1995 Astra - Dashboard lights - dipsomaniac
Dashboard lights are fine when main exterior lights are off. When I swicth the exterior lights on the dashboard lights go out. Can anyone please help?
1995 Astra - Dashboard lights - Steptoe
Dashboard lights are usually dimmed at night as opposed to daytime driving so fed through a resistor when vehicle lights are switched on. This resistor ( or soldered joints ) has probably failed, sorry I can't be specific on location in an Astra.
Thanks for your help, sound like it could be the resistor. I have only just acquired the car for my mum and haven't got a manual. I will have a look around for the resistor/soldered joints.
1995 Astra - Dashboard lights - Number_Cruncher
You'll find the variable resistor directly below the light switch.

Number_Cruncher
1995 Astra - Dashboard lights - r3d_dwarf
it might so damn odvious but have you checked that the dimming control switch located lower right hand side of the steering wheel is set to LOW?? as it would give the impression that if it is on low that you will have darkness sorry to insult your inteligence ( sorry spelling ) but sometimes its the odvious that gets over looked.
gary
I have now! It was the dimming switch and don't I feel dim. Thanks for all your replies - very much appreciated.