M62 - stevied
This is nothing to do with speed (after yesterday's thread!).

Just wondered if anyone else, like me, thinks that the M62 is the worst motorway for middle lane hoggers. Well, in the North and Midlands anyway, I don't venture south of the Midlands that often. I use the M6, M56 and M62 every week and it strikes me that the 62 is the worst. Particularly noticeable on a Sunday evening when it's empty. Taxi drivers particularly bad culprits.

Oh by the way if stillskint is reading this, then your delboyesque grin was accepted! : ) Not least because I love the word disingenous.
M62 - turbo11
Having not been on M62 recently i cant pass comment on that stretch of road,but i do find the M25 bad.In particular the western side.
M62 - stevied
I occasionally work at events in Herts and I have been in a traffic jam on the M25 at 11:30pm.... which I found difficult to comprehend!
M62 - mare
Never taken the M62, but the M4 is pretty bad for them, espeically east of Reading.

I use the nice empty lane 1!
M62 - mss1tw
A3 Painshill to Guilford Uni, prime undertaking potential most mornings - at a nice steady 60 while the middle lane gets more and more backed up! And woe betide anyone who enters the outside lane at < 85 mph...
M62 - trancer
Ok, when approching a middle lane hog, who moves all the way over to the right, passes them on the corrrect side, glares at the driver with a disapproving look and a shake of the head before passing back over to left lane?.
M62 - mss1tw
*Raises hand*

M62 - trancer
You are a much braver person than I to admit that in here 8-)
M62 - daveyjp
So it's not just me!

From my post on 19th October - Middle Lane Hoggers Thread

"I travel over the Pennines on the M62 once a week after 11pm and it's pretty quiet. From my experience of doing this journey for three years some of the worst middle lane hoggers are taxi drivers. They simply refuse to budge and I have seen them come up behind overtaking wagons and slam on rather than move out of the lane and overtake."
M62 - mss1tw
I show them my contempt while I can - when they cut me up on a roundabout, or do 40 in a 60 then 45 in a 30, I can't give them the full benefit of my opinion. ;-)

M62 - stevied
I have been known to do that. It's better than flashing madly, driving so close that you are nearly in their boot, and then swerving across them in a rage, which I have seen done! I don't glare, just do the maneouvre and, if feeling prickly, indicate left to show them what to do!
M62 - David Horn
Also had issues with taxi drivers on M62, one in particular decided he needed a junction while I was in lane 1 and he was in lane 3. Very impressive sideways swerve across all 3 lanes, only missed me because I leapt on the brakes.
M62 - Daedalus
Stevied,

I have the dubious pleasure of driving from Junction 23 west to Junction 19 every morning and then the reverse every evening. I even get to go around the M60 to junction 25!

Only yesterday when heading home I found a decorators van stuck in the middle lane doing 60mph, I am on a diesel conservation exercise at the moment so was only doing 65 myself, I gave him a quick flash and was rewarded as expected with no movement whatsoever. I speeded up to overtake and was greeted with the old two finger salute fag stuck between the fingers, god only knows what would have happened if he had dropped it. I just went back over into the nearside lane a bit quicker than maybe I should have done. By the time I was getting ready to hit the junction to the M62 about 2 miles further on he was still in the middle lane with the nearside empty. I wish I had got his phone number of the side of his van I could have made myself heard a bit better maybe.

But to answer your question, yes for some reason it does seem to have more than it's fair share of middle lane hoggers, but them most of them are taxi drivers heading to Manchester Airport so I get them on the M60 as well. And as an observation almost all are asian.

Bill
M62 - Smileyman
By time all drivers were regualarly retested for driving ... soon get rid of bad habits, and make the roads safer.

There are no 3 laned roads near me, but as I go twoards London the M2 becomes 3 then 4 laned - then we have people who sit in lane 3, not go back to lane 2.

But, to defend some motorist who do not use lane 1, some roads eg A406 from Redbridge to the A13 keep loosing lane 1 and so one has the choice of either constantly swapping between lane 1 and fighting to get back into lane 2, or sticking to lane 2. Poor road design here.
M62 - L'escargot
During 14 years of commuting between junctions 33 and 28 I didn't find an unusual (for a motorway) number of middle lane hoggers. What I did notice was the marked increase in traffic at peak times from 1989 to 2003. In 1989 I could drive at any speed I liked in the left hand lane most of the way. Also when leaving the M62 I could cross from the outer lane to the left hand lane (if necessary) reasonably close to my exit junction. By 2003 I was lucky if I could get up to 70 in the outside lane because of the congestion and I had to get into the left hand lane several miles before my exit junction for the manoeuvre to be safe.
--
L\'escargot.
M62 - PhilW
"some roads eg A406 from Redbridge to the A13 keep loosing lane 1 and so one has the choice of either constantly swapping between lane 1 and fighting to get back into lane 2, or sticking to lane 2. Poor road design here."

If I understand you correctly, the same occurs with the crawler lanes on northern part of the M25 which seem to be largely ignored by "crawlers" because at the end of them they have to fight their way back into lane 1 which is often solid with traffic. Problem would be solved if, at its end, the crawler lane continued as lane 1 and the outside lane "faded" into lane 3. This is how it's done in France and seems to work - the crawlers all seem to use the crawler lane because they just continue along it at the end and don't have to "rejoin carriageway"
Phil
M62 - NowWheels
Phil is right about crawler lanes. It sems to be a generic problem with them -- my Mum, for example, is a slow driver who ought to use them but won't, because she finds it too hard to get back in again.

Phil's suggestion would solve the problem -- but Phil, don't tell people that's how it's done in France. Sadly, they ain't everyone's favourite role model :(
M62 - mare
If I understand you correctly, the same occurs with the crawler
lanes on northern part of the M25 which seem to be
largely ignored by "crawlers" because at the end of them they
have to fight their way back into lane 1 which is
often solid with traffic. Problem would be solved if, at its
end, the crawler lane continued as lane 1 and the outside
lane "faded" into lane 3. This is how it's done in
France and seems to work - the crawlers all seem to
use the crawler lane because they just continue along it at
the end and don't have to "rejoin carriageway"
Phil

I think i.e. i can't remember but i think that this is the arrangement eastbound M4 J19 - 18 Bristol to Bath. Sensible if it is!