200,000k miles in a year - DSLRed
Having read the topic from yesterday on what car to get when you are tendering for a job involving 200,000k miles in a year, one thing that Dave the Taxi driver said was :-

"A nice little contract of 5 consecutive 15-hour shifts and the weekends off could be just what I need?.". My first reaction was "I hope he's joking".

Now, I am a consultant by trade myself, and do about 35,000 miles a year, travelling to jobs, and fit a full day job in between. So I know the dangers, and am not having a go a Dave here. But it made me think of a point that I think, more and more, is madness.

Why is it that it is perfectly legal for Dave to do a 15 hour shift on the road travelling 800 miles, 5 days a week, or for that matter, for me and others like me, to regularly undertake 200+ mile journeys home after having already done a full days work, then travel perhaps another 300 miles the next day, as well as a full days work, when lorry drivers cannot travel more than a set time, and have tachographs to enforce that.

I used to make some ridiculous journeys in the name of work as I hated staying out, but tend to stay out overnight more and more now and find it a necessary evil. I think the thing that swung it for me was the Selby Rail Disaster - there but for the grace of God Go I, and all that.

Do others think that it is only a matter of time before another disaster is casued by someone driving professionally, in a non-regulated profession, driving wise, and tachos are enforced on all people who drive long distances as part of their job, whether the job is classified as a driving job or not.
200,000k miles in a year - WhiteTruckMan
common failing of car drivers-especially 'buisness' drivers-is thinking they can drive a lot further than they actually can.

WTM
200,000k miles in a year - barney100
Thats a lot of miles. Just done the anorak and that equates to 549 miles a day-7 days a week-every day of the year. I would suggest any guy doing that mileage needs a very comfortable drivers seat.
200,000k miles in a year - frostbite
It's even more than you think - 200,000k = 200 million!

exit stage left pursued by a bear...
200,000k miles in a year - Roly93
I absolutely agree that this seems highly dangerous.

I do 25K a year on business and through the space of a year probably do 1 or 2 500 mile round trip journeys in a day to attend meetings etc.

However to do these numbers of hours/miles on a day to day basis is well beyond what you could consider doing safely.
so - tachos for everyone then - DSLRed
I just wonder if the average person knows just how many miles many people will routinely drive on business. or how many hours.

The first time that something "big" happens involving a business driver then everyone will wonder why such driving is unregulated. My mate works in the transport industry and has always thought it a bit of a non-sense that lorry drivers in his company are limited to the hours they can drive, but he can drive the length of the country and back in a day in his car to check their tachographs, to make sure they are not driving as much as him!!.
so - tachos for everyone then - trancer
Much easier to regulate Lorry drivers and force them to follow guidelines as they have alot more to lose if they break the rules.

Heavy regulation of those "nuisance" HGVs that get in everyone's way looks good to those who "want something done" about high accident rates on roads.
so - tachos for everyone then - Vansboy
It was the access to on line auction catalogues, that was causing me to drive even MORE miles, everyday.

I'd be looking for stock, in sales I'd never have considered, previously. & I, too, prefered to koip in my own bed, rather than stay out.

So my round tripp, would easily be 300 miles, with the pleasure of standing in an auction hall, for a few hours, to break the journey.

Oh yes - I was barmy, then, too.

How I envy the guys, Sally traffic refers to every afternoon!!

VB
so - tachos for everyone then - mare
Don't the working time regs (sort of) cover this? IIRC, it is employer's duty to ensure that htere is an eleven hour break between finishing work and starting again, plus the limits of work per day.

Therefore in this situation, drivers would drive alternate days to comply with the rules, if not for common sense.

Could be wrong
so - tachos for everyone then - hxj

The directive will restrict working to 8 hours a day on average, with no opt out as it is 'night work'. So an employee/director could only do 3 nights a wee on average.

You also have the 11 hour break problem.

Plus I think that the Health and Safety bods would look dimly on a contracted 15 hour day driving up and down motorways. Particularly if there was an accident when almost home after a 14 hour day.

Personally I think that it is a typical money before common sense idea.

so - tachos for everyone then - Stuartli
My late father's first job involving driving - rather than being in charge of factories - saw him cover 67,000 miles in his first year and at a time when motorways were virtually unknown.

He used to say that the driving was fitted in between work but he managed to get home every night 99 times out of a hundred despite covering a vast area of the UK; what really galled, however, him was that the Inland Revenue used to quibble at his two gallons a week private motoring use claim.

Even pointing out that he clearly had no great desire to go pleasure driving other than for essential family matters, it took some time to persuade the powers-that-be that the two gallons merely represented a quick visit most nights to the pub for a well deserved pint.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
so - tachos for everyone then - PhilDews
As someone who travels 220mls a day commuting - I would hate to do anywhere near this sort of driving. I spend more time in the car everyweek than I spend awake at home.

I don't like filling up every other day, but this would be filling up every day, probably twice somedays!

When I was looking after a fleet, it was number one priority to cut down the amount of hours a driver would do in a day - but if first call of the day was to Lincoln, and then an emergency came in for Carlisle, then thats a long drive! I think HSE guidelines were max of 2 hours between rests.
so - tachos for everyone then - Roger Jones
Without mentioning this thread, I've just been talking to a friend in the pub. He spoke of doing 190,000 trouble-free miles in a Renault Laguna over three years. I told him he was lucky, in view of the Laguna's reputation, and that it was a hell of an annual mileage. He said, yes it was, and that's what made him so ill that he left the job and then had a prolonged period of sick leave.

The most I ever did was about 35k a year as a rep in the North before the M62 was completed. I am so glad that job didn't last more than two years.