Queue defending "heroes" - razzle
Greetings all,

There's something I am seeing more and more often when there is a queue on a dual carriageway before it merges back into one lane:

Most often, the majority of traffic (being British) queues in lane one, instead of queueing equally in both lanes and filtering off the dual carriagway in turn.

Not a problem in itself, but this does make most efficient use of the road length available.

However, there seem to be a growing breed of "hero" queue-defending folk who will move out into lane 2 and crawl along with lane 1, to stop the "inustice" of someone making use of the available road space. Despite there being empty space in front of them.

My question? Is this unlawful blocking of a carriageway? It is very frustrating that not only are some people incapable of using two lanes, but that certain individuals think it their responsibility to "police" the resulting queue.

Does anyone think these situations could be improved by more "Use Both Lanes & Merge in Turn" signage?

Raz.
Queue defending "heroes" - Nsar
In answer to your question: actions speak louder than words, by which I mean that the more it is normal for people to do the defender role, the more likely it is that people will realise that there is a better way to deal with queues. This combined with signs may help, signs alone won't.

I do it if I'm in the mood, I don't if I'm not. I tend to come down the outside lane then slowly slow down till I'm at the same speed as the inner lane, indicating all the while. Someone eventually twigs what's happeneing and lets me in close to the shut off point.
Queue defending "heroes" - daveyjp
A few merge in turn signs virtually remove this problem - I know, I've seen it!

In a similar vain a couple of weeks ago I was parked in a car park for a rugby match. We usually have a couple of beers and leave when the car park is quiet, but on this occasion we had to leave on the final whistle. The car park was chaos, but I let someone out in a BMW who was trying to leave one of the rows. A Volvo parked on the left verge was waiting to join the queue leaving and the guy in the BMW (who relied on my good will to let him out) refused to let him out even though traffic was at a standstill - he accelerated to fill the gap then stopped dead beside the Volvo. When traffic got moving there were three lines trying to exit one gate and the BMW driver then refused to let anyone out in front of him!
Queue defending "heroes" - BobbyG
This has been covered in previous threads but quite spooky that you mention it today as I have seen this in action only 1 hour ago on the M8 in West Lothian.

As you suggest we were approaching roadworks and everyone was filtering into one lane well in advance and the traffic was going along at 45 mph quite happily.

However then a few cars started to go down the outside lane to take advantage of the extra lane and then try and cut in, causing braking, bunching of traffic and subsequently the flow of traffic ground to a halt.

So if you ask me, I think it is only the selfish who go down the outside, who think that their journey is more important than everyone else. I think the first warning of roadworks should be accompanied by a "move over now sign", not in 800 yds when the cones are there.

I am sure it could be proved that a single line of traffic will move quicker than two lanes merging into one whilst cars are practically stationery, which is what tends to happen. Also add in the road rage that goes with protecting your own space!

I am all in favour of Mr Artic sitting on outside lane blocking any passers and chancers.
Queue defending "heroes" - SpamCan61 {P}
I am sure it could be proved that a single line of traffic will move quicker than two lanes merging into one .

Not if motorists understand the concept of 'zip merging'...and the single line queue will be twice as long as the two lane queue anyway.

This has indeed been discussed before, last time I heard such a discussion was on the radio a few weeks back, the traffic cop who phoned in was quite clear on the issue - zip merging is the proper course of action.
Queue defending "heroes" - No FM2R
A merge is required at point x as indicated by bollards and the like. I can quite see that merging at point x - 10 yards is silly and counter-productive.

However, some know-nothing truck driver or self-appointed car vigilante who is only capable of seeing what happens in front of him, and not able to use mirrors sufficiently to see what chaos he is causing behind, and who has so little relevance in the world that in a desperate attempt to be significant has decided we should all merge at point x - 2 miles should have been previously extinguished as being of little use to the world.

Idiots. Moronic, self-important idiots incapable of uderstanding the basic theories of traffic merging. I delight in teh rare occasions that I see someone involved in such activties suffer a puncture, breakdown or be otherwise frustrated in their tiny little lives.

This is not to say that the situation as described by BobbyG is acceptable, those are other idiots.
so what do you suggest fm2r
>>so what do you suggest fm2r

More traffic police. Lots and lots more.

More willingness by the police to use Careless Driving charges, perhaps even CD fixed penalty tickets.

Self-important, self-appointed vigilantes to be shot. Repeatedly.

to start with a few......

Good practical suggestions, every one of them.
Queue defending "heroes" - pdc {P}
I think the first warning
of roadworks should be accompanied by a "move over now sign",
not in 800 yds when the cones are there.

Rubbish. If they wanted you to move over 800 yards in advance of the cones, they would position the cones 800 yards in advance of where they did.
But at 800 yds if the traffic is still moving freely, why not move over to the inside lane?
The idiots in the outside lane will continue till the cones are facing them, slam on the brakes, move over to inside lane causing all the other traffic to slam on their brakes etc.
Why not just move over when you can?
Queue defending "heroes" - nortones2
Zip merging has been examined with the following results:

"Introduction:
This project looks at ways of controlling traffic on the approach to roadworks in situations where traffic is forced to merge because of a reduction in the number of lanes.

Project Objectives:
Substantial delays are caused by this merging manoeuvre and the accident rate is significantly increased. This project seeks ways of improving throughput, reducing delays, and increasing safety.

Summary:
Extensive trials have been undertaken both by means of computer modelling and through on-road tests. The work has led to a better understanding of traffic behaviour during the merging process and has suggested a number of possible improvements. These have included the development of \"zip merging\" which decreases driver frustration and encourages better queuing discipline, thus reducing the impact of queues on upstream junctions. "

By Highways Agency www.ha-research.co.uk/projects/index.php?id=428
Some police forces are encouraging zip merging, but not much publicity given.

Queue defending "heroes" - Aprilia
I agree with the above post - filtering in early is OK, but belting down the outside and then barging in at the last minute certainly does get people's backs up because everyone else is effectively pushed further back. I remember on one occassion on the A52 in Derby a 4x4 actually drove down the right-hand grass median strip (passing all the queue jumpers in the RH line) and then cut straight across into the LH lane!
Normally, of course, these characters are 'king of the road' types whose time is much more valuable than anyone elses. I doubt they would do the same in a supermarket or Post Office queue because they know what would happen.

The flow rate through a single lane is pretty much fixed.
Queue defending "heroes" - SpamCan61 {P}
>>The flow rate through a single lane is pretty much fixed.

True, but as I stated above the single lane queue will be twice as long as the two lane queue. Classic example the other week near Romsey; single lane at the south end of a stretch of dual carriageway about a mile long. Everyone was queueing in a single line, which backed up all the way back to the next major roundabout, and gridlocked the entire area. A two lane queue wouldn't have stretched back to the roundabout a left the traffic flowing.
Queue defending "heroes" - smokie
Foot in both camps here.

I fully agree that queueing from a long way back is absurd, and would be happy for some driver re-education to make it happen. Proper zipping has to be quicker.

However as long as it isn't happening, I am not sufficiently arrogant/confident to sweep down the empty outside lane and expect someone to let me in without giving me some grief.
Queue defending "heroes" - Bromptonaut
An unusally late start into Northampton this morning and saw a few examples of this at pinch points rather than roadworks.

I think Aprilia pretty much sums it up. Queuing in two lanes up to the pinch and zipping is not an option as it obstructs right turn options for others. Most traffic anticipates the problem and rolls off the ring road into the nearside lane, but a few mmembers of the "number one club" try and push in.

More tempted to vigilantism by the half dozen cars/white vans abusing the (utterly unecessary) Bus Lane.
Queue defending "heroes" - apm
The extra merge-in signs would help- but MUCH better if we just got in to the habit of flitering in properly and quickly: then there would be no jam at all. What seems to happen is that lane 2 people pass lane 1 people, hoping to get ahead. Lane 1 people resent this, and drive close formation to block lane 2 incomers, and this forces lane 2 people to wait until the end of the queue to try and join there- and here is our problem! There was a link in a thread a couple of weeks ago to the website of an American guy who had theories about this, and a very neat diagram showing the effects, of both poor and effective filtering! I hope someone will be along shortly to paste this in. Having read this self-styled traffic crusader's thoughts, I always leave a gap in front of me.

Alex.

PS why are we so angry & selfish in our cars, driving right up to the car in front, to make sure the guy in the next lane can't get in (god forbid he should be in front of us!)? I've noticed it in myself, and try to stop it, but it does seem to be an almost given reaction from many drivers. Personally, I am glad that I'll shortly be swapping my daily 45 mile commute to work for a train, and can drive for pleasure again!
--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Well, if everyone drove nose to tail to make sure that the lane 2 people couldn't get in, then maybe the lane 2 people would filter in futher back.

There is always some sucker not paying attention who will let cars in at the last moment, which just encourages the practice.
PS why are we so angry & selfish in our cars, driving right up to the car in front, to make sure the guy in the next lane can't get in (god forbid he should be in front of us!)? I've noticed it in myself, and try to stop it, but it does seem to be an almost given reaction from many drivers.

Not only that, but once you are through the roadworks you go chasing after the guy that cut in in front of you to prove to him that he didn't gain any advantage! :)

Well, ahem, a friend of mine does, honest!
Queue defending "heroes" - cheddar
Zip merging or 'merge in turn' has to be the best way, as the traffic density increases comimg up to where the two lane go into one it should be natural for road users to use both lanes and merge in turn at the point of narrowing. This procedure, encouraged by signs, is working quite well at the long term contaflow near Ashburton on the A38 in Devon (though if you are going beyond Plymouth the A30 is quicker).
Queue defending "heroes" - R75
"IF" and it is a big "IF" people could learn to merge in turn then it would be ok, but what happens is you get someone who feels they are more important then anyone else and tries to get get in front without waiting their turn. No doubt they are the same person who screams up the outside lane to cut in at the last moment!! I go along with what has been said earlier about single lane traffic moving better then 2 lanes trying to merge. There is less stop starting.

Not that it particulary bothers me either way, The most anyone will normally gain is a mater of seconds, and if they want to earn themselves an early heart-attack for the sake of 10 seconds then they are welcome to it.
Queue defending "heroes" - IanJohnson
To be contentious the problem is all the people who merge before they have to - if they want to form their own queue they can, why should they object to someone legally overtaking them!

Speeds shoud be reduced early to a level that can be supported by the reduced number of lanes - enforced by cameras (or it will be ignored) with zip merging at the cones.
Queue defending "heroes" - Big Bad Dave
I never encountered this till recently when I got stuck directly behind two trucks. I didn?t realise what they were doing, I just assumed they were running side by side so they could have a natter. But I could see through the gap, miles and miles of clear tarmac in one lane. I was behind them for 30 minutes.

The mild irritation of someone cutting in at the front was nothing compared to the state I was in when they finally merged. If I could have prised them out of their trucks, I would have buried them in the roadworks.
I always travel in lanes 2 or 3 to within a couple of hundred metres of the cones, and then attempt to get over. It saves the embarassment of being blocked at the last minute, and is also a bit more courteous.

I don't do it because I think that I am more important than anyone else. I do it because there is no law that says that I can't. I'm not as stupid as the numpties who form a queue 1 mile before the cones.

Before now I've come across signs warning of a reduction from 3 lanes to 1, and have sailed through to me destination, past people queueing for miles, without seeing the reduction because the signes were put out before the cones.

I've witnessed several lorries perform blocking manouvres, but it's a sinch to mount the verge and still pass them, slowly. Better still, undertake them, as it annoys them even more.
Queue defending "heroes" - martint123
There has been the odd one done for obstruction round here for sitting in the outer lane when it is clear in front of them but they want to play "you're not getting past me".

I've seen 5 mile stretches of the A1 with all the lemmings sat in the inside lane for roadworks that ended an hour ago.

ISTR a trial on a DC where both the innner and outer lane were paritially coned off so that drivers in both lanes thought things were equal.

The most effective road usage I've seen is the "zip in turn" often enforced by a cop or uniform of some sort. The tailbacks were much reduced and little or no stationary traffic occured.
Martin's mention of a man in uniform reminds me of the slip road from the A4 up onto the M4 elevated section, which used to be part of my daily commute. There is a clearly marked and well signed left hand lane for those wishing to join the motorway. Of course at night this used to queue back for ages. So people would use the inside lane of the A4 then cut in at the last minute.

However occassionally the police used to be there to wave these people on up the A4, and sometimes they stopped them (dunno if they got booked - if so, what for?).

Agreed that is a different scenario, but what a waste of valuable police resource... although I know that this was a "filler" - they'd do it, but as soon as they got a proper job they'd leave it.

Queue defending "heroes" - just a bloke
Just what we need.... more roadsigns to compete with all the over signs that now cover our verges and road surfaces.

If there are 2 lanes that have to merge then use 2 lanes and merge zipper style at the appropriate point.

The slamming on of brakes and bunching up is caused by the almost exclusively British preserve of "I'm not letting you in" that so many drivers employ these days.

This is no different to the way people drive on 3 lane motorways in such a way as to effectively turning them into 2 lane motorways.

People who pull out to "block" another road user who is perfectly entitled to use the lane is the one who should be in trouble and should be the object of your collective contempt. They are willfully and deliberately adding to congestion.

JaB
Queue defending "heroes" - commerdriver
Totally agree that the blocking is wrong (agressive & self righteous) however i get equally annoyed with those who glide past a stationary queue of vehicles and push in at the last minute, especially when they try to justify it with a claim that they are doing it to "use the road most efficiently" when the real reason is also agression.

Bewfore anyone shouts at me I don't mean the line a mile before the roadworks which is just starting to fill up and get slower, I mean the last few hundred yards when anyone with any sense or manners is already in the queue taking their turn.

I do believe if merge in turn was signed and both lanes were equally used then that would probably be the best compromise but that's NOT what the Highway Code currently advocates.
Everyone seems to be agreeing that people barging in at the last minute causes a jam, everyone seems to agree that merging in turn is an ideal but that it doesn't really happen in real life, everyone seems to agree that forming a sngle line miles before the start of the cones is pointless and also makes life easy for those barging in.

What are the constructive suggestions?

Whenever I have very progressively slowed down in the outside lane, eventually matching the speed of the inside lane before finally joining it a few hundred yards before the cones, the effect seems to be calming on the cars in my mirror, they too slow down progressively and having got the picture zip merge over a distance of several hundred yards. That seems to be a constructive thing to do and avoids most of the problems of squeezing the whole thing into the last couple of hundred yards.
re: Nsar - Whenever I have very progressively.........before the cones

I kind of bristle at anybody other than the police policing, but I guess your approach has a level of common sense to it. However, how does one equate that to the truck who goes side by side with his mate from 2 miles before the issue? Or, as on the A34 last year, 5 miles before the loss of lane. And it is typically vans and trucks - not because they are any better or worse than anyone else, simply because cars that try it tend to get swept to one side.

I think of my 3 suggestions above we should retain hhe following;

"Self-important, self-appointed vigilantes to be shot. Repeatedly."

and add;

"arrogant, myopic gits who try to crash the queue 50 ft before the cones should be dragged form their cars and beaten. And then shot. Repeatedly."

Of course, although the lorries are blocking the outside lane for a long time, they eventually reach the obstruction and then zipping can commence properly.

However there will still be drivers in the inside lane who will stick like the proverbial to the car in front and who will manage to upset the zipping process.
Queue defending "heroes" - Dalglish
who will manage to upset the zipping process.

>>

unfortunately, as this thread demonstrates, there are so many drivers who are ill-informed about merging and zipping. in a society driven by politeness and the queueing culture, you will never convince people that the correct legal procedure is to merge just before the cones.

you can have countless discussions and campaigns on how merging and zipping should be done, but like the middle lane hoggers, you will never educate them once the bad queueing habits have formed.
>>in a society driven by politeness

England may have had, in the distant past, a polite society or even a society driven by politeness. I see no evidence of that these days.

Its an aggressive society inhabited by largely nosey, interfering, pedantic, jealous, selfish, self-important do-gooders who are determined to inflict their views of acceptable past-time and behaviour on the remainder of the world.

And nowhere more does that show than oon our roads. I drive on the M40 more or less every day. Given the direction I travel traffic is virtually never an issue. I pretty much never slows at all and if it does it only slows as it goes past a couple of trucks. It is about as stressfree as a motorway can be with the possible exception of the M45.

And yet there is pushing, shoving, gesturing, waving, malicious braking, tailgating, lane-hogging and generally unpleasant behaviour every 10 yards or so. Women are no better then men, and frequently more aggressive. Big, expensive cars are usually nto the issue - but the mid-range Vectra/astra/renault wotsit/fiat-thing are a nightmare.

There is a little prat in a Clio who has tailgated the Landcruiser so often that one of these days I am going to follow him off at his junction and park ontop of his car before inquiring as to why he tail gates me.

I find it a real effort to prevent myself descending to the level of the average inadequate oik out of annoyance.
Queue defending - Dalglish
Its an aggressive society inhabited by largely nosey,
interfering, pedantic, jealous, selfish,

>>

i.m.o. that is certainly true when it comes to most issues related to motoring, especially once they get inside their car. ( politics of envy -or should that ***** envy specially to be noted the anti 4x4 or x5 or anti any-bmw or merc brigade ).

however, if this agressive behaviour was to be evident when they slowed down or stationary, surely then the above mentioned zip-merging queueing problem would disappear - because then everyone would be trying to jump the queue !

Queue defending "heroes" - s.a.k.r
So what were the results of the trial in DC where lanes 1 and 2 merged into lane 1.5?
Sounds like a reasonable idea.
Neither lane owns the subsequent lane so there is ambiguity about which lane is the queue. On reaching lane 1.5, it would be difficult not to merge in turn.
Queue defending "heroes" - Rats
I always think that the process works better if the nearside lane(s) is coned off rather than the offside lane(s), drivers then seem to merge in turn.......And so often the offside lane(s) is coned off then it swaps to the nearside that is closed...WHY????????????????
Queue defending "heroes" - nickKK
One of the dual carriageways near to me is under going resurfacing work and the contractors have used a contraflow on one carrageway while the other is out of action. when they started the queues were terrible, so later in the week the traffic police in charge of the area said.

" to use both lanes until 200yds before the single carrageway, then to prepare for merging and allow at least one car to merge "

this seems to have reduced the cues, Like most I stick to the left lane to watch some one shoot along in the right hand lane usually a 4x4,

But locally it is more lorries that perform the Policing task but they generally sit inbetween the two lanes so they still have a space but nothing can get round them.
Queue defending "heroes" - Altea Ego
Zip merging works. I experienced it working on the A1. They put the signs up zip in xxx yards with a piccy for the brain dead to explain.

It worked - two lanes zipping in turn 40 yards before the pinch at 35 mph.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Queue defending "heroes" - drbe
Zip merging works. I experienced it working on the A1. They
put the signs up zip in xxx yards with a piccy
for the brain dead to explain.
It worked - two lanes zipping in turn 40 yards before
the pinch at 35 mph.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family

There is a 'merge in turn' (or something similar) on the Bracknell by-pass and it works well.

If all drivers are happy to have two lines merging without any antagonism, then there isn't a problem. It is only when the vigilantes are active, that there is a problem.
Queue defending "heroes" - Bromptonaut
I always think that the process works better if the nearside
lane(s) is coned off rather than the offside lane(s), drivers then
seem to merge in turn.......And so often the offside lane(s) is
coned off then it swaps to the nearside that is closed...WHY????????????????

It can be risky to force traffic to merge from a "slower" to a "faster" lane, which is why the end of a crawler lane is often effected by merging lane 4 into lane 3.