Main Dealer Rip Off - Woody
We have a 2.5 year old Honda CRV which has been flawless until recently developing a severe shake on the front end/steering under heavy braking. Quite clearly the discs were warped.

I phoned the Honda franchise, newly opened near me and asked the price for front discs & pads, fitted? Answer was £220. A bit steep, so I said I would leave it (and go to a private garage).

"You may be able to claim under warranty" they said. "What for brake wear?" I replied. "How do you know that's the problem? Worth a try sir". I booked it in.

Wife dropped the car in. One hour later I get a call: "It's the front discs and pads sir, need replacing, cost £280. Also a shake at the back sir, could be a problem there as well. "Warranty job?" I asked. "No sir not for brakes".

Great, I thought, waste of time that was. Said my wife would come and collect the car again.

They presented a bill for £41.12 for Labour!

Wife refused to pay, they refused to release car. She had to pay up to go home and pick up the kids. Phoned me in tears.

Had the work done privately. Discs warped, pads fine, rear all fine, £110.

I want my £41.12 back - any ideas how best to do it?

p.s. Have had Hondas for many years and am a big fan, but not any more. Hello Toyota.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Blue {P}
Speak to Honda UK Customer Services, explain how you feel robbed by the new dealership and that you would like their input on the matter and see what they say. Hopefully they'll be helpful, if not, then like you say, off to Toyota.

I'd have to say that this is unusual though, most Honda dealers are pretty good. Do let us know how you get on though.

Blue
Main Dealer Rip Off - Aprilia
The brakes wouldn't be covered by warranty so any diagnostics would be chargable. I guess this amounts to 0.5 hours labour - if they did a road test and then took the wheels off to inspect the discs then this is reasonable. I don't regard this as a rip-off. Certainly if someone came to me and asked me to diagnose a fault I would expect to be paid for it.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Blue {P}
I could be wrong, but IIRC Honda DO cover brake discs against warping under warranty.

Blue
Main Dealer Rip Off - machika
Firstly the problem was more or less identified before the car was taken in, and how long would it have taken to remove two wheels and check the discs? Worst of all, after suggesting it might be covered under warranty, the dealer should have confirmed that before the car was looked at. Personally, I would have checked that before taking the car in.

I also don't see why the brake discs wouldn't be covered under warranty. I had the front brake discs of a ZX replaced in the second year of ownership, from new, and they were covered by the warranty.
Main Dealer Rip Off - blue_haddock
Generally Toyota policy is to skim discs once to try to remove the warping, if that fails they are replaced. This is for cars that are still within the warranty period providing it is not evident that the brakes have been misused.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Civic8
Apart from what Aprilia said,toyota will not replace warped discs.they may skim them (which is going to weaken them due to being made thinner)which means as soon as you hard brake in a puddle/flood they distort even faster ie sudden cooling of disc distorts
--
Steve
Main Dealer Rip Off - Adam {P}
But Blue_Haddock used to work for Toyota.
But Blue_Haddock used to work for Toyota.

Not Honda,And I was not saying Blue_Haddock was incorrect,only the method was wrong.ie discs should be replaced when distorted.rather than skimmed
--
Steve
Main Dealer Rip Off - Adam {P}
Sorry Steve, I never read the thread properly. I'm tired and am going to bed right after I've said;

I agree though - I'm not happy about the idea of skimming discs either.

discs should be replaced when distorted.rather than skimmed

Yes they SHOULD be replaced but skimming costs the dealer nothing apart from time - a lot cheaper than a pair of new discs!
Main Dealer Rip Off - Altea Ego
Surely its:

Skimming disks takes longer, so more warranty cost (labour) can be reclaimed from the manufacturer?
Possibly RF - also the skim machine takes a couple of minutes to set up and then can pretty much be left to do it's own thing, whilst it's doing this the tech can be working on another vehicle which is also being charged labour for - two jobs done at the same time and both charged for!
Machika gets the jist of it, spot on.

I had already diagnosed the problem and remedy.

I was duped into "at least giving it a try" to get work done under warranty.

They then told me the flippin' obvious and charged £41 for the privelege.

It's a rip off alright and I firmly believe that I would have had a bill nearer £500 as they suggested the back discs may be a problem as well........

No better than the tyre and exhaust places where you ask for one tyre and put the (unused) spare on, to be told after a 'routine' inspection that you need 4 new tyres, pads, shoes, your exhaust is holed and two shocks are leaking.

Cowboys abound in the motor industry at every level, and I will certainly be telling Honda UK Customer Services about this particular ranch tomorrow.

I will let you know the outcome.

Woody.
A bit of logic needs to be applied here. If the warranty covers brakes then our man should not have been charged and should have had the whole problem fixed FOC.

If the warranty doesn't cover brakes then the dealer is perfectly correct to charge. He went to the dealer expecting them to do some work (i.e. investigate brake judder) and if brakes are not a warranty item then it seems reasonable that the dealer should make a charge for the time spent.

If the problem had already been diagnosed then the best course of action would have been a phone call to the dealer asking if this problem would be covered under warranty.
Main Dealer Rip Off - trancer
As I understand it the dealer led him to believe that he could get the brakes repaired under warranty, then after getting the car in, stated the obvious "brakes not covered" and here is our bill for telling you what we both already knew.

The dealer didn't break any laws and of course no-one expects to work for free, but they shouldn't have lured him in under the pretense of free warranty work.

Write off the £40 as experience and yet another reason to go with your first instinct.
Aprilia doesn't seem to get the point, but others have stated it perfectly.

I didn't need a diagnosis of the blindingly obvious.

I was duped into taking the car in and charged for unnecessary 'labour' on the basis of a 'possible warranty claim' that was never going to be.

If Aprilia think's that is acceptable then I must assume he/she owns a main dealership somewhere.

Anyway, Honda Customer Services took a dim view of such underhand practice and are seeking re-imbursement from the dealer. I also want £70 "labour" for the complete waste of an hour's time they put my wife through. WHEN I get it, I will give the £70 to charity (NSPCC).

Woody
Glad to hear the good news Woody. I hope all goes to plan.

I had an experience with Citroen last year, where I reported uneven wear on the rear tyres, which was caused by a known problem with the rear axle beam. The dealer said that Citroen wouldn't consider a claim on a car with over 20K miles, even though it was still within warranty. A phone call to Citroen UK did get them moving in the end.
Main Dealer Rip Off - smokie
Woody - you asked for an opinion and were lucky to get a few, including Aprilia's. In my experience, Aprilia is one of the most useful and reliable contributors to the BR, particularly on technical matters, and has simply stated the other side of the discussion, in a reasoned way. And yes, he does work (or has worked) in the industry.

Just because you don't hear the answer you want there is no need to go on the offensive.

smokie, BR Moderator
It explains why so many, including me, are scared stiff of main dealers.

We bought the Honda CRV after suffering for 2 years with a Freelander TD4 and a dealer who seemed to think it their right to milk customers of money in return for a shoddy third rate product supplied with surly disrespect and a helping of arrogance. A 24,000 mile service coming in at £550 was the final straw.

Owning a Honda has been a pleasant experience until now, but this episode shows they are all at it.

The 3 year warranty is not progress. It just gives the dealer licence to screw customers for longer.

The answer must be to buy a 3 year old car and have it looked after by a competent private mechanic.

I also know for a fact that a lack of a main dealer service history does not effect the real value of a trade in - because it will have a full history within days of arrival. Know what I mean :)
>>It explains why so many, including me, are scared stiff of main dealers.

if the question had have been asked (when taking motor in)or phoning to find out before hand,whether it was a warranty job in the first place.suspect this thread may not have been made
--
Steve
Yes, the question should have been asked but, equally, the dealer should have checked and provided the answer, having suggested it might be a warranty item, before taking the car in.

It is a what I now do, whenever I have a car covered by a warranty, before I agree to any work being undertaken. However, I have taken in cars with a perceived problem, after they have been serviced, and I don't expect to be charged every time my car is taken in to be checked if it has been left with a problem or not. It happened recently with our C5, when the condensation from the air con began leaking out from sundry places underneath the car, where it had never appeared before. This was just after the air con had been serviced.
>>the dealer should have checked and provided the answer,

dealer does not have to do this,its the car owners responsability to check whether its under warranty-ie ask,should be explained in terms and conditions of warranty.Not assumed
--
Steve
I am no friend of main dealers. IMHO most of them charge the customer too much and pay the technician too little (and often provide the minimum of staff training).

However.... I have been on the other side of the fence. Customer comes in and says his brake disks are warped and he gets judder on braking. Are you sure, I ask? Yes, says customer.

I take car out on to the road and sure enough there is judder on braking, but pedal doesn't feel too bad. I get car on ramps and pull the wheels off. Disks don't look too bad, but I find a couple of split/soft suspension rubbers, worn ball joint etc etc. If I had a pound for every faulty 'diagnosis' from a customer then I'd be retired by now.

If you were so sure of warped discs then why not ring the dealer and ask if warped discs were covered under warranty? That would save a trip and a lot of time.

When going into any garage, main dealer or otherwise, in-warranty or otherwise, then always ask if there is likely to be a charge and preferably get it in writing.

BTW - if you think main dealers are expensive my elderly uncle had a blocked drain cleared last week. Plumber spent two hours at the job and charged £550+VAT; another plumber quoted over £600 - makes main dealers look like a charity!
Gordon Bennett!

I was certain it was brake discs required and was told that the discs might well be covered under the warranty. That is the sole reason I took it in.

They said bring it in "because you have nothing to loose".

I lost £41, could have lost £280 (or £170 excess over competent mechanics charge) or, as I firmly belive would have happened, been charged nearer £500 for front and back.

Justifying main dealer cons by saying plumbers and drain cleaners are worse is (a) dodgy maths if you have ever owned a Land Rover and (b) comparing mugging to being held at gun point - neither are remotely justified.

Will let you know the final outcome.
Justifying main dealer cons by saying plumbers and drain cleaners are
worse is (a) dodgy maths if you have ever owned a
Land Rover and (b) comparing mugging to being held at gun
point - neither are remotely justified.
Will let you know the final outcome.

I wasn't justifying anything really - I'm just totally gobsmacked at the amount plumbers charged these days and feel sorry for my uncle who is not particularly well off. My next door neighbour is/was a plumber and has just retired at the age of about 45 and bought a country property with a couple of horses for his kids! Welcome to the 'knowledge economy'...
I wasn't justifying anything really - I'm just totally gobsmacked at
the amount plumbers charged these days and feel sorry for my
uncle who is not particularly well off. My next door
neighbour is/was a plumber and has just retired at the age
of about 45 and bought a country property with a couple
of horses for his kids! Welcome to the 'knowledge economy'...

Your uncle should have asked for a quote. The amount charged was totally unjustified.

Two years ago the labour charge for our shower room/toilet to be totally refurbished and hall tiled, was around £1000. The plumber who did it was known to us but we still asked for a quote before agreeing the work.
Your uncle should have asked for a quote. The amount
charged was totally unjustified.
Two years ago the labour charge for our shower room/toilet to
be totally refurbished and hall tiled, was around £1000. The
plumber who did it was known to us but we still
asked for a quote before agreeing the work.

He got three quotes - they all wanted around this price. He lives in a very rural area with a fair population of affluent older folk. The prices charged by local tradespeople are astonishing.

He got three quotes - they all wanted around this price.
He lives in a very rural area with a fair
population of affluent older folk. The prices charged by local
tradespeople are astonishing.

Isn't there a regulatory body that deals with extortionate charges like this?
Main Dealer Rip Off - Number_Cruncher
>>If I had a pound for every faulty 'diagnosis' from a customer then I'd be retired by now.

I am in absolute agreement with this point. I think that customers should always be listened to, but not necessarily believed or trusted; they can be bigger sharks than the dealers and mechanics they so often whinge about.

Some customers do know what they are talking about, but in my experience, not many!

Number_Cruncher
>>If I had a pound for every faulty 'diagnosis' from a
customer then I'd be retired by now.
I am in absolute agreement with this point. I think
that customers should always be listened to, but not necessarily believed
or trusted; they can be bigger sharks than the dealers and
mechanics they so often whinge about.
Some customers do know what they are talking about, but in
my experience, not many!
Number_Cruncher

The other thing that always amused me when we had the garage was the number of customers who didn't know what was wrong with their car, but knew it wouldn't cost much to fix!
Honda Lose a Customer - Woody
A month on this issue is still not resolved.

I have phoned Honda UK's "Customer Services" (ho, ho) SIX times now and each time they agree it is shocking and arrange for the dealer to contact me and put things right. They simply don't ring.

I have totally lost faith in Honda, a manufacturer I really thought was a cut above most of the others, but alas they are just the same.

As soon as Toyota stretch the RAV4 a bit they have a new customer.

deleted of deleted, you are a disgrace. {No naming - shaming. Thankyou. DD}

Woody

Honda Lose a Customer - grn
Woody,

Could be worth visiting the dealer and ask for the dealer principal failing that a word in the ear of trading standards wouldn't go a miss.

Hope it works out for you.

Honda Lose a Customer - Bill Payer
If you search there will be a 'rip-off' story for practically every manufacturer somewhere in these forums. For example, I know you're also considering Audi - a few wks ago somebody on here was fuming about paying £157 for an oil change on an A4. Yet he didn't ask the price - just booked it in and then complained later.

I had a problem with the way our Jazz was handed over and I complained about it when Honda did a customer satisfaction survey. I got an unbelievably grovelling apology from the dealer, and a free 1st year service.

I'm sure that if you get to the right person, either at the dealer, or at Honda, then they'll say it's all a terrible mistake and give you your money back. 'Wife in tears' would be a useful argument.
Honda Lose a Customer - Roly93
If you search there will be a 'rip-off' story for practically
every manufacturer somewhere in these forums. For example, I know
you're also considering Audi - a few wks ago somebody on
here was fuming about paying £157 for an oil change on
an A4.

Christ ! I wish I could get an oil-change done on my A4 for £157 !!
Even after shopping around the best I could do is £256, and I had to drive 90 miles for this !
Honda Lose a Customer - quizman
Christ ! I wish I could get an oil-change done on my A4 for £157 !!
Even after shopping around the best I could do is £256, and I had to drive 90 miles for this !

4 litres of Castrol SLX11 £32, filter £ 5.18 + VAT = £43.68. So this makes the labour £212 32 just to change the oil.

Yes this is a main dealer rip off.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Roly93
This is an interesting scam that seems to be propogating throughout the franchised dealer world at the moment.
During its second service I asked Ford to look at a minor idling problem on my wifes 2 year old Focus. They wanted an hours labour up-front before they would do this, and to be honest I'm not sure if this was refundable even if they found a defect in the car.

It would seem to me that the car companies are trying to save on warranty costs, when dealeres spend time working on cars with no fault found, and still claim labour costs under warranty back from them perhaps ?

What a synical business world we live in today !
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - Woody
To recap, phoned local Honda dealer because Honda CRV needed new discs and pads on front (judder, judder). Price £230. Said no, they said bring it in and try warranty claim "you have nothing to loose". Took it in, surprise surprise needs discs and pads, price now £280 and "back might need doing as well" ho hum. Said no, got charged £41.16 for labour!

After seven phone calls to Honda UK over two months and repeated soothing noises and promises of a call, I have now reached the following juncture:

Honda Customer Services tell me they can not be held responsible for their franchised dealers (I kid you not). I asked them if the 50 feet long HONDA sign across the front of this one might concern them as to what is going on within?

The Dealer's General Manager called me on Friday, heard my story (for the first time) and said he would investigate. Phoned me back today, said both his staff members I spoke to tell him they quoted me the labour charge up front. - Absolute lies and quite scanadalous.

He tells me it is "my word against theirs" so pink fluffy dice the guy who has spent over £50K on Hondas in the last 10 years then.

Just spoke to trading standards who were interested but not dynamic by any means. They told me to take the matter to the Small Claims Court.

I would welcome any thoughts on that as a next step and any experience, good or bad you can share with me?

Woody.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - cheddar
>> He tells me it is "my word against theirs" >>

I know it is not what you want to hear however he is right, nevertheless why not take a different approach, perhaps suggest that you are not expecting a refund of your 41 quid however a credit note to that value would suffice redeemable against any future service or repair. I think you will find that they are more readily able to write a letter to this effect than put their hand in the till. You then have the option to have this amount deducted off your next service or perhaps have a monir repair done which may cost very little more than the value of the credit note. Additionally in the dealers eyes this may well be percived as repairing the relationship to the extent that you continue to use their services hence given them an extra incentive to agree.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - artful dodger {P}
I would remind the dealers general manager that for every satisfied customer they usually tell 2 or 3 people. The best sort of advertising for his business.

For every dissatisfied customer, they tell at least 20 people. This is the worst advertising for his service business.

When you left the vehicle for checking did you have to sign a form and were you given a copy. It would have stated if there was going to be a charge. Get them to prove what they said was confirmed in writing.

Stress to the general manager that this will be the last time you will ever use his servicing, let alone buy a Honda due to their short sighted attitude.

I still cannot believe Honda's attitude as what they spend on advertising to obtain customers for their cars is vast, yet they are prepared to loose a customer for less than £50.00!

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Spot on Artful Dodger.

Honda send me, on a regular basis thick brochures, CDs, DVDs and Customer Surveys telling me or asking me how wonderful they are, yet are prepared to loose a loyal customer (and they will) over £41.

As far as telling 20 people about it, that is my daily target, even before the ****** Honda of ******* rippedmeoff .com site is up and running.

Everyone I have told today has been amazed, appalled but not necessarily surprised at Main Dealer attitudes. Honda is seen as a quality brand though, so we really should expect better.

Consolation is there won't be main dealers in 5 or 10 years time, just test drive centres for Amazon, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys and Direct Line cars.com.

The sooner the better.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - artful dodger {P}
Woody

Why not direct both the general manager and Honda to this web page, just to show how their poor judgement is being discussed on an open forum. You can show how you as one irrate customer is venting his anger over a bad business practice. It might give them a shock, enough to get them to change their minds.

I do not dissagree with your thoughs on changes to main dealers. It is interesting to note that Mercedes are absorbing all sales and servicing into the company - franchises are going. Personally I think this is a wise move for the manufacturers of expensive cars. However for the mass market I think it will be a sales free for all to maximise quantity, with possibly manufacturers providing service facilities.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - Fullchat
I refer to my previous post.

SHMBO's Pegeuot 406 has had the Airbag warning light flashing for sometime now. Having tried all the usual connections etc to no avail I had to bite the bullet and book it in at the local dealer for a tech test.
I was forwarned that the cost for the test alone was £69.33 inc VAT as they charged by the hour.
Now to plug in a computer and have a look at the readout cannot take more than 15 mins, can it?
Anyway duly went to collect the car. " Its your disarming switch. We will have to order one. The total price is £92 something. Shall I book you in sir?"
"Is that including the tech test?"
"No thats on top of the tech test"
"So how much is the switch?"
"£23.. and there is another hours labour"

So thats £161 to diagnose a faulty switch that takes a further 5mins to pull out of the centre console and swop for a new one.

Needless to say I am fitting it myself. But thats not just making a profit thats Robbery!!! ( Not strictly by the definition DVD). Not only that I am paying VAT to the governmet on Robbery!!

And I did fit it in 5 mins and it cured the problem.

Fullchat
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - smokie
So the tech test @ £69 probably saved you a lot more money & time than it cost as it identified the problem immediately, where you might have been swapping parts forever before you found the fault.

That's the way I'd have looked at it, although my initial instinct would be the same as yours...
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - Aprilia
Couple of points:

A lot of Jap cars (esp those designed as 'world cars' and sold outside of Europe) have ECU's that can produce a 'flash code' for engine, airbag, ABS etc. Dealers don't them because they like you to be tied to their diagnostic kit.

Note also that its a bit naive to think that dealers are interested in fixing cars. They are interested in making money and their staff are 'incentivised' to do such. E.g. the parts or service manager gets, say, £20k basic and maybe a car - then another £10-15k for meeting targets. You come through the door and he wants to extract money from you to meet his target. He is not too bothered if 3 years time you might not want to buy the brand again.

I have been in the trade a while and get very very nervous stepping onto main dealer premises - I know the tricks they can pull. The split wiper rubber is the tip of the iceberg. Never leave your car with a main dealer unless you know exactly what they are going to be charging and with strict instructions to seek authorisation before starting any additional work.
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - Fullchat
You're absolutely right on that score although I had a suspicion that might have been the cause. Should have got one from the scrappie first for a couple of quid but hey ho.

Now if I had just gone in and said "my airbag light needs fixing" and they had one in stock would they have charged me £161 for the priviledge?

AND surely now plugging a car into a computer is mandatory for most diagnosis in that department, its called progress. So why do the customers get walloped for the dealer using one?

Fullchat
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - madf
Charging for computer diagnostics?

When your PC has software failures do you ring Microsoft?

When your mobile phone fails, do you get Nokia to fix it?

It's total and utter Castor and Pollux and designed to extract money from customers.

ECU tests via a computer should be a 15 minute/no skills/read a screen job.

No wonder consumers complain more about cars than any other product..

madf
Main Dealer Rip Off - Update - smokie
Microsoft and Nokia won't talk to you for free if you don't have a warranty, or pay a maintenance contract.

I believe garages charge too much per hour, but then they have overheads to cover.

However I wouldn't expect them to give away their "intellectual property" and manpower for free.
To recap, phoned local Honda dealer because Honda CRV needed new discs and pads on front (judder, judder). Price £230. Said no, they said bring it in and try warranty claim "you have nothing to loose". Took it in, surprise surprise needs discs and pads, price now £280 and "back might need doing as well" ho hum. Said no, got charged £41.16 for labour!

Dealer and Honda Customer Relations worse than useless and dealer falsely claimed we were told up front on the phone and on dropping in the vehicle there would be an inspection charge - complete lies.

Finally got a reply to a formal written complaint from Honda UK today after a 4 week wait and they have given me a £50 credit against a service or other goods. No apology, just stating that the case cannot be proven and they offer simply goodwill. Nothing suggests they won't rip off the next mug they lure in on false pretences.

Better than nowt and I will use it against the Honda's service in April (2 years 11 months into warranty, in case anything needs doing). After that I will use a private mechanic before changing the CRV at 50K and sorry Honda, after many happy years of owning your bikes and cars, I will not be buying from you again.

Woody.