Not a speed-camera thread (much) - Lounge Lizard
I recently drove from Cheshire to Nottingham. Surely this route deserves some road investment? Both the M1 and the M6 are completely out of the way; apart from last few miles to Nottingham. It seems to me that the only route that is sensibly direct is via Buxton, including treacherous mountain pass across Penines. Inevitably, I got stuck at 20 mph behind one of the many HGVs using that route. Sometimes you can't safely do more than 20 mph anyway; but the HGVs can't pick up much speed on the many safer stretches. Over taking is impossible for miles & miles.

What I would like is a nice new motorway from Cheshire through Derbyshire linking M6 to M1.

Can I squeeze in a couple of speed camera questions that arise from the above trip?

Travelling east towards Buxton (a few miles short) I noticed a speed camera on the OPPOSITE side of the road. I approached it, and saw it flash as I continued towards it. I am just about certain that there were no cars in the usual flash range in front of it: I remember an empty road. My question is this: could the camera have been flashing at me, on the other side of the road? I was doing less than indicated 40 in a 30 zone (I think. I'll take the lectures as read, thank you). Do cameras ever go off for no reason? I have not received any letters of an unChristmassy nature so far (nearly 2 weeks later).

In the next village that I passed through, there was a pair of speed cameras on each side of the road. However, on both sides of the road I noticed that the cameras were pointing in the OPPOSITE direction to where the white stripes were. I realize that you can get forward-facing speed cameras, but why paint stripes going in the opposite direction? My theory is that they started off with the usual 'flashing from behind' speed cameras and painted the road to go with it. Maybe later they updated the speed cameras to forward-facing ones but didn't repaint the road.

I am a bit worried now that the board moderators are going to politely but firmly tell me that speed-camera posts are now banned until further notice and that I should refer to Speed Camera Thread XVII.
Not a speed-camera thread (much) - PhilW
"What I would like is a nice new motorway from Cheshire through Derbyshire linking M6 to M1."

Have you tried going down M6 to Stoke then across via A50, which is now dual carriageway from M6 to M1 at East Midlands Airport. We certainly find it the best route when going from Leics to the Wirral.

Not a speed-camera thread (much) - blue_haddock
Yep i'd suggest that route as well - i travel from stoke to either Burton or Derby every day and i never have any trouble.