Driving in Cyprus - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Interesting drving standards in southern Cyprus where I've spent the Xmas holidays.
When coming upon red traffic lights the locals continue to creep forward and often only stop short of the far red in the junction.
Interesting at night time
Traffic in side roads does not always give way and the ubiquitous pick up trucks often drive down the wrong side of the road initially when making a right turn.
Still, petrol was only 43 cents a litre (~ 52 p)

--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Driving in Cyprus - doctorchris
Don't complain. At least you get to drive on the left in a hire car with the steering wheel on the right side!
Driving in Cyprus - THe Growler
Driving in Cyprus is pretty civilised compared to the conditions in surrounding countries.

Probably goes back to when it was part of the Empah, eh what?
Driving in Cyprus - John R @ home {P}
GWS,

I passed my driving test in Larnica in 1975, it does not sound as if things have improved much in the last 30 years...

The white Merc taxis were the worst, for overtaking on blind bends and never indicating (a sign of weakness), followed closley by farmers pickups (sometimes literaly) driving in the middle of the road . Exessive use of the horn was also common.

I had a Honda XL250 trail bike and developed a 6th & 7th sense for anticipation of what they would do next.

Regards,

John R @ Home
Driving in Cyprus - bonfire
I did not find any problems driving in Cyprus. Driving in the mountains was fun
Driving in Cyprus - Stuartli
I had to miss out on a driving trip to Cyprus but a friend tells me that in the British sector the motoring laws are applied pretty much to the letter, especially speeding...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Driving in Cyprus - Harmattan
About 10 years since I drove in Cyprus but I can still remember the scary moment when I discovered some of the locals preferred driving on the right to the left.

Would be interested to know if things have changed regarding another local practice. On getting back to my hire car in a Limassol car park I was annoyed to find it blocked in by someone parking across a couple of bays. Several other cars were similarly parked and a quick look inside a couple showed that the keys were in the ignition and the doors unlocked. So I simply moved the one blocking me in, got my car out and parked the newcomer in the bay. Not sure if it would work in the UK though.
--
Harmattan: Lots of wind, but cool.