Attention Alvin... - Mark (Brazil)

Alvin,

I'm getting quite a few unreadable e-mails from you. I have mailed you, but I am not sure you're getting my e-mails, certainly I'm still getting the weird ones.

Something's going wrong !!!

[Martyn - sorry about this, if you could leave the thread here for a while so that Alvin can see it, then by all means delete]

Mark.
Re: Attention Alvin... - Mark (Brazil)
oops ! I didn't see the other thread !!
Re: Attention Alvin... - ian (cape town)
Mark.
Good to see you back - saw some nasty rain (and mud slide) videos from your part of the world, and assumed you might have been flooded out!
i
Mmm, in Florianopolis, about 70 kilometres from me - pretty nasty it was, on Christmas Day as well.
Re: Attention Alvin... - ian (cape town)
Glad to see you're safe - they just said Rio on the news ...
Re: Attention Alvin... - Dan J
Hello there Mark,

How was your Christmas?

Had a legal question for you and last two posts reminded me of it - There were gale force winds in some areas of the UK today and I saw one overturned Land Rover Disco and trailer. Now, in my insurance details, it clearly states that you are not insured for an "Act of God". Exactly how do insurers define Act of God and are you still covered from something such as being blown over [in say a van or similar to above example]? Surely that could be passed off as an act of God?

Was just intrigued!

Dan
Tough one........

Nugent v Smith (1876) "Natural causes directly and exclusively without human intervention and that could not have been prevented by any amount of foresight and pains and care reasonably to have been expected".

Not strictly applicable, but there you go, best I could remember/find at short notice.

An act of god is normally relevant where the question of liability arises - i.e. no person can be liable for the act, or results of an act, of god. However, comprehensive cover (Accidental Damage) is not typically a question of liability, it is normally a question of whether or not he vehicle was damaged.

Whilst this may represent a contractual liability for the insurer, it does not normally represent a liability beyond any contractual arrangement - i.e. it can be avoided.

Were it a hurricane for example, they could well avoid the claim, if acts of god were excluded from the policy. However, acts of god are frequently not excluded from the policy, but are used as more of a limitation.

Equally, given the fact that an act of god cannot be anticipated or avoided, the policyholder could still argue that they had taken due care.

Nonetheless, with standard motor insurance and a van blown on its side from a sudden and unexpected storm, I wouldn't fancy your chances.

Which leaves us at either you typing in the exclusion, including definition, in full, or that Ugly Chappie turning up with an alternative, and perhaps fuller, opinion.

M.
Re: Attention Alvin... - pugugly
I resign............! Anybody want to buy a second hand set of Stone's ? (and a slightly used degree )
Because you despair of such incompetence and naive opinion ?
Re: Attention Alvin... - alvin booth
Thanks mark,
I had about a 100 returned ones last night. I think most of them were the same and I have apologised to many who mailed me asking what was I saying.
Up to now (20.30 GMT) I have not received any today.
My nephew who is a computer man says he has checked out my genuine outgoing mail to him and there is no virus's in them)
I had previously read about this on HJs site and I suppose in common with many I thought this would never happen to me.
In all the years I have had computers I have never had a virus and almost thought it must only happen to others. (Like car accidents)
Alvin