beware of gordan - alvin booth
Our esteemed Chancellor has give us warnings of increased taxation.
The golden goose of motoring will no doubt be in line for plucking.
What new methods will he use.
Doubt he can go for fuel again as the truckers will react.
The environment is always a favourite so which part of it will his spin doctors be looking at to make us think he is doing us all a favour.
Alvin
Re: beware of gordan - ladas are cool
i know that road tax has gone up a little, so i think he might go for more - speed cameras, higher fines, more tax on alcohol and ciggies, higher tax on petrol (not diesel, so the lorry drivers dont complain).
Re: beware of gordan - Andy
Don't forget the workplace parking tax ( I hope we are not going to stand for this) and more congestion charging (likewise).
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - Stuart B
"Don't forget the workplace parking tax"

Actually there was a series of traffic surveys round here a while ago. These were funded by the council, guess what one of the questons was,"if you are on to your place of employment is free parking provided" Hmmmm local council watch out, motorists have a vote too you know.

Just to make a link to all the spoof HJ and LAC Christmas albums, a politicians one would have to have the classic.

Gordon is a moron by T Bliar
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - THe Growler....and so the hand
....and so the hand-in-your-pocket Chancellor has found a way to charge you for your use of the environment! This is deviously fiscal, hellishly clever and It works like this: we need you to tax you on the amount of CO2 your car produces (this is an environmental matter decided by a lot of men in Brussels who no one has ever seen and is therefore unarguable, otherwise you are not PC and must be vilified. A bit like saying loudly in public you don't like curry, and by the way Mr Blunkett is passing laws about that sort of thing too).

".......As the Alwyn Committee has already pointed out in its report, you inevitably use a certain amount of CO2 for you to produce enough for us to be able to tax you on it. This arises from vehicluar motion. Since your Gov't is currently unable to charge you for your consumption of these CO2 resources due to the difficulty of establishing a suitable mechanism (note however several thousand bureaucrats, Eurocrats and other crats are working on feasibility studies for this), we can however charge you for the means of production, i.e. petrol. Future tax levied on this commodity will therefore take this into account via a CO2 usage levy. This is important, since you are consuming the stuff and if this profligacy goes continues unfettered, then by 2056 the next generation for whom our moral responsibility lies will not have any CO2 left, for which read we won't be able to charge them for it, because if there isn't any they won't be able to produce any and the NHS, railways and our ability to instal and maintain speed cameras will be seriously affected. Trees and shrubs may also die as well....... (nod to the treehugging lobby here).........

......As I have always said I am a Government who takes our moral responsibilities very seriously indeed..."

(With any typical linear Labourite argument which uses conscience-grabbing politically correct herd-management language I believe there is usually a counter one, and this example lies in the findings of the Alwyn Report itself. By consuming CO2 in order to emit, you are therefore recycling it so it can be used again and retaxed. This argument will be taken up by the Association of British Drivers in the Hague, who will lobby for tax rebates based on CO2 emission volumes under European recycling legislation).

Sorry, folks, but us long term expats depend on Euro-nonsense for much of our entertainment round the bar in our retirement tax havens! Maybe we're all troppo anyway......
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - Kevin
That wasn't you in the Manila karaoke bar was it Growler ?
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - THe Growler....and so the hand
I have been known to frequent the odd bar or three: try www.balibago.com if you'd like an entertaining tour of our back yard. Be glad to arrange a gudided tour (Males only).

Also bring a big suitcase and stock up with cheap accessories, synthetic oil, tires, whatever you want we have it half the price.

INcidentally shootouts are not uncommon in the loca;s' karaokes, someone did some research and found "MY Way" sung badly was the most common reason.
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - Sue
THe Growler....and so the hand wrote:
> INcidentally shootouts are not uncommon in the loca;s'
> karaokes, someone did some research and found "MY Way" sung
> badly was the most common reason.

Sounds like an eminently reasonable response to me!
Re: beware of Gordon - John Slaughter
As I work from home, will they tax my parking place?

Regards

JS
Re: beware of Gordon - ladas are cool
this government would tax anything if they could, and they are having a really good try ;-)
Re: beware of gordan - Alwyn
Company car drivers are in line for a whack according to how much CO2 their cars produdce.

Of course a lot of the CO2 that comes out the back also went in at the front.
Re: beware of gordan - Jonathan
Wouldn't this be a good time to increase the tax on tobacco. It has already been agreed by hypothecation that any rises would go into the Health service. I am a smoker, and have no problems with paying more for a health service which I might need to use one day.

The economy is already looking unstable, it would not be a good idea to further tax goods by increasing duty on fuel, which would lead to an increase in imports from cheaper eu countries.

Jonathan
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - Reg Male
Read somewhere that a car and passengers emits less CO2 than a cyclist pedalling hard ! : - (
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - THe Growler
Confucius he say: whatever the Government giveth it must first taketh away.
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - ChrisR
>Read somewhere that a car and passengers emits less CO2 than a cyclist >pedalling hard ! : - (

A cyclist uses the same amount of energy as there is in a gallon of petrol every thousand miles. Of course the cyclist would use most of that energy anyway, even lying in bed.

Chris
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - Tomo
It's a curious thing that when so many gadgets and (nice, of course) people are employed in spoiling motoring and making it miserable, it is, even more than ever, taxed as a luxury!
Re: beware of Gordon/Politicians Christmas Album - Reg Male
ChrisR wrote:
>
> >Read somewhere that a car and passengers emits less CO2 than
> >a cyclist pedalling hard ! : - (
>
> A cyclist uses the same amount of energy as there is in a
> gallon of petrol every thousand miles. Of course the cyclist
> would use most of that energy anyway, even lying in bed.
>
> Chris

And?

Or are you saying that they are "cat"atonic in bed (or just when they go through red lights)?