End of life vehicles - Dwight Van Driver
I know this is important. It will in the fullness of time affect all vehicle owners. It is important. It is coming SOON.

tinyurl.com/6lr67

Now I have tried reading and making sense of it and each time I fall asleep.

What is all about?

Right, (gets a grip of oneself) another go...

zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

DVD

End of life vehicles - PhilDews
Now I got tired reading the title, so I haven't read all the document. However, I presume this is to do with all manufacturers having a free disposal service for their vehicles once they reach their end of life.

As I understand it Ford are the first company to have a scheme to dispose of old Fords that are now ex-Fords!, but as the document seems to suggest this will shortly be a requirement on all car manufacturers and is along similar lines to the WEEE directive (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) that requires all manufacturers of WEE equipment to pay a certain amount a year to ensure that their products don't end up in landfill.

What it will start to elimate (over time of course) is abandoned cars.....

Hope this is a. right, & b. helps!
End of life vehicles - madux
Would a defence be "I did read the new regulations, but they were totally incomprehensible."?
End of life vehicles - GrahamF1
A lot of padding, but quite simply that manufacturers will shortly have to provide a facility for disposing of the vehicles they make when they reach the end of their life.

Paves the way for a formal definition of end-of-life to be introduced, meaning we'll have to scrap our cars when they reach a certain age. The manufacturer's recycling plants aren't going to want them when they've rusted away and the engines have seized, they'll want them when there's plenty of useful material left, not to mention salvage to recondition and sell at the parts desk. If members of the public are even allowed to buy parts.
From my understanding of the process, I don't think scrapyards, oops, vehicle recycling facilities, will die out. More likely I reckon to become more successful as the manufacturers encourage them. I don't think GM, Fiat, Citroen etc.. actually want to become recyclers - they only need to comply with the law and, by having an agreement with a number of vehicle recycling facilities they can probably honour that commitment.

I'm not sure whether we will have to scrap our cars at a certain age - more likely it will be when they fail their MOT tests for certain reasons, eg Safety or environmental.

We have to realise that cars need to be looked after when they die in terms of environmental consequences - facilities like these invested in by car manufacturers is only right and proper.
End of life vehicles - frostbite
Great. So, one day, those who are unlucky enough to live long enough will receive a letter informing that their vehicle has been declared defunct by the regional Tsar and should be taken to the nearest disposal point or be collected for a fee.
Lets just think about this - does a person have a right to drive a £100 banger that emits more pollution than the entire population of Yorkshire?

We need to ensure that this system has proper checks and balances which do seem to be missing from certain aspects of the British legal/political system. However, we don't even know that such a system will be brought in.

We just cannot continue in the same way as we have historically. We need to start focussing on the environmental impact of what we do. Its something I have to think about at work, so why shouldn't we all as consumers have to think about it too?
End of life vehicles - commerdriver
Lets just think about this - does a person have a
right to drive a £100 banger that emits more pollution than
the entire population of Yorkshire?

No they don't have a right to emit huge amounts of pollution.

There are already checks, all vehicles used on the road need an MOT, vehicles causing too much pollution need to be sorted before they pass an MOT test. Seems reasonable to me.

Good. This is the point I was trying to make - vehicles need an MOT & if a car fails that MOT for environmental reasons, how do we deal with it - okay, it can be fixed but I would guess in many cases it isn't worth it, so the person will drive around in a vehicle with no MOT? This legislation will provide for the safe disposal of the car instead of it being dumped by the side of the road etc...

I'm no green campaigner, but it is important to recognise that we need to take care of our world. But that shouldn't be at the expense of civil liberties. Its getting the balance right and thats partly our responsibility.
End of life vehicles - THe Growler
The answer is as plain as the nose on your visage.

Enterprising chaps will make a fortune out of container loads of quote unquote end of life vehicles (and this definition begs more than a few questions) sent to less developed countries.

This will serve the objectives of classic EUtopia BS. They can claim they're addressing the problem (if indeed it is a problem) by just exporting it.
End of life vehicles - madf
" Lets just think about this - does a person have a
the entire population of Yorkshire?"

London Transport did it for years with Routemasters and the Gov't did with Green Goddesses and are Army tanks green? And the Queen has some rather old RR and Daimler cars:-)

If they can, we can....

madf

End of life vehicles - djcj
Hi. This legislation is also to encourage the manufacturers to make thier vehicles more recycleable.
I think I read somewhere that the Queen has stopped using some of her older cars such as the Vauxhall Victor estate at Sandringham because of the emmisions. (I think it was a victor).

Clive.
End of life vehicles - Hugo {P}
G,

I think we've spoken about this before. This is effectively what the Japanese do to our market. Many Japanese cars about 10 years old are flogged to this country where importers make shedloads of money by selling them on.

Some of the screen prices for imports defy belief!

The time for any brit to do this from the UK would have been when steel prices were at an all time low some 9 months ago. I could have set up a service at the Plymouth Docks taking cars off people and charge them £30 a go on the basis that it was safe to drive and mechanically OK, You could have organised and paid for shipping back to the Philippines.

I would have collected loads of £30 fees and you would have been blessed with free stock ;)

H
End of life vehicles - Graham
Get real.

Why not turn it the other way and ask:

Does anyone have the right to buy a new car which has used considerable resources up in the manufacturing when there are 20 yr old landrovers out there that have the ability to last for the life of the owner and have already been made?
End of life vehicles - NARU
Lets just think about this - does a person have a
the entire population of Yorkshire?

How much pollution is emitted when a car is made? Making all that steel and aluminium creates plenty of pollution of its own! Not to mention the fossil fuels used to create all the plastics!

If the old car isn't doing many miles, it might be better that it stays in service than a new one made? Especially if the owner uses scrapyards [recyling plants] for spare parts?

I've genuinely been looking for a balanced assessment of the environmental damage of creating, running and destroying a car for some time. I haven't found one yet, despite getting into a detailed discussion with the head of environmental affairs for Volvo worldwide.