Mondeo - remote locking - Waino
The remote control key to my 1997 Mondeo Ghia hasn't had the battery changed since new. I imagined that the first sign of battery failure would be a gradual decrease in the range at which it would operate the lock. However, on Sunday, it suddenly stopped working - though the key will operate the lock/alarm as usual when used manually in the lock.
Any ideas what the normal life of a key battery might be?
Would it be usual for the battery to pack up suddenly? (Sunday was an incredibly hot day)
Could it be something other than the battery?
Are replacement batteries particularly special? The manual advises to see a Ford dealer - but is that so that he can charge £20 for a £2 battery.

Many thanks.
Mondeo - remote locking - NARU
Should be easy to change yourself (I did one of the infra-red ones, but yours might be radio).

If you do it quickly it might have kept the codes aligned. If not, you'll find instructions at

www.fordmondeo.org/ and www.mirez.co.uk/Common.htm
Mondeo - remote locking - Waino
Following up on this question - I took the remote control key to the battery stall [for watches, phones etc] on Bury market. The chap checked that I had a spare car key just in case there was a problem with the programme, then changed the batteries. The old batteries, when tested, were considerably below spec (well, they were nearly 8 years old). So, the batteries were the problem and the cost for the 2 replacements was £5.