Pug406 auto climate control - AdrianM
New problem on the old Pug!

Firstly the a/c doesn't seem to be very cold but there are a number of threads around at the mo covering that. Now I notice that the fan doesn't regulate itself (ie speed up/slow down) when I adjust the temp to extremes. However, it does pick up if I select the demisting function (and clears the screen pretty efficiently too). Could it be a faulty ambient temp sensor - if so, where do I find it?

As usual, any advice greatly appreciated.

Pug406 auto climate control - Mackay78
I believe the sensor is contained within the light cluster in the roof, prise the cover off and you'll see it, had the sam problem on my 406, replacement solved it.
Thanks for that Mackay - though now I'm not convinced that is my problem. Had chance to fiddle with it after work today....

As I change the target temp (on auto setting) the vents blow out hot or cold air accordingly but it's just the fan doesn't go faster or slow to speed up the heating/cooling process. However, if I select the demisting function air temp and fan speed work just as I'd expect as I change the temp up and down.

Any suggestions?
Pug406 auto climate control - Bill Payer
I've had 3 406 Exec's over the last 6 years and I'm still slightly baffled by the climate control :-)

Couple of things about the fan speed - from a cold start it blows slowly until the engine warms up. Also (this seems to operate a bit randomly) the fan slows down again as the car stops at junctions etc, then speeds up as the car (or engine speed) increases.
Pug406 auto climate control - quadmyre
Also note the fan speed is only automatic when the display shows 'Auto' (after pressing either the auto button or the front windshield demist button). Hitting many of the other buttons (particularly the square left-right arrowed one used to manually set fan speed) cancels this. I'm never really sure how much of the auto settings are cancelled by each button but it will stop displaying 'auto' if you hit any of them.
This is why I'm confused.....it works fine on demist but not on normal Auto mode. However, the suggestion that it doesn't pick up until the engine warms up may have some merit as I only do short journeys in it now.

As an aside, whilst commuting ~1000 miles per week it never missed a beat (apart from a failed fuel pump) - since relocating and driving approx three miles to work through town I've had countless small, niggling problems!