Police Numbers - plod-u-like
Read the very interesting thread on numbers in Germany......1 per 5000 in the UK, you're having a laugh. My old patch - which had 8563 souls on its electoral role+ under 18s, was Policed by three of us - one on a day off, one on days and one on lates and we covered everything bar fatal TAs and Serious Crime. In one 12 month period I recall, I dealt with an Air Crash - the bodies, and associated enquiries, 13 "other" fatalities. An average of one a week of damage, and injury TAs, a domestic a shift and all the other c***p. And if one car was screwed you had a half dozen to deal with each victim expected a Gold Plated service with a smile.

As an example I will describe my last late turn before I got a new job

1700 on duty, paperwork, catching up with the previous evening's work (all time critical)
1730 Called to a two vehicle injury TA, Traffic not available, more paper, accident book 30 pages, Issue tickets to drivers, breath test both(one in local hospital 1 hour wait.), injury forms.
1900 called to Burglary in progress, on arrival find two persons in a house where they had a reason to be, say that they climbed thru insecure window as owner was out. Search them and vehicle (more paperwork) nothing obvious. Check on one male shows as Disq. Driver.
2000 called to a suspicious youth in a remote location, find youth who is suicidal, detain him under MHA to nearby hosp. 2 hour wait to book him in an associated papers. Whilst there get a call from the occupant of the house to say
that property is missing.
2200 return to patch, to see occupant, on my way see the offender's van, stop it
and disq driver was driving nick them both for the burglary, take them to custody, arrange recovery of van to the nick to be searched properly.
0010 return to patch from custody (13 miles each way) to search their flat, whilst there encounter a wanted person sleeping there, call for back up (20 minute wait) she threatens us with a hypo filled with blood, saying she is HIV+ (what would you do ?) and escapes...search flat find property return to station at 0400, to file report book in seized property in case I,m accused later of nicking it.
05o0 finish
0900 return to duty, record statement from Burglary victim, trace Wanted Person and nick her,1030 return to custody Interview Burglars, also interview them for jobs elsewhere, 1500 finally finish paperwork bail prisoners. Of course the driver said I was a dirty rotten liar and that the other was driving. 1600 Attend interview against three others for my current job. 1730 finish.

Hours Worked in 24 hr period was 20 , no meal breaks, had 3 hrs sleep. Drove over 150 miles, during those miles I kept to every signed speed limit, but admit to breaking it to the 3 "immediates" I was called to the previous evening. Also had to keep eye on the ball as regards powers and other legal angles in case they are dissected by a sharp suited brief in an Air conditioned Courtroom months later. Acts considered were Road Traffic Act, Theft Act, Mental Health Act and PACE all of which needed a good working knowledge in the cases I encountered that night. No doubt I was seen driving by members of the motoring public. I can predict their thoughts as
1. Typical Plod no regard for speed limits as he goes for his Burger/Doughnut.
2. Typical Plod driving around aimlessly wasting taxpayers money,when he should be standing on my street corner guarding my property whilst I'm out in the pub.
3. Typical Plod picking on the motoring public.
And no, after having worked in the front line for 22 yrs, I will, I hope manage to work my 30 and that my health will continue to be good. I will be retired at 50 but only after contributing 11% of my Salary to a Pension scheme for the 30years I will have worked.
mode off.
Re: Police Numbers - Mark (Brazil)
Whilst I would not do your job, and I wish you luck in it; whilst I will help you whenever I have the opportunity and have always been treated with courtesy and fairness by the British Police, whilst I, and my wife, have been directly helped by various members of the British Constabulary......

I am afraid I couldn't stop myself quoting this song........[sorry]

Song of the Sergeant
from gilbert and sullivan's pirates of penzance

When a felon's not engaged in his employment?
(His employment)
Or maturing his felonious little plans?
(Little plans)
His capacity for innocent enjoyment?
('Cent enjoyment)
Is just as great as any honest man's?
(Honest man's)
Our feelings we with difficulty smother?
('Culty smother)
When constabulary duty's to be done?
(To be done)
A policeman's lot is not a happy one.
(To be done)
When the enterprising burglar's not a-burgling?
(Not a-burgling)
When the cut-throat isn't occupied in crime?
('Pied in crime)
He loves to hear the little brook a-gurgling?
(Brook a-gurgling)
And listen to the merry villiage chime?
(Villiage chime)
When the coster's finished jumping on his mother?
(On his mother)
He loves to lie a-basking in the sun?
(In the sun)
Ah, take one consideration with another?
(with another)
(To be done)
A policeman's lot is not a happy one
Re: Police Numbers - plod-u-like
Tee Hee, glad to see that G&S' satire is alive and well.
Re: Police Numbers - crazed idiot
sympathise entirely, and understand that this situation happens a lot

however also know from personal experience, friends in the job, been around a bit, etc, that its not like this always

i know of one large city where some nights it is mad panic, bt other nights there is absolutely nothing to do, and the play cat and mouse all night in police cars... sorry but its true...

and i also know that there ARE a lot of hard working coppers out there, and ive met a few, and respect them greatly

but your senior management stinks, they often have no clue how to lead, have been promoted way too soon, and pander to stupid local political whims

AND personal experience of being stopped by traffic (without the benefit of a warrent that special get out of jail card that ive seen used so often as a passenger in friends cars who are cops) and the over the top lecture, and petty speeding enforcement and ticket issueing for SAFE driving really really upsets me... especially when as you know if there was a real crisis bugger all coppers would turn up, and many many unsafe driving acts are routinely ugnored because the only unsafe act is speed... what complete and utter tosh... as most cops know... and sadly it alienates the vast majority of the hard working driving british public

good luck
Re: Police Numbers - El Dingo (Martin)
Plod-U-like,

Like crazed idiot I have some (mixed) sympathy, having been at the scene of a nasty accident.

However, my only (slightly serious) brush with the law included the junior officer who, not having been at the scene, made up a fraudulent incriminating statement. This no doubt got him promoted and got me done for DWDC&A and three points (old style points).

God help us now the boys in blue have 'how many nicked today' targets to achieve to avoid being sacked...

My angry mode is now disengaged...........

Martin.
Re: Police Numbers - El Dingo (Martin)
BTW the two events in my previous post were not connected.
(why can't I see the error of my ways before I post!)

Martin.
Re: Police Numbers - Dave Y
Plod gets a bad press these days. On the rare occasions I've had dealings with the police they've acted above reproach. Last summer no. 2 daughter managed to near T-bone a truck out in the Notts countryside at a cross-roads in SWMBO's Ka. No-one injured, car wrecked. Police turned up and were both professional and very compassionate. I was impressed
Good luck to you - a difficult job made near impossible by the meddling politics of the present bunch of buffons we are told is government.
Re: Police Numbers - Phil P
Mr u-like,

reading in your post how few PCs there are to deal with real crime makes it even more scandalous that there seem to be so many employed purely in Traffic. Glad to see that this is being addressed to some extent in London.

All the best