Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - Tony Soprano
Whenever I start my 1989 Golf Driver from cold,there is a loud screeching from what I think is the fan belt,it stops after a while but its annoying..what causes this?Do I need to adjust or replace the belt?
Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - Rishab C
Trickle a bit of soapy water over the belt and see if it goes quiet, if it does, at least you know it's not a bearing or pulley etc...
If it goes quiet and then noisy again as it dries, replace the belt a,d sandpaper the running surfaces of the pulleys while the belt is off to remove the polished effect.
Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - storme
errrr

why not just tighten it a bit,,it obviously needs adjustment

i bet it does it more at 1st start up in the morning,,when it is cold and damp ????

--
www.storme.co.uk
Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - mjm
Is it a single or a multi V belt? If single then the belt drive faces may be worn, or the pulleys may have spread due to age or persistant over-tensioning of the belt. If it is multi then the belt may be worn.
Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - Civic8
Check the belt out to make sure their are no cracks in it.A crack in belt will stretch as it being pulled.If the tension seems ok.And nothing unusual ..ie If belt is ok and tension correct according to manual.Possibly look in direction of water pump bearing failure/on its way out.Just a thought and may be wrong??
--
Steve
Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - jag
if it still screeches after tightening / replacing belt you will have to renew alternator pulley .
Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - defender
if the belt tension is ok its possibly running on the bottom of the pulleys (it should run on the sides of the belt/pulleys )it will slip and screech if this is the case ,a new belt would then be your cure
Golf Mk2 Fanbelt screeching - GreatestDancer
i had the same car with same problem

you need 2 spanners. one holds a nut steady whilst the other slackens off the retaining nut. then you adjust the tension then do back up the nuts.

job done - takes 5 minutes

cheers! Rich