Pug 106 1.5 xnd starting - rodbic
Pug 106 1.5 XND starting
First start on a very cold day is rough and sluggish and it picks up slowly.
Just like a bad glow plug but it is not that. All the glow plugs and the control are working properly.
I am not getting excess smoke
The rest of the day I get normal starting even after several ours standing and good pulling from low revs + no contamination of water or oil. That seems to rule out head gasket.
Any suggestions?
Pug 106 1.5 xnd starting - Peter D
Try priming the pump for a good 15 seconds then start, if its fine then you are pulling air into the the fuel system overnight, could be the fuel filter seal or pipe unions. Regards Peter
Pug 106 1.5 xnd starting - hm
I agree with peter.....check for air...
Pug 106 1.5 xnd starting - bell boy
how do you know the control box is working ok?
Pug 106 1.5 xnd starting - 659FBE
If there is no smoke, the most likely causes of poor starting are an air leak in the fuel system (check the rubber injector spill pipes and blanking piece) or possibly the waxstat is not applying full injection advance. Check that the waxstat bowden is fully tight, and that the advance lever is fully on its stop when the engine is cold. These cables rust up internally - apply thinned waxoyl to the spiral outer sheath.

The post heat on these engines can be up to 5 minutes - check with a voltmeter on the glowplugs, or listen for the engine note to change as the load comes off the alternator. Use Beru plugs only for consistently good cold starts.

If you have an air leak in the fuel system, starting will be improved if you pump the "hand grenade" primer until it is hard before attempting a start.