Serena - Timing chain - robert
Hi,

A family member (It isn't me - honest!) has a Nissan Serena 2.0 petrol with 88k on the clock on an M reg.

On the way back from a service/MOT it just died. Dealer called out to recover & advised that timing chain had gone and further diagnosis was required to see extent of damage - due to happen early next week.

So, a few questions - I know its chain driven, but is it SOHC or DOHC and how many chains are there? Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of how terminal any problems in this area may be? If its going to be megabucks then it might not even be worth fixing as the car is unlikely to be worth more than £1500 even after the repairs.

So chaps - comments if you please.

Thanks ........... Robert
Serena - Timing chain - Aprilia
This is the SR20DE engine, so it is one big chain driving two cams.

It must say that it would be *extremely* unusual for the chain to break on this engine unless it has suffered severe neglect or abuse. They are pretty much bullet proof. If things have got to the state where the chain has snapped (perhaps because of poor/no servicing and filthy oil) then the engine is scrap anyway. A good secondhand engine should be fairly easy to come buy (its the same unit used in the Primera 2.0i).
Serena - Timing chain - Dave N
As a rule chains don't just snap with no warning. There's usually plenty of rattling first. When the do go it's usually visible as they smash the front case of the engine and oil rushes out. As for the rest of the engine, it's usually terminal.
Serena - Timing chain - tony@tooting
The timing chain can be replaced with the engine in the car, and to do this will involve the removal of the head. (Which is bound to have suffered damage if the chain has failed.) Also the sunp has to be removed. It way be worth getting a price on a repair as well as a replacement engine. As far a I know, timing chains are not a common failure item on this car, so would agree with the above. Has the garage said the chain has gone? Or was it the recovery company?

Regards Tony
Serena - Timing chain - robert
Hi all,

Not exactly sure what the exact details are - but the garage have diagnosed "major" engine failure - with an estimate cost being greater than the value of the vehicle when repaired.

I'll post more when I find out.

Thanks