LHM does it dissolve tarmac driveways? - pmh
Following a large LHM leak from the BX, I cleaned it up using a new can of a proprietary degreasant (which I have used on the tarmac before with no adverse effects).

The tarmac has now lost all of its binding properties in the localality of the spill, I have a hole about 60cm diam about 1-2 cms deep!

Is this the LHM or has the makeup of the degreasant been recently modified to make it more aggressive?

I am in trouble with SWMBO!!!!!!
pmh (was peter)
LHM does it dissolve tarmac driveways? - Roberson
I don't think LHM is that aggressive, as I think it comes into contact with rubber seals, so if were aggressive enough to erode tar, then it would probably dissolve the rubber too.

Its more likely to be the de-greasant. The properties of the stuff enable it to break down oil (and many other petroleum based products). And as the tarmac is basically a less refined 'by product' of other oil products, then it will probably break it down quite readily.

Not that up on chemistry, so could be barking up the wrong tree.
LHM does it dissolve tarmac driveways? - Civic8
Would agree with Roberson..Degreasant will break down tarmac.As will petrol if you spill onto tarmac.
--
Steve
LHM does it dissolve tarmac driveways? - LongDriver {P}
Most driveways are made from DBM (dense bituminous material). Aggregate and bitumen and that's about it.

The bitumen will be disoolved by the degreaser.

LHM shouldn't affect the surfacing, as it's vegetable based isn't it? (can't remember - despite having the misfortune to have a BX16 TGS Meteor once...).

Mineral oils will dissolve the bitumen, in theory the lighter the oil, the faster it will work, however in practice, the lighter oils (eg petrol) will evaporate before they do much damage. Heavier oils which evaporate more slowly/not at all at normal atmospheric temperatures will cause long term damage as they will have more time to work on the bitumen.

For evidence of this, look at your nearest bus stop. The surfacing will be more knackered than the rest of the road - hence the practice these days of doing the bust stop bay in concrete or in surface coatings, which are bonded using the same resins as antiskid material.
LHM does it dissolve tarmac driveways? - RichardW
LHM = Liquide Hydraulique Minerale

"Mineral oils will dissolve the bitumen,"

QED! If you run a LHM car, make sure you've got a concrete drive. LHM is not unlike diesel, and that will certainly dissolve tarmac.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
LHM does it dissolve tarmac driveways? - LongDriver {P}
In that case the driveway wil be getting damaged by the LHM with the help of the Degreaser!