Driverless cars - SjB {P}
Brings a whole new meaning to "I didn't see you" if the car doesn't even have a driver on board!

A great achievement reported here and elsewhere but this article gives the best picture of the car (a converted Toureg)found so far: www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/09/tech/main927913...l
Driverless cars - SjB {P}
More pictures: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4326246.stm
Driverless cars - Sofa Spud
I read that the US military want to have a significant proportion of its vehicles with an autonomous driveless capability. The reason given was to help foil ambushes. I suppose if one has a convoy where some vehicles are driverless, maybe with dummies in the cabs, it dilutes the effectiveness of suicide bombers.

Also, with tanks and other armoured vehicles, one could have triple mode vehicles that could be driven, be remotely controlled from another tank or operate autonomously.

Cheers, SS
Driverless cars - pmh
I am waiting for the day when one of these collects an NIP.

What does the registered owner do next?????
--

pmh (was peter)

Driverless cars - Avant
Oh - that's what a "driverless car" is. When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the stately Daimler that I used to see often around Farnham as a child in the 50s and 60s, driven apparently by no-one - in fact a colonel's widow of about 4 ft 10 in, peering invisibly through the steering wheel.

Presumably the same effect was common with short drivers of those upright, swaying, sit-up-and beg Ford Anglias (1940s) and Populars (1950s).