ZX 1.4 head gasket?? - NeilT
Hi,

Having had no luck from an earlier thread on the hot running of my brothers 1997 ZX 1.4i (60k miles)I have another concern.
The original problem was that it ran between 90 - 100 degrees all the time (nearer 100 on motorway). The owners manual says this is correct, and indeed the fan cuts in at 100 degrees. But I would have thought with a new thermostat (88 deg) that it should run cooler, especially when the ambient temp is only 3 degrees.
The reason I am concerned about the head gasket is that while changing the coolant over Xmas I noticed some brown mayo/sludge in the header tank. I am usure whether this is oil deposits or just from the previous owner doing short didtances.
Everything else seems fine, it runs smooth, pulls well, has no sign of water in oil, and water level stays constant. Cuold it be remains from an old gasket problem, and how can I clean it out, and engine flush with a hose failed to remove it.

--
Neil T
Mondeo Ghia TDCi 130 Estate, SEAT Toledo 20VT Sport, Various Montegos...
ZX 1.4 head gasket?? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Almost certainly an indication that the head gasket is in distress and allowing oil under pressure to leech into a waterway. Less likely is a crack between oil gallery and water jacket in the head itself. It wont show up with a coolant combustion leak test. First priority is to flush out the system and see if sludge returns. Best product for this is Forte Bio degreaser, used it several times on K series rover when the inevietable gaket failure fills the sump with water which turns to yogurt!.Only available to trade so try a couple of workshops locally or email me for supply.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!