Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - typing00
Hi guys

I placed a deposit of £500 with my local dealer for the 350z roadster when nissan first accepted orders in october. Just before Christmas my dealer phoned me up for specifications and i said that i wanted the standard 350z with metallic paint. however the dealer just called me and said that the car will be arriving in 2 days time but it will be a 350z GT which costs £2500 more than the standard version. Where do I stand? The problem is that there has been no paperwork except for a receipt of credit card payment of the deposit. The options seem to be:

1) Lose the deposit
2) Try and find someone who will buy the car in full (?as first registered owner) so that the dealer will refund my deposit. But I do not know how I go about doing that?
3) Just swallow it and pay up despite my preference for the standard version.

I can go with option 3 but it is not the car i ordered! what do you guys think? thank you.
Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - trancer
Sounds like the dealer will not be suppying what you ordered, if thats the case then it seems pretty cut and dry, however you have no order form/paperwork stating what was ordered so nothing to stop dealer saying you told him to get the full whack model. Dealer probably knows that if you didn't follow through with purchase other buyers would want the GT so he could be covering his bases.

I can't imagine the car will be hard for him to sell, so I would suggest asking for money back since he cannot (will not?) supply what you want. If that fails, stick an auction on ebay "selling" your order spot for a minimum of £500, probably don't have time on your hands though.
Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - cheddar
Hi HJ,

Reckon that would apply if the spec of the model changed however here the dealer is supplying a different model, a GT as opposed to standard model where, presumably, the standard model is still available.

Regards.
Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - ihpj
How can there be 'no paper work' if you put down a deposit with a reputable dealer? Surely you msut have a copy of what you signed and agreed to or do you simply in the habit of handing money over without a second thought to people? Look at what you paid the deposit for and try to argue the point that you should get the car you paid the deposit for - if they (Dealer) got the order wrong, then it isn't your problem. Why can't you now go for a 'standard' car - si the wait too long? I _always_ get whatever I'm told in writing - especially so when I'm handing over money.

But at the end of the day, the Dealer should refund your money in full because he has not been able to provide you with the 'goods' you agreed - see your local Trading Standards. But I stress again if youa re dealing with a main dealer then you should have NO issues with getting your money back or a better deal on your car - start with:

Whose fault is it that the wrong car has been ordered? And then see if you can use that to your advantage and negotiate a discount on the 'wrong car' or wait a little longer to get the 'right' car. in any evnet you can and should be able to get 100% of your deposit back.
Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - L'escargot
I find this most odd. Every time I have ordered a new car I have signed, and been given a copy of, a form detailing exactly what I have ordered and the terms and conditions applicable to the order. I can't see how any reputable/official dealer can do otherwise.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - ihpj
Having thought about it a little longer - if I had put a deposit down on a car and then two days before I was to recevie it the Dealer called me to tell me what he has told you, then I would have politely explained to the Dealer that if my new car wasn't ready for collection as promissed then that would mean I would incur costs while I awaited delviery of my car since I was expecting it to arrive as promissed. If *they* messed up then it isn't my problem since I have paid for and expect that vehicle. Should they now look to renage, then I would expect to be _compensated_fully_ or alternatively be sold the higher spec car at no extra cost (and inconvenience) to myself for two days is not long enough notice for me to make alternative arrangements, especially since if you are buying a 'new' car and this requires a LOT of time spent in researching which one and which spec. to buy. The fact that you settled on this particular one is not an accident, but rather out of choice and you simply must have it.

ANY main dealer would want toa void a fisaco of any kind. Stick up for your consumer rights man and play hardball, don't simply roll over and accept whatever they tell you.
Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - typing00
I deduced that the car will come with Rays alloy too, as the balance remaining was £29870. Thanks everyone for your advice, have put it on ebay and see what happens.
Wrong Specs of 350Z Roadster - cheddar
Hi, Had a look at your listing on e-Bay. OK, you may make a small profit for allowing the winning bidder to queue jump however I reckon you should get your deposit back from the dealer on the basis that it is not just a spec change, it is a different model, a GT as opposed to standard model, that they are proposing to supply.

Regards.