First Aid at Accident ? - puntoo
I witnessed an accident this morning where a young girl (13 ish) stepped into the road in front of a passat.

Luckily the passat was not going fast and she rolled on the bonnet and then stood up straight away and appeared to be ok.

She then tried to continue on her way saying that everything was ok and she wanted to go to school. She almost had to be restrained by her friend to stay.

Another driver rang her parents, and her dad appeared and then sent her on her way to school with friends. Numbers were exhanged and I left the scene (somewhat suprised he didn't take her to a doctor)

She said that her backpack had took most of the impact and she didn't have any obvious signs of damage or pain.

I am not trying to judge her father, but did he do the right thing or should she have been checked by someone ?

First Aid at Accident ? - AR-CoolC
Always best to be "better safe than sorry" in this sort of situation.

A few years ago I was behind a car that knoked a kid (10ish) off his bike, he went up onto the bonnet and as in your incident got straigh up and said he was fine, but I still called an ambulance anyway. They arrived and persuaded him that he really should go with then to the hospital.

He was more worried about what his dad would say than any potential injuries.
First Aid at Accident ? - Schnitzel
I think this country is getting the American culture of over-reacting. If the girl was OK, and didn't hit her head, why wait 7 hours in A&E just to waste their time reporting nothing
Earlier in the week, we had a road sealed off by Police and fire brigade in chemical suits just because a boy's chemistry set fizzed and gave off fumes.

It's getting rediculous.
First Aid at Accident ? - Badger
In my time as an RAF medic, I encountered a very similar case. The victim had, however, suffered a ruptured spleen and half an hour later was needing immediate surgery to save his life. Luckily I had ignored his protests and taken him to hospital.

If that had been my daughter she would have had no option. She would have been checked.
First Aid at Accident ? - Altea Ego
Wise words from Brock, I mean who can have more experience of family members being run over?

First Aid at Accident ? - Badger
Happens all the time. We check the DVLA, get the driver's address, then some of the boys go over and excavate his lawn.
First Aid at Accident ? - Adam {P}
I can go one better.

I was in fact hit by a car outside school no less. (It was my fault).

Now I rather foolishly got up and although shaken (I rolled off the windscreen) I made out everything was fine. Fortunately, a teacher managed to make me stay for my mum to pick me up and take me to hospital where they promtly took samples of pretty much everything, checked me over etc.

I was an idiot for getting hit and an idiot for making out everything was ok but at least I got a week off school!
--
Adam
First Aid at Accident ? - BobbyG
Am I not right in saying that if she went to hospital as a result of an RTA, they would have insisted in getting details of driver, ins company etc etc?

I am not giving this as a reason for not going, just a reason why they may have decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.
Arrghhh! I hate it when I see a typo in my own post.

Needless to say, I meant to say promptly. Thanks Bobby for flagging up a "New" message!

--
Adam
First Aid at Accident ? - Altea Ego
"I was in fact hit by a car outside school no less. (It was my fault)."

Aha - this accounts for the love of boots on cars.....Brain Damage!
First Aid at Accident ? - Kevin
>Aha - this accounts for the love of boots on cars.....Brain Damage!

Nope,

>but at least I got a week off school!

It was Vehicle Appreciation 101 that week.

Kevin...
First Aid at Accident ? - trancer
The thing is, how could anyone know if the girl was ok just by looking at her?. Children are particularly resilient and with the adrenaline pumping she may not even feel any pain until well after the incident. I have been to shooting scenes where people are walking around asking what happened and not having any clue that they got shot until someone points out to them that they are bleeding.

In emergency medical training there are trauma scales to determine the level of trauma a person has recieved. Believe it or not a fall from a height of one's own height (if you can understand that) is enough to score quite high on that scale.

The person to decide if the child is ok is the A&E doctor, and he *should* be doing alot more than just looking at her (as her father did) to determine that.
First Aid at Accident ? - volvoman
If it'd been one of mine they'd have been off to A&E regardless of the wait. BTW - In my considerable experience of hospitals, children are almost always given priority and I doubt whether any child who'd been hit by a car would have to wait 7 hours to be seen or anything like that.
I would think RF that all my previous posts would indicate I had brain damage! We didn't need you to tell us!

>>
It was Vehicle Appreciation 101 that week.<<

:-) No - it was actually frog dissection week. Got off lightly there!

--
Adam