running in vw pd to prevent oil use - Dr Rubber
I've gone mad and changed my 1.6 touran for a 1.9TDI. Whats the best way to run it in to prevent it using lots of expensive oil in the future? I've read HJ's recommendations, but is there anything else to consider? Do I use gentle accelaration for the first few hundred miles or just keep the revs below 3k and give it some welly?
All help greatfully appreciated as I've never run in a diesel before.
Joe
running in vw pd to prevent oil use - Altea Ego
dont labour it or make it lumber at very low revs.
running in vw pd to prevent oil use - Civic8
As RF.Use the revs.Up to governor point.As and when needed but dont overload ie its struggling to pull.Diesels hate low revs. untill worn in..and often first few thousand miles tells how the car has been driven.Same as a van.Revs not used may be the difference between slugish engine over time.Or fast engine.Only need to ask a van driver..
--
Steve
running in vw pd to prevent oil use - Dr Rubber
Cheers all. I think I'll take it steady for a bit and then build up the revs. Don't want a slow car, but I don't want an oil burner either :-)
Joe
running in vw pd to prevent oil use - Armitage Shanks {p}
This link to HJ's FAQs No 4 may help

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32
running in vw pd to prevent oil use - Stuartli
I'm on my third VW in 13 years (all petrol) with the first arriving with 66k plus miles on the clock, the second 52k plus and the current Bora 46k (now 53k).

Not one of them has required topping up in between oil and filter changes and my light grey coloured flagstoned front garden is completely oil free.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
running in vw pd to prevent oil use - Stuartli
PS

That reminds me of the time several years ago, before Halfords was taken over, when its mechanics did an oil and filter change for me on a big bumper Jetta TX.

I was requested to have a look at the sump housing which had a coating of oil on one section, much to my surprise. I was advised that it required at the very least a new sump oil seal....

It gave me great pleasure to tell the orchestrater of this particular piece of kidology exactly what I thought of him, after first politely revealing I'd never had any form of oil leak with the Jetta in five years' ownership.

Result - two extremely subdued and subservient employees.

Wondered afterwards how many other customers had been caught out in the past by being told about such "work" being necessary?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
running in vw pd to prevent oil use - ihpj
With a new engine, I don't think that it is entirely possible to prevent it from drinking oil - as it is to prevent it drinking fuel ;) It's all part of the 'running in process' and how much it drinks before it breaks in can be engine dependant. I know that msot new cars these days don't require the same care and attention as the previous generation cars (remember when your new car used to have the 1500 mile service?) - but it always pays to be gentle. If it drinks a little here and there I wouldn't be worried - these costs are part and parcel of owning a new car - so enjoy :)