Stag: indicators no longer flash - FrankSm
Hi folks

The indicators on my '73 Stag no longer flash - they just come on and stay on. The system is wired (by standard) such that there is one 2-pin flasher in between the power supply and the flash switch, and then the flasher switch activates either left or right. The problem occurs both on left/right. The emergency flasher is a separate circuit and that works fine.

I've checked all the bulbs and they are fine & fairly new; the connections look good. The fuses (shared with side-lamps) are fine and connections are good there.

I have replaced the flasher unit, and the symptoms persist. In fact, I hooked the flasher unit up to a pair of 21w bulbs and connected to a 12v supply - worked fine, so it's not the flasher unit itself at fault.

Any ideas ? Has to be something in common with both left and right circuits, but all looks fine although I haven't taken the switch apart.

The only other problem with the car is that the alternator dash-light has been lighting up recently when the engine is running (and not lighting up before cranking) - I have a new alternator on the way, just haven't received it yet. If the alternator is only partially charging the battery, and the battery is therefore weak does that manifest itself in a non-flashing flasher (amongst other things) ?

Cheers

Frank

Frank Smyth
\'95 Vauxhall Omega CDX 2.5TD
\'96 Mazda MX5 1.8 turbo
Stag: indicators no longer flash - spikeyhead {p}
If its an old style flasher unit that works on a bimetallic strip being heated, then if there's not enough voltage on it then I guess its possible that it won't flash or will only flash slowly.

When the engine's running then a good alternator will be giving out about 13.8V. With the engine not running or a disconnected alternator then you'll only get 12V. This sshould still be anough to run the flkasher unit.

However if you've also got a cell down on the battery, or if the alternator that's broken is drawing a lot of current then its possible that the flasher unit won't flash. All this is conjecture based on solid principles but without having a close look its difficult to really know what's going on. Do you have a multimeter in order to measure some voltages at the flasher unit? They can be had cheaply form Maplins and will make diagnosis a lot easier.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
Stag: indicators no longer flash - elekie&a/c doctor
These old bi-meatal Lucas flasher units are very voltage conscious.If there is a low voltage/alternator charge problem then the indicators will not flash.Once the voltage problem is sorted you can very easily upgrade the system to an electronic flasher unit that is not so voltage sensitive,& thus will give a regular flash even with the headlights switched on.
Stag: indicators no longer flash - FrankSm
I bought a standard replacement flasher unit from Halfords - it's a bimetallic strip as you say. That's the one I wired up "on the bench" as a test when I saw that it wasn't solving the problem.

Where can one buy an electronic unit ? Should be simple to wire up if all it needs are extra 12v and negative supplies in order to run.

I'll let the battery charge tonight and see if it's any better in the morning - I'm taking the car to a show on Sunday anyway so need to ensure there's enough battery juice to get me there and back ;)

Battery itself is fine, nice level of fluids inside. Started the car no problem after a 2-week sit while I was away on holiday.

Cheers for the ideas !
Stag: indicators no longer flash - elekie&a/c doctor
Buy a standard 3-pin electronic flasher unit that is fitted to a lot of Fords or Vauxhalls and transfer the wires as follows;The green ignition supply will be the terminal marked 49;The green/brown or purple will be the 49a.Make up a short piece of wire & terminals & earth pin 31 of new unit.It's that easy!!