Equipment for ambulance - Jim M
Good afternoon All
I have been asked to review our ambulance contract and I need to know what I should specify. I know there a a couple of doc's and several other emergency services people, this plus the forums general knowledge I hope will put me on the right track.
First - Vehicle - will be a land cruiser with back seats out and a stretcher on skids installed.
Ambulance will be on rough track for approx 40 miles then 20 mls tarmac journey time approx 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Injury severity - I guess what you would get in a car accident.
Please no state of the art stuff as training and being able to actually buy and import equipment is quite limited. Oxygen yes but how much? Basically we will stabilize patient at location with rig doc the dispatch in ambulance.
Thanks for any help / suggestions. If you feel you don't wish to publish in forum please can you send me an e mail via mods.
Jim
Equipment for ambulance - Kevin
Take a look at:

basics.org.uk/data/index.htm

You'll find an equipment list under 'Home page'. If you find it useful please make a donation.

Basics is an organisation comprised of volunteers from the medical profession, doctors, nurses, paramedics etc. who support the emergency services with immediate care at accidents or major incidents. If you receive expert medical care at the scene of an accident you are much more likely to survive than if you have to wait until you get to hospital.

Maybe HJ could adopt them as a site-recommended charity or give them a mention in his Telegraph column?

Kevin...
Equipment for ambulance - Jim M
Kevin, thank you thank you. I will most certianly make a donation when I get back to UK and secure systems. I have read about the "Golden" minutes (not sure how many) which determine life and death. These people and their training make a real difference.
I agree if there was a charity for a motoring site to support this would "fit the bill". I would never attempt to influence anybody or this forum on such a private matter as charity donations but if there was a vote - Basics would get my vote !
I have been reading the Basic's site, the lists are long and complicated, are there any pro's out there who could recommend the "must haves"
Once again thanks Kevin
Jim
Equipment for ambulance - Pugugly {P}
Why don't you contact one of the UK Mountain Rescue people. I know that the Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Team have kitted out two ambulances in recent years. Their needs sound very similar to yours.

www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk
Equipment for ambulance - Kevin
Jim,

I should add, that if you are likely to be held legally responsible for the specification of this equipment and it sounds like you might, you should really have the list drawn up by a qualified quack. Preferably one with experience of the injuries typical or unique in your industry.
I once worked at a Uranium mine with it's own Sulphuric Acid plant. The medical station there *had* to be equipped for chemical burns and respiratory damage.

You will also need to consider how and who is responsible for ensuring that everything is checked, stored and maintained properly. It's no good having a fully equipped ambulance full of supplies that have become useless because they've been sat in temps of 120deg. for the last 6 months.

Kevin...