Getting 13 months MOT - Chad.R
I knew that you could present your car for a MOT, a calender month prior to the expiry date and have the new MOT run for 12 months from that expiry date (assuming you present the current MOT and make the request). Therefore you could have effectively have valid MOT(s) for 13 months.

However, if you have more than a calender month to run, you don't get ANY "grace", the new MOT will simply run from the test date.

I would have expected the VOSA to give you a similar grace period as above i.e. a month, 4 weeks or whatever - I wouldn't expect any longer than 1 month though.

What's the thinking behind that rule?

Getting 13 months MOT - Rishab C
In the good old days that rule was made, people had a completely different mindset about such regulations. People seemed to have better things to do than drown under a mailbox full of pages of text and constantly changing regulations and ammendments. I reckon if I read all of my mail, email and periodicals, it would be impossible to read them at the rate they are recieved most go in the bin. You get your bills, and they're 4 sides of A4 each with a leaflet of microscopic revised terms and conditions, same with MOT, V5, bills, insurance, mortgage etc.. etc..
Getting 13 months MOT - Dwight Van Driver
... and inducement to get the MOT done before the old one expires.

DVD
Getting 13 months MOT - doctorchris
I think the idea is that it gives you up to a month to get any faults fixed without leaving you with a car with no MOT thus not legally usable. I always get MOTs done a month in advance and find it a useful and reassuringly old-fashioned piece of legislation.