Solar/wind powered "slow" sign - L'escargot
The other day I was instructed to slow down by what I assume was a solar and wind powered sign that lit up as I approached it. The sign had what appeared to be a solar panel (for bright days) attached to the post with a wind powered turbine (for windy days/nights) at the top. I was so intrigued by these attachments that I forgot all about slowing down!
--
L\'escargot.
Solar/wind powered "slow" sign - Civic8
Loads around my area,though some get vandalised if left in the same place too long.But you dont often see anyone slow down after they see what speed they are going. They also dont seem that accurate to me?
--
Steve
Solar/wind powered "slow" sign - scotty
There's couple of these on the approach to Carlisle. They're in a national speed limit zone, so the limit is 60. They signal "slow down" well under that limit and the nannying approach being taken always irritates me.
Solar/wind powered "slow" sign - buzbee
Interesting how attitudes differ. I always slow down for them.

I would much rather have these than the Gatso one speed fits all times of day and night and traffic and weather conditions, variety. 21st century electronics applied by 18th century personnel, as far as I am concerned.

I had a friend who was interested in me helping him make one for his village that was having problems (some time ago now). There is no reason why they should not be accurate to about 1% with fairly simple electronics.

The microwave part is spec'ed to better than 1% and speed produces a frequency related to that, and it is not difficult to calculate it.
Solar/wind powered "slow" sign - martint123
There seem to be a fair number near rural schools in East Yorks and seem to be time controlled as well - off during the holidays and weekends - intelligent thinking for once.
Solar/wind powered "slow" sign - buzbee
'Mine' was just to display speed.

The ones in error could be reading some other vehicle, not you. Some veicles are more reflective than others, by a large margin.