Carved up - Badger
This afternoon, Lady Stripey and I were in town, cruising the Stripemobile towards a T junction. We were travelling up the 'leg' of the T towards the crossroads. As we neared the junction, a woman driver appeared from our right, turned into our road, cut the corner, swung across our path (causing us to brake) and slammed straight into the car park of the building at the left hand side of our road without looking, slowing or signalling.

She was a policewoman, driving a marked police car and the building is the nick. No, it was not an emergency. She dropped her (male copper) passenger, bid him a farewell then backed out and continued on her way, following us until she got bored.

What does one do under these circumstances?
Carved up - NowWheels
What does one do under these circumstances?

Take a deep breath, get clear, and count yourself lucky that you wereen't hit and then blamed for the accident? :(
Carved up - commerdriver
As someone who believes the police advanced drivers to be the best on the road I am sure the traffic guys must cringe when they see how some of their colleagues in other parts of the force drive.

While you have to have a level of training even to drive a panda (if thats the modern term) car the attitude that driving is something that needs effort is probably just as rare among that group of drivers as it is among the general public.
Carved up - john deacon
saw a pair of coppers park on a ped crossing to go and get their newspapers yesterday
Carved up - Alan
I recently saw a police car driving with only one headlight. When I first got a car quite a few years ago the conventional wisdom was that you must never drive with any lights out or you would be pulled by the first copper you saw who would probably breathalyse you as well. How times have changed.
Carved up - Bill Payer
I recently saw a police car driving with only one headlight.
When I first got a car quite a few years ago
the conventional wisdom was that you must never drive with any
lights out or you would be pulled by the first copper
you saw who would probably breathalyse you as well. How times
have changed.

You really can't tell in some cars (my 406 for example). Also on many cars now (like Ka, and A6 for example) it's not really a roadside job to change the bulb anymore.
Carved up - BrianW
"You really can't tell in some cars (my 406 for example)."

Really - as soon as you pull up behind another vehicle you can see if you've got on headlight or two reflecting off them.

"Also on many cars now (like Ka, and A6 for example) it's not really a roadside job to change the bulb anymore."

Agreed, changed a bulb on my Pug 405 in less than five minutes last night - no tools required.
Changed a bulb in my daughter's Mondeo before Christmas and it's a half hour job requiring spanners and screwdriver.
It's pointless requiring spare bulbs to be carried if it takes that sort of time to do a switch.
Carved up - patently
It's pointless requiring spare bulbs to be carried if it takes
that sort of time to do a switch.

Obviously HMG needs to legislate that all cars must also carry a toolbox fitted with a fully qualified mechanic, trained by the relevant maker to effect repairs of this sort. And a supply of food and drink sufficient to nourish the mechanic for the expected life of the vehicle.

That should solve things neatly.
Carved up - patently
Take a deep breath, [...]

Wise words, NW. But I really would rather pull in and make a report of dangerous driving. After all, there's a cop shop nearby.

So tempting...
Carved up - madux
I once followed a WPC at 35 in a 40 limit for two miles along an urban dual carriageway. Guess what? She turned right at the roundabout at the end!
I didn't have the nerve to flash her or report her.
I remember an article about Police motorcyclists in a motorcycle magazine where the Police told them that they only receive 3 weeks training to become a traffic policeman, having never ridden a bike before.
Next time a 19yr old tries to lecture you, ask him how long he's been riding himself.
Carved up - Thommo
If you have the money you can, and people do, take a Direct Access Course in a week start to finish and then go and buy a Yamaha R1.
Carved up - helicopter
I was once pulled over by a young copper in Parliament Square , presumably because I was riding my 125 cc commuter bike ( the better to thread through the traffic ) with no 'L' plates and he thought he had a 'pull'.

His disappointment was evident when I showed him my full bike licence and he asked me how long I had had a full bike licence.

When I told him he said 'Blimey - thats longer than I have been alive' and sent me on my way.

Good job he didn't look at the tread on the rear tyre.......
Carved up - BrianW
I got pulled up on the M11 on SHMBO's scooter, my normal bike being in for service.
Plod was disappointed when I pulled out a full driving licence (probably, as in the previos posting, dating from before he was born) despite still having her L plates up.