toyota celica engine type - peteses
I have a 1992 toyota celica 2.0 gti coupe and need to carry out some engine repairs. I have a Haynes repair manual which covers the following engine types....3S-FE, 3S-GE, 4A-FE, 5S-FE and 7A-FE. The engine number is 3S9172213.The car is badged as a gti but the registration document states gt. I have narrowed it down to either the3S-GE, 4A-FE or 7A-FE. Please can you explain how i can determine which type engine is fitted before I start working on it? The car is a uk registered vehicle. I would appreciate any feedback you have whatsoever.
Thanks
Pete.
toyota celica engine type - Sprice
The engine in your Celica is definately a 3S-GE (3S-GTE if its a turbo GT4 model). This should be marked on the upper timing belt cover.

The 3S-FE is the 2 litre in the Carina, 4A-FE is the Corolla engine, 5S-FE is the 2.2 litre Camry engine (also in US model Celicas), and I think the 7A-FE is the 1.8 litre in the 6th generation Celica (yours is a 5th generation pop up headlight model)

It is a GTi,(or GT if you prefer, same difference!) but if you need to get parts, they will need the model designation which is ST182, (or ST185 if its a GT4 turbo model)

Great cars, tough engines!