numbers are passing a set point, similiar to the system they use for road/bridge tolls etc in parts of Scandinavia.

All I can say is that the technology for video cameras that are able to recognise characters on a numberplate at the roadside is now fairly mature. These cameras have the ability to directly access a database via say DSL as an access method instantaneously.
That is that unlike previous methods where the ANPR function relied upon a picture sent to a central software application which then did the interpolation.
Whether this will be tied in with SPECS style technology remains to be seen. However I dont think you can get away with dirtying or changing the didgit spacing, as these cameras also take an 'evidential' picture which can be referenced in the instance that the ANPR function fails.
The End is Nigh? - David Horn
You'd be surprised at how many numberplates up in Leeds are carefully muddied to make them unreadable. Can't see how this is going to stop the 10% of people who don't tax or insure their cars, though, they'd hardly register them in their own names.
The End is Nigh? - turbo11
One of my work colleagues hardly ever washes his car.Last winter he was nicked for having an unreadable number plate.His lack of using a bucket and sponge cost him £60 and 3 points.
The End is Nigh? - Chicken Madras
Time to get the sponge onto SWMBO's car then! Out of interest, which code did your colleague get? After a look at the DVLA site, I can't see anything which covers "Driving with a numberplate in an unreadable condition".

TIA,
CM
The End is Nigh? - commerdriver
Time to get the sponge onto SWMBO's car then! Out of
interest, which code did your colleague get? After a look at
the DVLA site, I can't see anything which covers "Driving with
a numberplate in an unreadable condition".

the highway code seems to say that it's construction & use regulations so whatever infringements of these come as.

Annex 6 "number plates MUST be kept clean and clear"