The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 39 - smokie

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 40 *****

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 39.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846
Trevor McDonald Tonight - J Bonington Jagworth
Following on from the discussion in Vol 38:

I now discover that the TSRGD regs I thought I was looking at were, in fact, proposed amendments (presumably not yet ratified) so perhaps the actual rules are more or less the opposite.

I read: "The provision for signs with a red or black border to have a white edge has been deleted since yellow backing boards have been shown to be much more effective in isolating a traffic sign from its background and improving conspicuity."

Does this mean that yellow backing boards are not yet allowed? What was the 'Tonight' programme's argument based on? I didn't see it, unfortunately, and the ITV website is less than informative...

Any informed comment much appreciated!
Trevor McDonald Tonight - Dwight Van Driver
The argument JBJ was centered on the fact that they showed a 30 mph restriction sign mounted on a circular yellow backing plate. Richard Bentley pointed out that this was illegal as the sign was not as shown under the Directions - a requirement by Reg 11.

Whilst the 30 mph sign (blk numeral on white plate within a red circle) was legal it was what it was mounted on wasn't.

The Traffic Signs (Amendment) General Directions 2004 (w.e.f.27.5.2004) amend the TSGD of 2002 and state that a yellow backing plate has to be rectangular in shape. Exception where there is combination of Town name and speed restriction sign, which can be any shape.

dvd
I should, JBJ, have added of course that it would have been legal if a special application had been made to Sec of State to have it authorised, which I gather was not the case in this instant and as there is already a contingency for the sign/backing - not likely to be granted.

dvd
Thank you DVD. You are, as ever, the fount of all knowledge.

Shame, though. I don't suppose that making the backing plates octagonal with a pair of tinsnips late at night is really recommended...
Put the snippers away JBJ because if you see a rectangular sign, 10 to 1 it has the corners trimmed into a curve...

Now what is and where is the definition of a rectangle?????

dvd

"what is and where is the definition of a rectangle?"

Good question! However, I am forced to admit that the backing board in question is a lot more rectangular than circular. Just shows the difficulties of legal definition, though. For instance, IIRC, in geometry a line has only one dimension... :-)
Trevor McDonald Tonight - Dynamic Dave
The argument JBJ was centered on the fact that they showed
a 30 mph restriction sign mounted on a circular yellow backing
plate.

There was also the woman who bought umpteen £5 disposable cameras to prove that temp speed limit signs were on the motorway one day, but not the next. She won her speeding case because she built up enough evidence to prove that the road had inconsistant speed restrictions, but was still monitored daily by mobile camera units.
Scamera Angel of North to Chester le str - geoffken
Regular northern drivers will know this is/has been night time contra flow for 3 months plus.

Day to day traffic flow usage means that it is impossible to exceed 50 because of traffic volume.

Saturday midnight.
Contraflow in operation
Men working
Foul weather
Only taxi drivers and nutters doing more than 50+
plenty of them as south bound has no SPECS or speed camera i.e no white markings
No place for scamera.

Return 9.30am Sunday morning northbound
No Contra working
1 mile of clear road through 50 limit/works area
all 3/5 lanes open
No men working
Scamera in position under bridge around bend in road of start of down hill stretch (under A1231 bridge) reduced visibilty to spot.
No doubt all of us caught will be PROOF that motorists are still speeding in road works and should be penalised/stealth taxed further whilst untaxed/uninsured drivers can speed through and not be caught.

Finally would police not be better used stopping one eyed cars i.e. 1 head light or rear light or brake light.
If these are not checked what chance brakes etc.
Should be required to produce in working order at police station in 5 days like licence/insurance
Scamera Angel of North to Chester le str - Snakey
The fact the scameras only appear when the traffic is flowing freely and no roadworks are in place tends to suggest the purely financial motive behind it.

Scamera Angel of North to Chester le str - Dwight Van Driver
Not sure on that one Snakey if you see the speed drivers go at downhill after Washington Post House, left bend into C.Le St interchange.

F1 isn't in it.

dvd
Scamera Angel of North to Chester le str - Blue {P}
In fairness it's a hard road to get caught on, there are warning signs every 200 yards, although it's probably a case of them crying wolf, the signs have been there for so long with no actual camera that maybe most drivers ignore them altogether.

Personally I stick to 50 in that area regardless of the time of day.

Blue
Scamera Angel of North to Chester le str - Perturbed
You've been unlucky not to have spotted the camera before now. It's been there all week!
Camera Detector - Adam {P}
www.microfuzion.co.uk/

Any use to anyone?
Camera Detector - sierraman
Yes,HJ brought this to our attention a couple of weeks ago.
I have one and it works well,plug in,drop onto the magnetic mount and away you go,aquisition is that quick.Downloads are simple and free.It gives your true speed,interestingly my speedo reads spot on,verbal warning and speed limit when near a camera and a telling off if you are speeding.It has other functions to,but as these have to be found with one button a bit fiddly when driving,also I do not ,for example,need to know my height above sea level that often.Worth the money?if it saves a hit that is more than half saved.If ordering don't bother with the express postage,mine arrived the next day with the standard.
Sorry - I never realised it had been mentioned before. I'd seen Inforad before but it looked awfully basic.

I'm very tempted by this actually. In fact, I'm going to buy one tomorrow morning unless someone dissuades me in the meantime.

Thanks for the info sierraman.
Just as an aside, is there anything I can add to my Navigon PNA 150 Sat Nav for around the same cost or am I best sticking with the separate unit?
Camera Detector - buzbee
Is there Satellite lock information?

Obviously, if it loses lock, it will not know where it is.
Do you mean the Microfuzion?You can see how many sats it has,usually between 5 and 7.It occasionaly announces a camera on a main rd when you are on an adjacent side rd.also when crossing A roads on the m-way.It is generally spot on so it must know where it is.
I imagine if it lost it's signal it would fail to warn you of any but get back on track once it found them?
Camera Detector - Citroënian {P}
You seriously expect me to talk you out of buying a gadget? ;-)

Can't see you'll go too far wrong for £100 - the colour's a bit strong though, would the silver fit your interior? It wouldn't fit with our car.
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
That's what I'm thinking Lee - the cost I mean. If it was a useless pile of garbage then it's not the end of the world.

Black, cream, walnut and silver - not the best mix but my sat nav's silver so...

At this rate, I'll have a Microwave, TV and foot spa all wired in!
Camera Detector - Citroënian {P}
Now a foot spa would be an excellent addition to the car, rather that than infra-red headlamps/display as in the new S class.

Just noticed the extras for that device - not USB as standard (it's RS232) so £19.99 for a cable, then another £9.99 for a magnetic mount. But conversely, only £19.99 to connect it to an iPaq for GPS so could be a good saver if one already had an iPaq and wanted satnav. Would be handy on its own and as part of the iPaq setup.

Can't remember which sat nav you have, but if you're running TomTom, pocketgps.co.uk have checkPOI and a speed camera database which are pretty good.

--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
Citronian,it does come with a magnetic mount,if I wanted one for another vehicle I would stick a flat magnet on the dash,£10 is a bit steep.When going to the car show in my mates Disco last weekend a bit of blutack did the job.
The silver is a bit of a pain due to reflection-but if it was black I suspect it might cook on a hot day under glass.
Camera Detector - David Horn
I would bear in mind that it appears to need a serial port to connect to your PC. Most modern PCs and laptops lack these now (for crying out loud, they're 20 years old...) so budget for a USB to serial adaptor.
Hmmm.

I have this sat nav

www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h748.htm

I know there's a hack to reveal the OS behind it and I can install something that has the POIs (and so, speed cameras) on for a lot less than 100 quid.

Can someone more knowledgeable (LEE!!) advise?

I can't remember if my board has a serial port or not. I suspect it doesn't.
Yes I thought that odd.When I first saw it I thought it would be either or,like an ipaq cradle,but the USB is just for power.
Disappearing speed cameras - sierraman
Driving into Leeds on Abbey Rd I noticed a camera was not there,on the opposite carriageway.All that was left was the road markings.Later on Galloway Rd in Bradford I came across two adjacent cameras that had gone,again leaving the lines on the road.I do not mean someone is going around ripping them out with a JCB,the tarmac was repaired where the posts had been.
So what is going on?Has anyone else come across cameras taken out of use?
Disappearing speed cameras - henry k
So what is going on? Has anyone else come across cameras taken out of use?

>>
There was one on the A3 south at New Malden, near Kingston that was missing for over a year due to it being hit in a RTA.
I posted recently that it had been re-installed.
A few miles further on, also on the A3, southbound at the Hook underpass the Gatso has been removed.

We locals have to beware of stangers who, unsure of the speed limit, slow down when the see the road markings.
Disappearing speed cameras - reevsie
There was one on the A3 south at New Malden, near
Kingston that was missing for over a year due to it
being hit in a RTA. - bit ironic really

Theres a stretch of road on Epsom Downs called the switchback and the speed camera is going to be replaced by a flashing warning sign displaying your speed. Apparently the camera got torched on a regular basis.
Disappearing speed cameras - Altea Ego
Henry

The southbound hook one was causing accidents.

Its in the area where people didnt want to get trapped in the turn left off the A3 lane so tried to force back in. Right in the area where people were slamming on brakes!
Disappearing speed cameras - henry k
The southbound hook one was causing accidents.
Its in the area where people didnt want to get trapped in the turn left off the A3 lane so tried to force back in. Right in the area where people were slamming on brakes!

Thanks for that RF.
It makes total sense. I have not seen any local reports on it.
As you are probably well aware, in its original installation location it was one of several on the A3 that were hidden behind other road signs.
I am surprised there is not a Gatso earlier on where the narrow lanes curve right before the slip road to the Hook roundabout.
Disappearing speed cameras - Roberson
A189, between the roundabout for North Seaton/ Newbiggin and the turn off for the old Blyth power station in Cambios disappeared a while back, and IIRC hasn't been replaced.

If it has I?ll come back and update this thread, but I?m sure it?s gone.
Disappearing speed cameras - smokie
Wasn't there a recent statement that unjustified (by stats) speed cameras should be removed? Maybe that's coming into play...
Disappearing speed cameras - redafour
On the B6109 between Alfreton and J28 of the M1 a gatso was removed a year or so ago the reason was a new mini roundabout had been put in a few yards beyond so I guess its revenue raising properties had dwindled to nothing seeing as everyone was slowing down at that point in the road.
Welsh Police on the News - Adam {P}
Made me laugh. Was a news piece on Granada reports about half an hour ago about Wales Police. Brunstrom has banned smoking and has said that they won't take on cops who are smokers. Bad enough in itself but whilst the report was going on, it was showing you footage of what North Wales Police do all day.

It was a cop sitting in a van lasering traffic. Then it switched to a van parked up on an off road with the doors open doing the traffic, then to Brunstrom sitting at his desk looking busy with papers, then to a cop in a camera van printing off a still of a car he'd just done.

It was about North Wales Police in general but made me laugh how that was the only footage they had of them.

Small things I know...
Welsh Police on the News - Altea Ego
Is Brunstrom still head of NWP? thought he had moved on to bigger and better things?
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Welsh Police on the News - Vin {P}
"Brunstrom has banned smoking and has said that they won't take on cops who are smokers"

Cue human rights law case costing hundreds of thousands of taxpayers' hard-earned to defend. Smoking's still legal in the UK. On what legal basis can he be doing this?

V
Welsh Police on the News - Stuartli
>>On what legal basis can he be doing this?>>

Apparently the union side is taking up the case on behalf of officers who are affected - IIRC it mainly concerned traffic officers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Welsh Police on the News - Vin {P}
"IIRC it mainly concerned traffic officers"

Well, that figures.

V
Welsh Police on the News - tack
Brunstrom has banned smoking
and has said that they won't take on cops who are
smokers.

Not a bad idea when you consider that the average smoker in a working place takes about 15mins-20mins per working hour for a "quick" puff break outside the office premises.
Welsh Police on the News - smokie
I'm sure smokers would often prefer to stay at their desks rather than huddle outside in the cold and wet. All right with you? :-)
Welsh Police on the News - mss1tw
I'm sure smokers would often prefer to stay at their desks
rather than huddle outside in the cold and wet. All right
with you? :-)

Why don't they just quit like I did then?

Hardly rocket science is it.
Freedom of choice?
That's my point, if they can choose to smoke why can't they choose not too, and therefore choose to stay in the warm.

Not saying it's easy quitting - but the after dinner ones are a lot harder to give up than the freezing-cold-rain-gale-force-wind ones...
Doh, I fail at formatting text. Grrrr.

Use the left and right pointing arrowheads (over the , and .) where you used square brackets. smokie, BR Moderator
Welsh Police on the News - No FM2R
>>but the after dinner ones are a lot harder to give up than the freezing-cold-rain-gale-force-wind ones...

Not in my case. The after dinner ones were easy. Difficult was the first of the day, about 3pm on a work day, and anytime life is miserable - such as "freezing-cold-rain-gale-force-wind"

Still, its only been a year and a bit, no doubt it'll get easier soon.
Still, its only been a year and a bit, no doubt
it'll get easier soon.

Heh, I hear that. About 9 months for me - one day the cravings will be completely gone, right?

Right?
Welsh Police on the News - No FM2R
According to my mate the first 10 years are the worst.
Much as I'd love to continue this debate, and (willpower permitting) I'd also love to kick the habit, we've drifted off topic so I won't respond. :-)

The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 39 - pdc {P}
I heard on Radio 4 this morning about a guy abroad (Holland) I think, who was done by the same gatso 4 times in 1 minute 37 seconds. He apparantly thought that someone was firing a flash gun at him, and repeatedly drove back and forth trying to catch them!!!!
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 39 - cumfray1
Just about as daft as the Gatso that was in the paper last week for clocking a WALL at 85mph.
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 39 - Snakey
On my way into work this morning, just seen that classic example that the Talivans are for profit alone.

Busy 30mph stretch of road, traffic at rush hour is 20-30mph at best but you might get to 32 if you're not concentrating. Talivan hidden behind a wall so that only the right hand side 'scamera' window is visible, but to all intents and purposes the van is obscured by the wall and some trees. I only spotted it when my detector went crazy (I was trundling along at about 25mph!)

Obviously there to catch as many people recklessly driving at 31mph. Nice little earner at £60 a time

If the 'partnership' are there to reduce speed, then why is the van blantantly visible so that anyone who was considering speeding would see them and slow down...I know the answer, purely rhetorical question!
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 39 - artful dodger {P}
Here is the detail to this daft speeder who must hold the world record for the quickest ban possible! He was a Turk driving a BMW in Switzerland.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005...l

Interesting to note that in Switzerland the fine for being caught speeding is £110 for each offence. Makes our £60 sound cheap (ha ha).

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Thats the one I mentioned earlier, but I thought it was in Holland. Bad radio news recall :-(
Camera Partnership revenue - reevsie
Do you know whether camera partnerships are obliged to provide details of their fine revenue, admin costs, etc. I cannot seem to find any info from my local partnership - Sussex Camera Partnership.
Camera Partnership revenue - Quinny100
You could make a request for the data under the Freedom of Information Act, but the partnership could levy a charge.

Some partnerships publish their accounts and stuff like calibration certificates on their web sites to ward off such requests
Camera Partnership revenue - teabelly
Try on the safespeed website or in their forum. www.safespeed.org.uk I have a sneaky feeling they were successful in getting data from a few of the partnerships.
teabelly
speed camera question - novice_on_cars

I was on the Moterway around or above the speed limit and this car comes up from behind very fast and cuts infront of me and at the same time the speed camera flashes twice.

I think we both in the area where the speed camera marking on the road are, but wondering if the 2 flash mean we both get a fine and point or is it flashing twice to work out the speed??
speed camera question - Doc
The camera flashes twice to compute the speed from the road markings.
Any number of vehicles can be recorded between the two exposures.

speed camera question - Doc
See: www.stvincent.ac.uk/Resources/Physics/Speed/road/s...l

speed camera question - smokie
The picture highlights which car triggered the camera. So if you were definitely within the limit then nothing should happen.

Watch for this thread moving to the Speed Camera thread shortly.
speed camera question - Armitage Shanks {p}
Also watch the post for 14 to 15 days after the date of the event - in case you get an envelope with a NIP in it!
M42 Active Traffic Management - ad
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the mandatory variable speed limits from Junction 3a to Junction 7 of the M42 come into force on 29th November.

www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/motorways/m42/a.../

Andrew
Caught 4 times in 1 min 37 secs - Wally Zebon
Found this nice little story in the Telegraph
Link here - tinyurl.com/brs3w

"The world's most hapless driver faces the loss of his licence and a huge fine after being flashed by the same speed camera four times in the space of one minute and 37 seconds.

Throughout his record-breaking run, the 40-year-old motorist had no idea that he was passing a speed trap. His bafflement at being repeatedly flashed led him to pass the spot again and again.

The driver, a Turk whose identity cannot be revealed under Swiss privacy laws, told police that he thought someone was trying to annoy him with a flashgun and wanted to check "what was going on".

It was a feat requiring both precision driving and "a little bit of stupidity", police said.

The driver's unwitting achievement was made possible by the location of two roundabouts, a short distance apart, on either side of the camera, which is in a 50kph (31mph) zone in the centre of the town of Kreuzlingen.

The BMW's initial pass was made at a relatively sedate 36.6mph, just enough to trigger a flash from the camera mounted on top of a traffic light, which was set permanently at amber as it was night and traffic was light.

The driver headed back and passed the light again at 39mph - flash! That prompted him to double back for a fresh look, this time at 47mph - flash! That led to one last run - flash! - at just under 42mph. A single offence normally brings a fine of £110.

Rolf Müller, the director of communications for the Thurgau police, said: "Usually, speed cameras are in a box on their own. He could not believe it was on top of a traffic light."

He conceded that even the famously sober Swiss-German police found the incident "maybe a little amusing".

However, they will prosecute the man for four separate speeding offences, plus failing to wear a seat belt."
Caught 4 times in 1 min 37 secs - Stuartli
There was a very similar story a few weeks back about a UK driver who did something very much on the same lines.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Caught 4 times in 1 min 37 secs - Aretas
I came across this a couple of years ago and think it deserves a wider audience:

Four youths from Canberra, Australia pulled off a trick of
breathtaking bravado in order to gain revenge on a mobile speed
camera van operating in the area recently. Three of the group approached the van and distracted the operator's attention by asking a series of questions about how the equipment worked and how many cars the operator could catch in a day. Meanwhile, the fourth musketeer sneaked to the front of the van and unscrewed its numberplate. After bidding the van operator goodbye, the friends returned home, fixed the number plate to their car and drove through the camera's radar at high speed - 17 times.

As a result, the automated billing system issued 17 speeding tickets to itself.
Caught 4 times in 1 min 37 secs - MichaelR
Actually they probably didn't:

www.snopes.com/autos/law/snaptrap.asp
Caught 4 times in 1 min 37 secs - Aretas
MichaelR
Thanks. I enjoyed the story anyway.
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - LHM
To the best of my knowledge, I can't recall ever seeing an officer of the law with a 'hairdryer' speed gun - or a mobile camera van - during the hours of darkness.

Does the technology not work at night, or is the call of doughnuts and coffee too strong....?

It could just be that I don't notice them because I always obey the speed limits at any time of day. Could be.
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - Vin {P}
Definitely works. They were outside my house at 8pm in winter about four years ago and stopped 20 cars in a couple of hours, iirc.

V
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - Vin {P}
Sorry, should stress that that was with a hairdryer. No idea about vans, though, as they need to photograph rather than stop. I guess that might be more of a problem at night.

V
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - cumfray1
>To the best of my knowledge, I can't recall ever seeing an >officer of the law with a 'hairdryer' speed gun - or a mobile >camera van - during the hours of darkness.

>Does the technology not work at night, or is the call of >doughnuts and coffee too strong....?

Several years ago I was caught by a traffic cop who was standing behind a bus shelter, hairdryer in hand, doing 40 in a 30 at 10.30pm in the dark in autumn. So yes they are out there.
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - Roly93
I would say that while van cameras still work at night, I would also have said that there must be severe constraints on the quality of the evidential photos they can take, as they are only based upon standard digital photography technology after all.
For this reason I would suspect this is why they dont tend to use them on the motorways at night in winter.
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - David Horn
Do you think putting on a fluorescent jacket and pointing an actual hairdryer at the cars zooming along the road near me would help slow them down?
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - NickS
I have seen a mobile van operating at 22.30 on the A14 on a Sunday night. They had an orange flashing light on top, but as there was hardly anything on the road, i couldnt help but think what a waste of resources it was! Why were they not out doing proper policework , instead of sitting, hoping somebody might just earn them £60!
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - romeo156
Two out of the three times I have been caught by the hair dryer have been at night.

Both times two coppers, good cop, bad cop routine.

Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - MoneyMart
Both times two coppers, good cop, bad cop routine.

Which was which ? ;-)
I have seen a mobile van operating.... Why were they not out doing proper policework...

Camera vans are usually manned by civvies who work for the "safety scamera partnership", rather than feds...
>>> Do you think putting on a fluorescent jacket and pointing an actual hairdryer at the cars zooming along the road near me would help slow them down?

no
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - cumfray1
>>> Do you think putting on a fluorescent jacket and pointing
an actual hairdryer at the cars zooming along the road near
me would help slow them down?
no

>>

It has been in the press in recent years of villagers using a white cap & a Hi-Viz jacket on a shop dummy holding a hairdryer & yes it has slowed traffic down, until word got round. But if you seen a Hi-Viz bod in the distance pointing something at you, would YOU take the chance?
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - SjB {P}
"would YOU take the chance?"

Taking a break from a long motorcycle ride at night, I pulled in to a layby to stretch my legs and munch a bar of choccie. Given the thirty limit that applied, I was amazed that every car came past nice and gently despite an empty road and the lateness of night.

It then dawned on me that I was in black leathers with fluorescent "Sam Browne" diagonal belt. I took the latter off and cars started to whizz past...
>>> Do you think putting on a fluorescent jacket and pointing an actual hairdryer at the cars zooming along the road near me would help slow them down?

"Impersonating a Police Officer" springs to mind for anyone stupid enough to actually do this... A serious crime, for which the punishment is rarely lenient.

Besides, I thought we'd already established in a previous post, that drivers were oblivious to anything not immediately in their path? ;-)
>>> But if you seen a Hi-Viz bod in the distance pointing something at you, would YOU take the chance?

Actually, this is an interesting one. In the village where I live, the police and parish council have teamed up with the local "i've got nothing better to do with my life OAP's" and setup a "community speed-watch" group.

For those that may not know, basically the local parish council funded the purchase of a police approved speed-gun. The local police train local volunteers to mount speed-traps. The "evidence" can't be used to prosecute, but the police send warning letters out to all those caught speeding by the grannies.

However, recently there was an uproar because some dip-stick grandad decided he would catch more motorists out if he hid behind a bus-stop and jumped out at the last minute with his "gun". Unfortunately he did this to a motorcyclist (who happened to be an off-duty copper!!!), who panic'd because someone had jumped out from behind a bus-stop pointing something at him, and who instinctively swerved out of the way and fell off his bike!

So, all in all, pointing things at motorists is irresponsible and foolish to say the least. (unless you happen to have an axe to grind!)
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - J Bonington Jagworth
"funded the purchase of a police approved speed-gun"

If it was an Lti 20-20, there are quite a few people who would be seriously interested in a copy of the instruction manual. Willing to pay, even...
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - Altea Ego
Been targetted and stopped by plod on a dark night in a rural village with a hair dryer. 41 mph in a 30 zone. I sweet talked my way out of it.
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
Been targetted and stopped by plod on a dark night in
a rural village with a hair dryer. 41 mph in a
30 zone. I sweet talked my way out of it.

Just out of curiosity, what did you say?
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - Dynamic Dave

Friend of mine used the excuse he was rushing to the 24 hour garage to get some petrol before it closed. Plod fell for it and all.

ps, this thread will move to the relevant speeding thread later.
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - Altea Ego

Said I was rushing to the pub to get a few down my neck before it closed and I might see him later on the way back if he was still there.
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - cockle {P}
Saw one being used two Sundays ago on southbound A130 between the A132 and A127 just before midnight.
It is a lovely spot and they use it at various times, lay-by set back from the carriageway about half a mile from the brow of a slight rise. The rise is just sufficient that you can't see them until you come over the brow but it isn't enough to slow you down coming up it. On that particular evening I only saw them when the headlights lit up a reflective square of the 'Battenberg' as I went past as the officer was standing on the other side of the car with the passenger door open nicely hiding his yellow jacket and resting his gun on the roof. Unlit section of NSL dual carriageway BTW. Luckily I was at work so was driving the van, in which I never speed, so was nicely on the limit.

Did wonder at the time whether the gun would really work at night on an unlit road, surely the only thing he could see to focus on would be the headlights and could you keep a steady aim while looking directly into someone's headlights, possibly on main beam?
Also thought that I'd read that the laser could be confused by bright light so would the reading be accurate enough to get a prosecution or were they just monitoring the traffic speed late at night for future reference/enforcement? The local 'boys' do like to wind their latest toys up on this particular stretch!
Mobile/hand-held speed cameras at night? - mountainkat
As far as I'm aware the photo-taking cameras used on motorways etc don't work well at night, this is an assumption based on the fact that North Wales police are currently running trials on a new nightime system

guess the handhelds will have you but chances of them been around at night are probably less because it need plods in a vehicle to follow/stop you.
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 39 - horatio
Can I have the latest understood position regarding the "pace statement" defence.

www.pepipoo.com/NewForums2/viewtopic.php?t=2846

pepipoo.com/NewForums2/viewtopic.php?p=67069#67069

This is a new one to me just read about it today, trying to help someone out.

Instead of completeng the NIP you attach a statement "not for use as evidence as you are yet to be cautioned for the offence under PACE"

How many people are doing this?

How many are being subsequently cautioned and then asked to complete NIP form - but doesn't the caution give a right to silence?

In general what's happening on this front?
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 39 - horatio
Anyone?
PACE statement - J Bonington Jagworth
I only know what it says on Pepipoo, but I get the impression that it throws quite a large spanner in the works. Anything that creates more paperwork helps put you to the bottom of the pile, I imagine.

I wish I'd known about it a few weeks ago, as it turns out that the scamera filming me on my bike was aiming at the front, and doesn't show my numberplate at all!
Video evidence - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm trying to obtain a copy of the video used to corroborate a recent speeding ticket and, of course, have been told that it will be presented in court if necessary. As the defendant, I'd quite like to see it before then, but in the meantime, the still picture they have provided is interesting, as the target area shown by the the crosshairs on the camera appears to be a bit of road under the X5 following me!

If you're interested, the pic is here: www.chessell.plus.com/stuff/scamera.jpg

Any comments, legal or otherwise, welcome. I have a parallel thread on Pepipoo, but the more information I can muster, the better!
Video evidence - pdc {P}
I am one of the case studies on Pepipoo.

The police destroyed the video evidence of my speeding on the M56 4 1/2 years ago. I received a call from the CPS rep the night before going to court stating that they would be happy to go for 3 points and £60, and warned it could be tougher if I put up a fight.

I was less up for throwing a spanner in the works back then and agreed. It was only when infront of the magistrate that I realised I could have got off, as the prosecutor stated that it was to my credit that I had turned up in court to admit the offence, as they had no other evidence, and as a result they would be happy with 3 points and a small fine.

They tricked me.

So go for it. Keep pushing them. If you can not be clearly identified in the video, then they have no evidence. Just don't admit to it if they offer you a deal. Go with the "I'm not sure, it could be me, but then again that's a common bike / set of leathers"
"under the X5 following me"

By which I mean: 'the X5 following someone who looks like me'. Hard to tell, really... :-)
Video evidence - bedfordrl
I was told that i could view the video if i contacted the ticket office but when i rang them they said "no you cannot" .
So the Crown Procecution Office was wrong and i will have to wait for Tuesday for a look.
"I was told"

In writing? If so, you should get back to them immediately!
==============================
Essex Police vehicles were caught on speed cameras more than 5,000 times in the first six months of 2005, a BBC Look East investigation has revealed.

During that time there are no recorded cases of Essex officers being disciplined for speeding offences.

In Suffolk and Beds, 19 officers had their licences endorsed with three penalty points and were fined £60.
===============================

more at news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4506470.stm