C5 coolant change - machika
Can anyone tell me when/if the coolant should be changed in a C5? The maintenance schedule is not easy to understand and I have yet to find any mention of actually changing the coolant in this car.

I checked the coolant level recently and, whilst the level is OK, the colour is a dirty brown, which doesn't look right to me. The car is just over 3 years old.
C5 coolant change - Bromptonaut
Probably depends on the engine. If its any guide coolant change came up at 75k on my 110HDi Xantia.
I don't think it makes any difference which of the HDIs it is. Ours is a 2.2 HDI. Can you point me to the relevant section in the maintenance schedule where it says it is changed at 75k?
C5 coolant change - PhilW
I think it is "for life" coolant - came up on a recent thread - I will have a search (though DD will probably beat me to it!!)
Perhaps this might help - refers to Xantia HDi but I suspect it is the same for C5 HDi
Couldn't find the thread but found this in my "Revue Technique" for the Xantia HDi
"LIQUIDE DE REFROIDISSEMENT
Capacite : - sans clim. :8,5 litres. - avec clim. : 11 litres.
Depuis l'annee modele 2001, tous les modeles recoivent un nouveau type de liquide de refroidissement. Il est formellement interdit de melanger l'ancien et le nouveau liquide de refroidissement
Preconisation :
- jusqu'a l'annee modele 2000 : liquide Revkogel 107 ou Procor 3000 (protection jusqu'a - 35°C).
- depuis l'annee modele 2001 : liquide Glysantin G33 ou Revkogel 2000. Periodicite d'entretien :
- niveau : tous les 2 ans ou tous les 20 000 km. En entretien severe, tous les ans ou tous les 15 000 km.
- remplacement et purge tous les 120 000 km ou tous les 5 ans jusqu'a l?annee modele 2000. Depuis le millesime 2001 : pas de remplacement preconise du a l'adoption d'un nouveau type de liquide de refroidissement a duree de vie illimitee."

Don't know what your French is like but basically it says (hope I am not being patronising here! My French ain't brilliant!)
Type of antifreeze changed with 2001 model - do NOT mix old and new types.
In pre 2001 models, check the level (niveau - I presume means strength of mixture not just water level) every 2 years or 20k. Purge and replace every 120k or 5 years.
Since 2001 no replacement necessary because of the adoption of a new type of antifreeze which has unlimited life.
I am open to correction here - but I think that's what is says - if unsure ask your French mistress!!!

Phil
After finding that on my computer I found the thread it was in!!
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=25...4

Thank you for your help.

If it is for life, I am a bit worried about the colour of it. As I said, it is a dirty brown colour and I am beginning to wonder if it has been topped up with the wrong sort of anti-freeze. I have never put anything in it myself.

Does anyone know what colour it should be?
Machila,
Some comments from a similar discussion elsewhere - take your pick! Personally I would be happier changing the coolant every 4-5 years rather than leaving it for ever. After all' it isn't that expensive
"Mine was pink when new, but is now a kind of mucky brown/green colour."
""to be replaced every 75000 miles or five years whichever is the sooner"
"Ford use OAT: never change it they say .. or 10 years: and yes in an aluminium engine (Zetec)"
"I would take the last bit about it lasting for life with a pinch of salt, though - would feel happier changing it occasionally."
Phil

Machila - sorry, should read Machika. As a fellow Cit defender I should be familiar with your name!!