Fuel pumps - Kevin

Folks,

I've just been to a local Shell station that recently had new pumps installed. The "Total Sale" display on the pumps is now 6-digits.

"Pump number 5 Sir ? That'll be £9999.99"
Re: Fuel pumps - Darcy Kitchin
Is there an airport nearby?
Re: Fuel pumps - John Slaughter
I'm worried!

I was going to suggest they were European pumps designed to cope with lire or something, then I thought of the Euro coming in on 1st January.

What do they know about Gordon's tax plans that we don't?!

Let's hope they are old stock!

Regards

JS
Re: Fuel pumps - Ian (cape town)
Back in the mid-80's when they had analog pumps (remember them?) the price here went above R1 a litre for petrol. (the currency started to nose-dive about then) and the pumps were mostly set for only 2 digits per litre.
As the pumps could only handle 2 digits before the decimal, prices were displayed as "52.6c/litre X 2", and the final bill was DOUBLE what was on display.
as you can imagine, massive confusion ensued!
Re: Fuel pumps - Simon Butterworth
Similar here when it went over a pound a gallon.
Re: Fuel pumps - David Millar
Reminds me of buying petrol for the first time in Turkey. The price was similar to the UK but expressed in Turkish lira a tankful cost 21,000,000. However, the display lopped off the last digit. The petrol station owner was amused not when I offered the equivalent of around £3.50 which was what was indicated.

Interesting facility though. In many of the Middle East countries, you can expect your windows washed while the attendant fills up your tank. In some Turkish petrol stations, they will give you a free car wash, with the exception of a tip which is not compulsory.

David