passat 1.6td estate 1990 axle bushes - theragnuke
My passat has just failed it's MOT on amongst other things rear axle bushes, I have been told that this is a real pig of a job, and the garage said they would be reluctant to take the job on for less than £300 as it takes so long. Would this be a job for a diy mechanic with alot of spare time. I am reluctant to scrap it as its fuel economy is fantastic, the other option is to keep it for spares and buy another one.
so has anyone done this job if so how hard is it. All the other jobs are very simple and not a problem.

thanks
passat 1.6td estate 1990 axle bushes - martint123
I've not done it on one of those - but - I have done it on another car. Pig of a job. Everything rusted up, getting old bushes out of chassis components often needs a very large vice and making up some bits of steel tube to push the old rubbers out. Some are reluctant and need burning out with a torch. Replacements aren't cheap either. Doing 16 bushes took us two weekends.
Price up replacements first to see if it's worth it.

Martin
passat 1.6td estate 1990 axle bushes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
We did some on an Audi 80 a while back, sod of a job rusted fixings and making up drifts and tubes to press out and in. £300 sounds just reward for the job. After all, £300 doesnt buy much in the replacement car market!
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!