Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - Number_Cruncher
Partly inspired by the mention of a new TV program involving old routes between places, I was wondering if people know (and would be prepared to share!) of more relaxing routes which run near to more hectic routes.

As a starter;

When I have time, I prefer to use the B4100 instead of the M42 north of Oxford. IIRC, it used to be the A41, and is mostly deserted. Perfect, stress-free progress!

number_cruncher
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - VTiredeyes
good thread :-)
a roads from brum to stockport, thru buxton. thinks its a5
thru ashbourne?
real nice roads. great in the scoobie.
not nice in winter;-(
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - daveyjp
I occasionally use the A38 from M1 jcn 28 to the M42 south of Tamworth. It's usually quiet and more varied than the M1, A42 route.
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - Bromptonaut
From M40 towards M1/M6. Instead of staying on A43 to J15A and straight to M1 take A5 from Towcester then A426 from Gibbett roundabout either w/b to M6 j1 or e/b to M1 j20. Can also join M1 at j18 by the Daventry Rail Freight Terminal.
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - Altea Ego
My Fav is the A4. Ok its not all that fast but quick in stretches and from Hungerford to Bath is a fascinating journey through ancient history.
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - SjB {P}
On business between London and Glasgow, I prefer to use FL25. That's FL25 as in 25,000 feet. Far nicer than the M40/M42/M6/M74, and I am far more relaxed for the short drive at each end. Well, it is a parallel route, just in a third dimension! ;-)
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - Steve Pearce
25,000 feet is actually FL250.
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - SjB {P}
> 25,000 feet is actually FL250.

Yes, thanks, Steve. As an aviation enthusiast of very many years, I well know that, and have no idea why I wrote otherwise!
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - Mark (RLBS)
presumably you are aware of the story about the pilot who asked control for 3500 only to hear the reply;

"son, if you can get it, you can have it".
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - king arthur
My Fav is the A4. Ok its not all that fast
but quick in stretches and from Hungerford to Bath is a
fascinating journey through ancient history.

No no no no, that's a terrible route to avoid the M4, A4 Newbury to Bath, I wouldn't recommend anyone to use it, in fact can everyone just avoid this road please? Please?
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - Algernon
My brother and I have usually taken the old road over Shap as a relief from the M6; one can get a bit of motoring in!
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - BazzaBear {P}
Once, upon reaching the thelwall viaduct unaware, and without pre-planning, I attempted a detour which ended up taking me through the centre of Warrington.
Wasn't very relaxing though :( ;)
Parallel Routes for relaxed driving - Douglas
A712 instead of A75. Note these roads are in Scotland! And of course taking the diagonal from just north of Carlisle south east to Scotch Corner (and the reverse). Use a combination of A689, B6277, B6279 and B6275. Some are old Roman roads so m'way speeds are possible. You have the choice, relax and stop in Alston for a cuppa or get a move on and enjoy!!

Douglas

PS Watch out for the sheep!
heading southwest? - patpending
my favourite is to drive from Basingstoke towards Dorchester via Salisbury along the A303/A30/A354 etc as opposed to the M3/A31.

To get to this route youy must deviate a little from what the maps/signs initially say: heading SW you must come off the A303 just after the first filling station and heading NE you mut turn right at Lopcombe Corner where the A343 peels off: but on this route you can break your journey in the beautiful town of Stockbridge, the only place I know where you can feed duck AND trout on the High Street!

pat