money saving tips wanted - Steptoe
Whilst creosoting the shed this afternoon with waste engine oil ( its due to statements like this that I need a proxy, but the creosote substitute they sell nowadays is £5.99 a gallon! ) ) it occurred to me that, back roomers being by and large a thrifty bunch, we may be able to share a few other money saving tips, not necessarily motoring related, as these have been fairly well covered elsewhere in the forums.

A couple more:

Work for a firm that issues corporate clothing; with care sufficient spares can be accumulated to last for some years after leaving that employment.

Go on timeshare inspection trips for your foreign holidays, provided you are strong willed enough not to buy.

Lunch on the free samples offered at the delicatessen counter at your local supermarket.
money saving tips wanted - Rover25
Agricultural/ farm suppliers are often a good source of bargains for the thrifty back roomer.
There is one local to me and I use them for timber, oil, batteries (inc car batteries) and hardware. They also sell workwear, workshop consumables and pet supplies at the lowest prices in my area.I recently got creosote from them at much less than £5.99 a gallon !
money saving tips wanted - madf
for some things plan ahead.
I left a search on ebay for a particular set of running shoes to replace the ones I have. Brand new: half shop price saved £40 .. took 3 months. Saved searches email you details when found.
madf
money saving tips wanted - smokie
I'm going to lock this thread for now as this is a motoring forum, and this is in danger of being too general.

However there is a fantastic forum on the moneysavingexpert web site. tinyurl.com/5zzgx - you may need to register.

smokie, BR Moderator